British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Haza said:

What about the swathes of  empty seats on the top level at Cardiff  ? They are not hidden by the safety fence . 
For me after attending every Cardiff Gp for the first 17 years I became very bored with it and fed up with rip off hotel prices and I ve not missed attending in the slightest for me the highlight of the whole weekend was the Pairs at Somerset on the Friday  and the social side of Cardiff seeing friends I’d only see once a year  - the whole thing needs a shake up in my opinion other than last year when it was in September most years it’s even run on the same weekend each year why not have the last gp one season ?- BV would  not create the same atmosphere as Cardiff though most of it is air horns but one thing definitely the racing would be 100% better . 

Not sure why you can't do both..

Do BV at the very start of the year (as you say great racing to launch the series), and then do Cardiff maybe as the penultimate one, so hopefully all still up for grabs, meaning no threat to crowd levels dropping, which could happen if you run the last GP when all could be done and dusted. (Leave that to the Poles who can guarantee a crowd)..

A 10k crowd at the NSS paying £25 to £30, around five months before Cardiff, wouldn't impact the GP crowd levels in Wales I would suggest..

Suppose it depends on how much the organisers want for the rights to hold a GP at the NSS...

• Like 1

I've seen some great racing at Cardiff in a great atmosphere and some awful racing

I've seen some awful processional spaced out racing at NSS in cold and some great racing at NSS in the warm

People can very easily grow misconceptions and see everything as black and white.

• Like 3

Just as an aside, the University have agreed to move my 2020 accommodation booking to the 2021 dates. :t:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rocket87 said:

A full Belle Vue (which produces a great atmosphere if that's so important to you) or a Cardiff that has swathes of empty seats cunningly hidden by having no tv cameras fixed on it?  I know which one would look better to the casual viewer

Must be on a wind up. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 10:41 AM, Gambo said:

Just as an aside, the University have agreed to move my 2020 accommodation booking to the 2021 dates. :t:

So has my hotel!

On 6/3/2020 at 9:26 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

THE swathes of empty seats are cunningly hidden and not used because they have no view of the track over the safety fence, How can you possibly think the NSS is a better stadium than the Principality is beyond me and the noise and atmosphere, enclosed by the roof, is also something BV cannot match.

I'm not suggesting the NSS is a better stadium than Cardiff.  However, the NSS is a far better track (its arguably the best track in the world) and is based in a far better city.

You can manufacture Cardiff with bunting and glamour as much as you like, but speedway is all about the racing, and Cardiff repeatedly disappoints in that aspect.

1 hour ago, Rocket87 said:

I'm not suggesting the NSS is a better stadium than Cardiff.  However, the NSS is a far better track (its arguably the best track in the world) and is based in a far better city.

You can manufacture Cardiff with bunting and glamour as much as you like, but speedway is all about the racing, and Cardiff repeatedly disappoints in that aspect.

HOW many restaurants, bars, etc are just a few yards from the NSS compared with the Principality. Thousands descend on Cardiff to spend the whole day there. Would not do that around  the NSS. You've lost the argument, lay down and have a nice cup of tea.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rocket87 said:

Yet for many their best ever meeting is Wembley 81, where the racing was not that good.

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yet for many their best ever meeting is Wembley 81, where the racing was not that good.

But far better than anything you'll ever see at Cardiff.  Wembley at least never needed to be booby-trapped to manufacture overtaking.

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HOW many restaurants, bars, etc are just a few yards from the NSS compared with the Principality. Thousands descend on Cardiff to spend the whole day there. Would not do that around  the NSS. You've lost the argument, lay down and have a nice cup of tea.

I think you'll find the vast majority who go to Cardiff go late on and cant be doing with the whole "day out" myth.  And the NSS is hardly out in the sticks.  It's a short bus ride or train ride into Manchester - a far better and more vibrant city than Cardiff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Difficult to describe the atmosphere at Wembley for a  World |Final . GP's arguably a better system  but they can never re produce the Wembley atmosphere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

But far better than anything you'll ever see at Cardiff.  Wembley at least never needed to be booby-trapped to manufacture overtaking.

I think you'll find the vast majority who go to Cardiff go late on and cant be doing with the whole "day out" myth.  And the NSS is hardly out in the sticks.  It's a short bus ride or train ride into Manchester - a far better and more vibrant city than Cardiff.

Been on the beer again I see.... or something stronger.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

HAVE you ever been in Cardiff around 9am on SGP day ... it is already packed with fans from all over the country and elsewhere.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rocket87 said:

Why did they hold world finals at wembley - where racing was often poor- rather than Hyde Rd? Why did people bemoan the loss of Wembley when it was "replaced" by Odsal, which again produced better racing, and indeed, run-offs to determine the world chsmpion? 

• Like 1

I've been to Cardiff probably 15 times since the first GP there and have never failed to have a brilliant weekend. From Friday night through to Sunday morning, speedway fans take over the city and every time, it's been a cracking atmosphere and a lot of fun in and around the stadium and city centre.  It's a hole in my summer this year....as it is for 40,000 others.

Racing wise, there have been 3-4 classics, 1-2 shockers, but by and large pretty good stuff. I think to not enjoy the whole weekend, you'd have to make a very determined effort to be miserable. 

• Like 4

some people like Manchester, some like Cardiff.    The end.     Agree to not agree.