British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Future Format for British Speedway

Isolation has left me bored so I have been putting together a detailed plan on how British Speedway could look in the future and perhaps even prosper a little bit vs how it operates now.

Over the next week or so I'll post each segment in "parts" as some is quite alot of info for one post.

Will be good to pick it apart, discuss the positives and negatives etc. And generally give us more to talk about

To give an idea before it goes up later in the week

My idea is to move the British Championship into a mini Grand Prix type series and have it as the "main event" of speedway in this country at the same time it gives most support to British riders.

League racing still operates to give spectators that love league racing and team association tho its across two divisions only  (British and National league) with a junior racing/training programme.

It unfortunately loses the GP stars or those more or less guaranteed every meeting in the Polish top flight, I've omitted them tho the calendar in my plans reduces league fixtures so maybe one or two may committ however it's based on clubs operating on its chosen race night where they can gain most footfall.

Would love to hear everyone else's suggestions in the meantime

Structures

Formats 

Etc. 

For me three things need to change massively if you want to keep 'team speedway'

One. Credibility  -  You need an emotional attachment to 'your team'. When your own riders can assist your opponents to be more successful than your own team it simply doesn't engender any emotional attachment. eg Why spend all season following a team who ultimately don't reach the play offs because their best rider went out and won matches for opponents who did? Can't take that seriously. .

Two. Marketing - Some people will say that lowering standards will lower attendances even further. Some will say we should just go it alone without GP stars as crowds are down to die hards now so won't drop significantly from the current position. The truth is bringing back GP riders will only bring back those who are aware of Speedway and used to go. Nikki P for example at Sheffield may put 500 on the gate in his first match. A huge increase for Sheffield but in reality a small actual number of fans. Fans, in the main, who used to go from Sheffield and stopped or/and fans from other 'local' clubs...

Will that increase be sustained?  Not a chance if it follows the usual 'novelty pattern' of 'top stars' returning which sees crowds drop back as the weeks go by..

The sport seems to spend hundreds and hundreds of thousands on riders who have zero impact to crowd levels as the vast majority of people living locally haven't a clue who they are, yet (it appears) hardly a penny is spent on a professional marketing company which could tangibly increase crowds through its output. Invest in this marketing to see if it works..

And Three - Race Nights. The sport has to take place on nights (or afternoons) that you can get most fans in. All business is defined by how many customers it has and any business which only opens when it's employees tell you they are available, so you end up with irregular opening times, is doomed to failure. For many, Speedway is 'entertainment first', so run it when most of your local population can attend. Get the opening hours right as a priority then decide on everything else after that as it doesn't matter what level of Speedway you put on if your opening times are barriers to your potential customers..

In short..

Make it credible so its worth fans actually investing their emotional loyalty into it.

Invest in marketing to raise the profile of the sport and increase the awareness of non Speedway followers, as ultimately no matter what standard of rider or level you run at will make a difference if hardly anyone knows you exist.

And finally, open your doors based on your knowledge of when your largest potential customer volume can get there and not when your employees' personal agenda allows you to do..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Probably one of the best assessments I've read lately, but it is far too sensible to be incorporated into our leagues.   I don't know of another business that cost more to run than it generates.  When Sponsors monies are needed to balance the books, then it time to call it a day.  I'm amazed the sport has lasted as long as it has.   When you read about the costs paid to riders and the value of the equipment they race, you don't need to be Einstein to understand the promoters need more than the scant crowd to make it pay,    Its a recipe for disaster.

It hurts me greatly to see the direction this sport has taken.  Its as though nobody gives a damn for bread and butter racing and the fans who support it,   The sport now is governed by the riders,   who are only concerned with is how many meeting they can  do and how much can they earn...    Loyalty count for very little.

The only way sport in this country can survive, is we forget about SGP and the Polish league, and run our own sport on our terms.  if that means racing on a Saturday then so be it....

We are not good enough to compete on their basis anymore....   but less this way,  we can run the show as we please....  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The biggest sport in the world football wouldn't survive on gate receipts alone!

The last two sentences I quite agree with and think that the sport in this Country would likely do alright out of it? 

On 5/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, g13webb said:

Probably one of the best assessments I've read lately, but it is far too sensible to be incorporated into our leagues.   I don't know of another business that cost more to run than it generates.  When Sponsors monies are needed to balance the books, then it time to call it a day.  I'm amazed the sport has lasted as long as it has.   When you read about the costs paid to riders and the value of the equipment they race, you don't need to be Einstein to understand the promoters need more than the scant crowd to make it pay,    Its a recipe for disaster.

It hurts me greatly to see the direction this sport has taken.  Its as though nobody gives a damn for bread and butter racing and the fans who support it,   The sport now is governed by the riders,   who are only concerned with is how many meeting they can  do and how much can they earn...    Loyalty count for very little.

The only way sport in this country can survive, is we forget about SGP and the Polish league, and run our own sport on our terms.  if that means racing on a Saturday then so be it....

We are not good enough to compete on their basis anymore....   but less this way,  we can run the show as we please....  

The demise of Rye House was probably a good template on all that is wrong with British speedway. Will lessons be learned, let's hope so.

• Like 5

I've not been able to post in depth as I've been flat out working from home and setting up a part time enterprise (see if it goes anywhere) as been meaning to "give it a chance" for a while

Will try and get round to it over the coming weeks

With Rob Godfrey at the helm, I feel that UK speedway will offer more of the same old, same old, in the same slowly rusting manner until professional extinction looms and it keels over and dies. Even though he has got off his backside ( he claims ) and will bring us many new delights.

