British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

In what order would you place these Aussie greats???

4 minutes ago, Pinny said:

In all honesty his days at Oxford were never going to last long  

Pinny how was Craig Watson as a Newport rider? i loved watching him ride along with Smart, Puk, Atkin they were all great value.

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I first see Crump ride in 1992 for  Peterborough at the County Ground and he scored three points.I am sure he came in on a 2.00 point average not sure ????remember him as a young un being with his dad at Swindon and he also did a few laps there to.Never in my wildest dreams did i think he would end up being better than his dad as for me personally his dad was a real legend a world class rider.Jason along with Nielsen, Mauger, Briggs, Olsen, Lee, Michanek, Gollob, are some of the best i have ever seen he has to be up there with the all time greats.His battles with Adams at the Abbey were superb two great riders who had total respect and trust in each other.

Welcome back Sid! Some great names there.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pinny said:

In all honesty his days at Oxford were never going to last long  

Thankfully I had re-located by then...wouldn't have really taken to him.

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Pinny how was Craig Watson as a Newport rider? i loved watching him ride along with Smart, Puk, Atkin they were all great value.

I think he started his career in the UK based at Newport before moving up with Poole?

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Superb , he was outstanding in 1999 and had many guest bookings in the EL for Pboro and impressed. 

sadly got stitched up by Kokko and Norris on his EL debut in 2000 for Poole and smashed his wrist to bits , came back and whilst he didnt get worse he never looked being the future star he did pre 2000. 

dropped back to Newport in 2002 and was still a classy number one and made some good passes but mainly relied on his gating which he hadnt done before his big crash.

lindqvist was another Wasp who had a shocking yet simple shoulder injury in 1999 that ruined his career.

wato tho in 1999 was a class act, went to Swindon for our two wins there and he was always flying later on in the meeting when it mattered.

loved Smart too, he was so exciting to watch and for a rider who quite litreally only probably gave 45-50 percent of his life to the sport , was unbelievable. They dont make them like that anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I think he started his career in the UK based at Newport before moving up with Poole?

Correct, came in 1997 for his debut season at Newport before moving up full time with Poole in 2000 and dropping back to Newport in 2002.

8 hours ago, Pinny said:

Correct, came in 1997 for his debut season at Newport before moving up full time with Poole in 2000 and dropping back to Newport in 2002.

What about the Aussie Hedley Pinny, i really liked him thought he could go farther in the sport.Young Schramm was also  great value always give everything.

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

What about the Aussie Hedley Pinny, i really liked him thought he could go farther in the sport.Young Schramm was also  great value always give everything.

Was that Chris Schramm Sid? Never realised he was an Aussie.

Edited by steve roberts

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

oops sorry  Steve he was as English as they come see him ride in a Conference final once at Rye House   (. Holloway rode) Richie Hawkins won the final.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

You know, Chris impressed me when I saw him, and I thought he had some real potential.

16 minutes ago, chunky said:

You know, Chris impressed me when I saw him, and I thought he had some real potential.

He was decent Chunky really gutsy,  great value, so sorry about our latest spat my full opologies Ok.!!!!! 

On 5/15/2020 at 9:50 AM, gustix said:

Thank you for 'the invite' (!!!) Sidney the robin. I did indeed see Jack Young ride in his days with West Ham and Coventry. He was brilliant in those days. however I have never/not see and of the Australian riders you have named so no companions from me. But a great thread topic. 

Out of interest, when did you stop watching speedway? The 60s?

On 5/12/2020 at 7:11 AM, iris123 said:

Always felt one weakness with Crump was his failure to defend a championship. One year in winning he was truly superb and the next, even though he might have finished 2nd he seemed to go off the boil

A trend in general in the GP era. Is it that a season of performing at the highest level is exhausting and unsustainable? Compared to world final era which required a one night peak, and maybe the experience having won gave an added mental toughness? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Out of interest, when did you stop watching speedway? The 60s?

I think this question is addressed to me. My answer is no. I stopped watching speedway as it should be raced in the 1950s!!!

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

I think this question is addressed to me. My answer is no. I stopped watching speedway as it should be raced in the 1950s!!!

Speedway was still racing "as it should be raced" in the 60's and 70's at least. Let's not forget that the GP in Wroclaw as last year was perhaps the greatest speedway meeting of all time.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1