British Speedway Forum

On 6/6/2020 at 11:31 PM, Terry said:

I went to the last four world finals at Wembley and the first six Cardiff gp's (sickened I missed Bomber winning) and Cardiff doesn't compare, although I appreciate how good it is. I just wish we had Cardiff and Manchester. I don't see why not, Poland has three.

Poland has three because it can fill out the stadiums. GB has one Grand Prix, which has yet to be a sell out. If Cardiff was full then I would say it would be great to have another in the UK, but it isn't.

The World Finals at Wembley used to sell out. These days a one-off World final would probably not be a sell out, but if it was it would be mainly because of people coming from Poland.

Whether we like it or not, Poland is the centre of the World as far as speedway is concerned.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

Poland has three because it can fill out the stadiums. GB has one Grand Prix, which has yet to be a sell out. If Cardiff was full then I would say it would be great to have another in the UK, but it isn't.

The World Finals at Wembley used to sell out. These days a one-off World final would probably not be a sell out, but if it was it would be mainly because of people coming from Poland.

Whether we like it or not, Poland is the centre of the World as far as speedway is concerned.

Warsaw is 50,000, has that solkd out every year, I don't think so.   Cardiff sells about 40,000.   The other two Polish stadiums are not very big in comparision.    Reading comments on here it seems Gorzow and Torun sell thousands of tickets to UK supporters.     Its not Polish fans filling stadiums.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Warsaw is 50,000, has that solkd out every year, I don't think so.   Cardiff sells about 40,000.   The other two Polish stadiums are not very big in comparision.    Reading comments on here it seems Gorzow and Torun sell thousands of tickets to UK supporters.     Its not Polish fans filling stadiums.

THOUSANDS of British fans? Think that is an over-estimate. If you have been to SGPs in Torun, Warsaw, Gorzow you would know that the vast majority in attendance are Polish. Warsaw has sold out on at least one occasion. 

With regards to Grachan's comment about Wembley, speedway attendances there were often exaggerated, including 1981 which certainly wasn't 100,000 but had a nice 'ring' to it at the time and since.

25 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THOUSANDS of British fans? Think that is an over-estimate. If you have been to SGPs in Torun, Warsaw, Gorzow you would know that the vast majority in attendance are Polish. Warsaw has sold out on at least one occasion. 

With regards to Grachan's comment about Wembley, speedway attendances there were often exaggerated, including 1981 which certainly wasn't 100,000 but had a nice 'ring' to it at the time and since.

Yes more like 70/80 thousand .

every speedway fan should sample a Polish GP, i've been to Warsaw 3 times and absolutely love it, atmosphere i haven't felt in speedway since Wembley '81.

if Cardiff could be filled think how amazing that would be

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, stevehone said:

every speedway fan should sample a Polish GP, i've been to Warsaw 3 times and absolutely love it, atmosphere i haven't felt in speedway since Wembley '81.

Totally agree,  went to Warsaw last year and the atmosphere was fantastic,  much better than Cardiff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

Indeed, been to Torun twice and Warsaw last year. And Wembley  81:)

Edited by topaz325

40 minutes ago, Bendonebunching said:

Totally agree,  went to Warsaw last year and the atmosphere was fantastic,  much better than Cardiff.

Whilst I get your point, a great atmosphere dont make the racing great. Normally is good in poland, but my experience at ullevi was very disappointing. 

Is'nt part of the reason for going to Warsaw that the city is not in a speedway hotbed so may attract spectators who have never witnessed live speedway in the hope that the Polish can maybe expand their leagues further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinMills said:

Whilst I get your point, a great atmosphere dont make the racing great. Normally is good in poland, but my experience at ullevi was very disappointing. 

true, i've seen some rubbish at Wembley, in fact other than a handful of races in '81 that was nothing special, but people remember the atmosphere and just a few races.

if Cardiff was full this would happen there too

10 hours ago, Mark said:

Warsaw been sold out for last couple of years, this year's was sold out in just over a week. The poles are very noisy in and around the stadium, yes a few Brits but not thousands as you say, torun only has 12500 capacity

5 hours ago, stevehone said:

Spot on Steve:t:Done every GP in Warsaw.Done Leszno,Torun,Bydgoszcz too and it blows the myth that Cardiff is a great day out!:rolleyes:Went Cardiff GP once (courtesy of a ticket from a Redcar Bears supporter)and couldn't wait to go home. Been Millenium Stadium on many occasions for rugby with the roof closed at its capacity 73000 and nothing comes close to the atmosphere you'll experience:t:

Edited by bluejam

7 hours ago, bluejam said:

Spot on Steve:t:Done every GP in Warsaw.Done Leszno,Torun,Bydgoszcz too and it blows the myth that Cardiff is a great day out!:rolleyes:Went Cardiff GP once (courtesy of a ticket from a Redcar Bears supporter)and couldn't wait to go home. Been Millenium Stadium on many occasions for rugby with the roof closed at its capacity 73000 and nothing comes close to the atmosphere you'll experience:t:

How is it a myth - because you didn't like it then no-one else could possibly enjoy it? 

Edited by Noodles

19 minutes ago, Noodles said:

How is it a myth - because you didn't like it then no-one else could possibly enjoy it? 

OK I may have got the wording incorrect with myth.Compared to what I've seen at GP venues,Cardiff imo isn't that good.Each to their own.

15 hours ago, stevehone said:

PERSONALLY think the atmosphere at Cardiff is as good as Warsaw even with a few thousands less fans. Much of that is due to the compact nature of the Principality with the roof closed.