I will believe that if I live to see it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

With Rob Godfrey at the helm, I feel that UK speedway will offer more of the same old, same old, in the same slowly rusting manner until professional extinction looms and it keels over and dies. Even though he has got off his backside ( he claims ) and will bring us many new delights.

You like him then!

54 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

He does seem to be open to bringing people in 'from outside' so that must be a positive if it influences real change and brings in extra revenue through sponsorship..

Having new (ish) promoters like the current Aces leadership team, who have mentioned in the past the need for more central independent control of the sport, maybe will start to help influence change?

There does seem to be a more dynamic MC than the 'old guard' of years gone by..

This toe in the water of bringing 'outsiders' is hopefully something that will continue and maybe more will be invited in from outside the 'Speedway Bubble'...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

You like him then!

Oh Yes, How fortunate we are - who still love speedway racing in the UK - to have a person leading the sport who is so multi faceted and equipped with a wide variety of much needed skills.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:37 AM, mikebv said:

For me three things need to change massively if you want to keep 'team speedway'

One. Credibility  -  You need an emotional attachment to 'your team'. When your own riders can assist your opponents to be more successful than your own team it simply doesn't engender any emotional attachment. eg Why spend all season following a team who ultimately don't reach the play offs because their best rider went out and won matches for opponents who did? Can't take that seriously. .

Two. Marketing - Some people will say that lowering standards will lower attendances even further. Some will say we should just go it alone without GP stars as crowds are down to die hards now so won't drop significantly from the current position. The truth is bringing back GP riders will only bring back those who are aware of Speedway and used to go. Nikki P for example at Sheffield may put 500 on the gate in his first match. A huge increase for Sheffield but in reality a small actual number of fans. Fans, in the main, who used to go from Sheffield and stopped or/and fans from other 'local' clubs...

Will that increase be sustained?  Not a chance if it follows the usual 'novelty pattern' of 'top stars' returning which sees crowds drop back as the weeks go by..

The sport seems to spend hundreds and hundreds of thousands on riders who have zero impact to crowd levels as the vast majority of people living locally haven't a clue who they are, yet (it appears) hardly a penny is spent on a professional marketing company which could tangibly increase crowds through its output. Invest in this marketing to see if it works..

And Three - Race Nights. The sport has to take place on nights (or afternoons) that you can get most fans in. All business is defined by how many customers it has and any business which only opens when it's employees tell you they are available, so you end up with irregular opening times, is doomed to failure. For many, Speedway is 'entertainment first', so run it when most of your local population can attend. Get the opening hours right as a priority then decide on everything else after that as it doesn't matter what level of Speedway you put on if your opening times are barriers to your potential customers..

In short..

Make it credible so its worth fans actually investing their emotional loyalty into it.

Invest in marketing to raise the profile of the sport and increase the awareness of non Speedway followers, as ultimately no matter what standard of rider or level you run at will make a difference if hardly anyone knows you exist.

And finally, open your doors based on your knowledge of when your largest potential customer volume can get there and not when your employees' personal agenda allows you to do..

Good post,but far to sensible for the people running the Sport to take notice.The sport is still in great shape according to them.They probably think the fans will be flocking back in great numbers when the sport resumes.(Whenever that is).Think riders will be in for shock with their wage demands. Sponsors and Businesses Situation will be interesting.

47 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Good post,but far to sensible for the people running the Sport to take notice.The sport is still in great shape according to them.They probably think the fans will be flocking back in great numbers when the sport resumes.(Whenever that is).Think riders will be in for shock with their wage demands. Sponsors and Businesses Situation will be interesting.

A lot of people will be skint as well. Sport will be way down on their list of priorities.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 7:05 PM, cityrebel said:

The demise of Rye House was probably a good template on all that is wrong with British speedway. Will lessons be learned, let's hope so.

They dont appear to have been, because its very much as you were except for bringing in a Transfer window, and what we will end up with after the Covid situation is anyones guess..

6 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Oh Yes, How fortunate we are - who still love speedway racing in the UK - to have a person leading the sport who is so multi faceted and equipped with a wide variety of much needed skills.

I don't disagree entirely with your sentiment but don't criticise him for trying his best, the poisoned chalice doesn't taste any different - whoever you are

10 hours ago, mikebv said:

He does seem to be open to bringing people in 'from outside' so that must be a positive if it influences real change and brings in extra revenue through sponsorship..

Having new (ish) promoters like the current Aces leadership team, who have mentioned in the past the need for more central independent control of the sport, maybe will start to help influence change?

There does seem to be a more dynamic MC than the 'old guard' of years gone by..

This toe in the water of bringing 'outsiders' is hopefully something that will continue and maybe more will be invited in from outside the 'Speedway Bubble'...

The clueless Godfrey has a proven track record for overseeing the failure of British speedway over the past few years and clearly doesn’t possess the business acumen to run the proverbial booze up in a brewery, he is incompetent and way out of his depth.

As for ‘central independent’ control, whatever that means, of the sport has been talked about for years and will not happen. The Club promoters won’t agree to that, there view is it’s there money and they want to have there say and that will not change. Speedway has been heading to financial disaster for many years and the Covid19 crisis will prove to be the final straw.
Realistically and sadly many other sports and businesses, far stronger and more prominent than speedway, will not survive the effect of this crisis, the serious challenges and financial impact we will all face in the future will be enormous. 

• Like 1