British Speedway Forum

I went to the last four world finals at Wembley and the first six Cardiff gp's (sickened I missed Bomber winning) and Cardiff doesn't compare, although I appreciate how good it is. I just wish we had Cardiff and Manchester. I don't see why not, Poland has three.

8 hours ago, Terry said:

I went to the last four world finals at Wembley and the first six Cardiff gp's (sickened I missed Bomber winning) and Cardiff doesn't compare, although I appreciate how good it is. I just wish we had Cardiff and Manchester. I don't see why not, Poland has three.

When Eurosport events take over in 2022 who knows, you might get Cardiff and Manchester.

3 hours ago, racers and royals said:

When Eurosport events take over in 2022 who knows, you might get Cardiff and Manchester.

Whilst the Welsh government provide funding for Cardiff, I doubt very much you'll see a second gp in Great Britain.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Noodles said:

Whilst the Welsh government provide funding for Cardiff, I doubt very much you'll see a second gp in Great Britain.

Correct. Should Cardiff lose its "British GP" tag and be threatened by another UK-hosted GP then it would be hugely less appealing to the Welsh Government.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, falcace said:

Correct. Should Cardiff lose its "British GP" tag and be threatened by another UK-hosted GP then it would be hugely less appealing to the Welsh Government.

Name it the Welsh GP and they might double the money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Name it the Welsh GP and they might double the money.

Ha! :-) 

Nice try, but I think we all know that to be untrue. The kudos of being the British GP and the exclusivity of having the only GP in Britain to draw fans UK wide are what secures that investment. Without it, there wouldn't be any government support. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, falcace said:

Keep it as the British GP. One at Belle Vue could be the English GP or Commonwealth GP? 

22 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Keep it as the British GP. One at Belle Vue could be the English GP or Commonwealth GP? 

or the European GP slot

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stevehone said:

or the European GP slot

Correct. I think everyone is aligned that you shouldn't devalue the Cardiff GP. I honestly dont think one held at the NSS at the opposite end of the season would adversely impact it. A few would not go to Cardiff as a result. But conversely, maybe you gain some lapsed fans for whom domestic speedway is not appealing, and Cardiff too far to travel. Maybe NSS is only every second year, under the moniker European GP as suggested by stevehone. 

6 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Correct. I think everyone is aligned that you shouldn't devalue the Cardiff GP. I honestly dont think one held at the NSS at the opposite end of the season would adversely impact it. A few would not go to Cardiff as a result. But conversely, maybe you gain some lapsed fans for whom domestic speedway is not appealing, and Cardiff too far to travel. Maybe NSS is only every second year, under the moniker European GP as suggested by stevehone. 

I can't argue with the logic. But as I understand it, it goes much deeper than just a desire to have Cardiff GP as the sole British GP, it's part of the contract with the Welsh authorities. I stand to be be corrected by someone more in the know than I (Phil Rising?), but that's what I understand. And, from a business perspective, I get it. 

19 minutes ago, falcace said:

I can't argue with the logic. But as I understand it, it goes much deeper than just a desire to have Cardiff GP as the sole British GP, it's part of the contract with the Welsh authorities. I stand to be be corrected by someone more in the know than I (Phil Rising?), but that's what I understand. And, from a business perspective, I get it. 

If that's the case, then NSS can't/won't happen. And maybe that's the reason it hasn't already, given it appears to check all the boxes to warrant inclusion in the GP series. 

You'd hope some arrangement could be reached (one year trial, if Cardiff GP crowd drops more than x % yoy then NSS is dropped?)

2 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

If that's the case, then NSS can't/won't happen. And maybe that's the reason it hasn't already, given it appears to check all the boxes to warrant inclusion in the GP series. 

You'd hope some arrangement could be reached (one year trial, if Cardiff GP crowd drops more than x % yoy then NSS is dropped?)

if there was a GP at the NSS (i doubt it'll happen while Cardiff want it), they need to have a lot more going on around the stadium than that one food truck, but there needs to be entertainment and good food, and i think that's the only place NSS fails to tick a box

Commonwealth GP not a good theme at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Commonwealth GP not a good theme at the moment. 

I don't understand tbh...

11 hours ago, falcace said:

SORRY, but I cannot answer that question. Have no idea.

• Thanks 1