British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Future Format for British Speedway

Reading the plethora of doom and gloom predictions for many of the sports at the top table, eg Football, F1, Rugby, and Cricket, with regards to possible sponsorship issues and how they will pay their huge overheads post C19 as companies adjust their out going priorities...

Is there then a chance for Speedway to attract some of those who would still like to be seen on TV, but would be now looking to spend tens of thousands (at most) rather than hundreds of thousands or even millions?

Some major companies will be pulling out of some huge deals and the likes of F1 and Rugby in particular will be paying out vast sums greater than any 'match day revenue' would cover, hence they are so reliant on this sponsorship money coming in...

Meaning just a few big deals going missing will leave huge holes to be filled, (by possibly no one)..

Without wishing to sounding mercenary,  maybe Speedway could piggy back on the back of their dilemma and hoover up some of the much lesser cash on offer? 

Some deals that will be on the table post C19 will make hardly any difference to those who need millions to survive, however, as all things are relative, some of these deals could be seen as huge with regards to what British Speedway is used to and could make a massive positive difference to the sport..

For me. Someone should already be putting a few feelers out to companies that Speedway ordinarily wouldn't even consider as they are 'out of their league'. As I would suggest some big names will be down sizing massively but will still want themselves seen on live sport coverage, and as it's now on Eurosport too there is an even larger audience reach...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

Reading the plethora of doom and gloom predictions for many of the sports at the top table, eg Football, F1, Rugby, and Cricket, with regards to possible sponsorship issues and how they will pay their huge overheads post C19 as companies adjust their out going priorities...

Is there then a chance for Speedway to attract some of those who would still like to be seen on TV, but would be now looking to spend tens of thousands (at most) rather than hundreds of thousands or even millions?

Some major companies will be pulling out of some huge deals and the likes of F1 and Rugby in particular will be paying out vast sums greater than any 'match day revenue' would cover, hence they are so reliant on this sponsorship money coming in...

Meaning just a few big deals going missing will leave huge holes to be filled, (by possibly no one)..

Without wishing to sounding mercenary,  maybe Speedway could piggy back on the back of their dilemma and hoover up some of the much lesser cash on offer? 

Some deals that will be on the table post C19 will make hardly any difference to those who need millions to survive, however, as all things are relative, some of these deals could be seen as huge with regards to what British Speedway is used to and could make a massive positive difference to the sport..

For me. Someone should already be putting a few feelers out to companies that Speedway ordinarily wouldn't even consider as they are 'out of their league'. As I would suggest some big names will be down sizing massively but will still want themselves seen on live sport coverage, and as it's now on Eurosport too there is an even larger audience reach...

I am of the opinion that only major sports should receive assistance. 

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, gustix said:

I am of th´opinion that only major sports should receive assistance. 

I realise you could be acting obtuse to give speedway more stick, but the post isn't about assistance, it is about sponsorship. So are you saying speedway shouldn't receive sponsorship or are you mixing things up ? Just posting to get attention ? The thing is though, why shouldn't everyone, big and small, sport, business or private person receive assistance if they need it? In some cases at this time I have read that restaurants etc might be taxed less. Now that isn't giving them money, but helping them get through this difficult time by not taking so much off of them. Might be a way for sport as well....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I realise you could be acting obtuse to give speedway more stick, but the post isn't about assistance, it is about sponsorship. So are you saying speedway shouldn't receive sponsorship or are you mixing things up ? Just posting to get attention ? The thing is though, why shouldn't everyone, big and small, sport, business or private person receive assistance if they need it? In some cases at this time I have read that restaurants etc might be taxed less. Now that isn't giving them money, but helping them get through this difficult time by not taking so much off of them. Might be a way for sport as well....

I am speaking as a British taxpayer. Do you fit that criteria?

Just now, gustix said:

That has nothing to do with the argument/discussion. The point was about sponsorship and trying to get some.

But if you want to go further, then do you think restaurants and small businesses should be left to fail  through no fault of their own ?

