British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Future Format for British Speedway

One lap dashes, blimey they used to run them in the second half at Ipswich right up to 89/90

Yes, I remember seeing Phil Morris do one of those one lap track record attempts. Social distancing at its best, but boring as watching paint dry

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

One lap dashes, blimey they used to run them in the second half at Ipswich right up to 89/90

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes, I remember seeing Phil Morris do one of those one lap track record attempts. Social distancing at its best, but boring as watching paint dry

Yes and thats the issue, 1 lappers seen by diehard fans as boring but to the general public thats what speedway is first out of the tapes wins, so we simply have to give them what they want and make Speedway more sexy, Im just putting things out their, lets have some more ideas as to how to get fans to want to watch speedway, but it cant be the same old, same old as Cricket has found out... carry on as it is and its dead everyone knows that its when and not if.. so its change or else.. Note im not saying just 1 lap fast and furious, Im saying yes the same 4 lap procession as we usually see (according to the general public) for 1 home and away fixture, then when that League has finished another League combining Handicap racing and 1 lap fast and furious equivalent to the "Big Bash" yes its only words but 1 lap fast & furious sounds better than 1 lap dash.

Yes im bored after all this lockdown, but lets start thinking outside the box.. before Speedway as we know it is finally put in its box.. ;)

• Thanks 1

Yes, but isn’t it the start that is harder on the bikes ? So probably means more cost to the riders for little gain . Just a thought

IMO a a 'one lap  dash/fast and furious' call it whatever you like is no equivalent to a 'big bash' 

In big bash terms it would be like having one ball overs and no running

• Like 1

Figure of 8 speedway, over 4 laps maybe :rolleyes:, fear might keep the racing close, slight design change on the footrest and exhaust might be needed though. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Haha 2

Thats been happening for years !  or is it just that british speedway has been going backwards for years

7 hours ago, gazzac said:

Figure of 8 speedway, over 4 laps maybe :rolleyes:, fear might keep the racing close, slight design change on the footrest and exhaust might be needed though. 

need 2 steel shoes as well ............

Well carry on as we are, I give it how many years 5/7 certainly not 10, look around on the terraces how many under 40,s are their and thats being generous.. a potential sponsor said they didnt like how speedway is presented but it seems the old diehards are perfectly satisfied.. Jeez how long are you going to keep the blinkers on, Speedway is on its knees in the Uk.. but carry on marching the riders out to their bikes, carry on taking 2+ hours to run a meeting that should take 1 hour at most, carry on having tractor racing, carry on having the same riders appearing for 2/3 teams, carry on playing 80,s music between heats, after all its been proven thats what the modern day spectator wants to see not!. Ohhh and i forgot its what major TV companies want to avoid, and Newspapers continue to ignore... but no lets not change anything because it aint broke..

• Thanks 2

It's hard to think of genuinely good ideas that could turn its fortunes around.  I've not seen the newer cricket so I don't know why it's popular,, but I would have a guess at a load of spectators having a good laugh in a party atmosphere,, where a pretty decent amount of alcohol is drunk. The same way darts has taken off in a big way.   Maybe speedway could take a leaf out of their books,,, but most stadiums ain't in the greatest of areas,, normally outside of towns. 

A guy I know who watches live cricket and says many spectators get bored, partake a good few lemonades and then hold 'how many empty plastic beer glasses can I pile up before they fall over' competitions....

2 hours ago, martinmauger said:

A guy I know who watches live cricket and says many spectators get bored, partake a good few lemonades and then hold 'how many empty plastic beer glasses can I pile up before they fall over' competitions....

Martin live cricket is more about the social occasion, all day sat down with your mates drinking beer generally having a good laugh and not getting covered in crap . (Well not till later when everyone has had to much beer)

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 10:31 AM, iris123 said:

Yes, but isn’t it the start that is harder on the bikes ? So probably means more cost to the riders for little gain . Just a thought

Suppose you could have rolling starts to help with this