I think the UK government is OTT in regard to the way it is dishing out financial assistance at the present time. It all heralds for wage earners in future years the potential of much increased tax  burdens.

43 minutes ago, gustix said:

11 minutes ago, gustix said:

Why does PL football need help, the major sport in the country, don't understand that comment at all there are loads of minor sports, including Speedway, who may or may not survive, who would need very small amounts of money to survive, and yes I am a UK tax payer

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Why does PL football need help, the major sport in the country, don't understand that comment at all there are loads of minor sports, including Speedway, who may or may not survive, who would need very small amounts of money to survive, and yes I am a UK tax payer

Your  opinion and you are entitled to it. If its for minor sports how will table tennis, baseball. billiards, snooker and more meet the needed criteria. Not sure about darts though!!! 

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

:lol:

I spoke to a company last week that has pulled out of sponsoring a rider in BSB and I mentioned speedway as a cheaper alternative.

They declined even with the cost involved its cost vs exposure and even with the Eurosport deal in place they said it was the overall presentation of the sport which is a no 

I'll keep trying lol

11 hours ago, gustix said:

Why? A lot of the top sports performers weekly income far exceeds many peoples annual income. They could easily cut costs. 

12 hours ago, gustix said:

I am of the opinion that only major sports should receive assistance. 

11 hours ago, gustix said:

I think the UK government is OTT in regard to the way it is dishing out financial assistance at the present time. It all heralds for wage earners in future years the potential of much increased tax  burdens.

9 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

I spoke to a company last week that has pulled out of sponsoring a rider in BSB and I mentioned speedway as a cheaper alternative.

They declined even with the cost involved its cost vs exposure and even with the Eurosport deal in place they said it was the overall presentation of the sport which is a no 

I'll keep trying lol

IMO the last quote sums up general attitude towards speedway.

10 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

I'll keep trying lol

This is a big issue which Speedway has failed to overcome, how do we make Speedway more sexy to the general public ?, the rules and regs certainly dont help it, especially when a rider appears for 1 Team on Monday, another on Thursday and maybe guests for a 3rd Team on Friday, this is just one aspect the sports hierarchy have failed to grasp over many years.

• Like 1

I think Speedway needs to look at Cricket, it was a Sport that was basically dying with county games watched by one man and his dog and thats still the case, International (5 Day) Test Cricket has always been popular, and had very little tweaks and its the income from these Internationals thats distributed down to the counties, and enables the counties to survive, but its the introduction of the shorter version of the game which has saved it and continues to bring in new spectators, with a new competition due to be introduced this season, there were/are no more stick in the muds than the MCC but they realised things had to change if the sport was to survive,  Cricket is also weather dependant as is Speedway and their is very little that can be done about that, they run various competitions of the shorter variety but most of these run when people are able to watch them, they have jazzed the game up to make it more exciting but still rely on someone sending a ball down to either get the other guy out or get whacked as far as the other player can hit the ball, the essential part of the game remains, hit the ball or get out..

Speedway could do worse than run a competition alongside the normal League,  rather than have A&B fixtures run the League as 1 home and away fixture, then have another competition and maybe use handicap racing, Im not suggesting this as a way forward but something different, Iv also suggested previously have some 1 lap races during a meeting, spectators want the instant excitement these days, if they see speedway as being the first out of the gate wins or all over after the first 2 bends then give them what they want.. fast and furious is what spectators want to see, with the 1 lappers have the next race ready to come out as soon as the other riders have completed the race.. just my thoughts on comparing our sport with another sport thats re-invented itself and continues to do so, we really need to do the same or something very similar..

Oh as an after thought, the TV companies love the shorter version of Cricket as well as Test matches, theirs no reason to believe the same should not apply to fast and furious Speedway.. never mind no brakes no fear ;).

Edited by greyhoundp

A shorter version for Speedway?

What 1 lap dashes? The meeting split and a point for each section? 

Cant see anything that would be a real difference to what is a shirt burst minute at a time show anyway