British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Speedway on Ancestry.co.uk

During a break from my family tree research I decided to check out passenger lists of ships and found the following iconic entries

Lionel Van Pragg - Listed as Professional Motor Cyclist. Arrival date as 3/4/1936 via New York on the "Aquitania" bound for Wembley Stadium.  He departed from Southampton on the 3/10/1936 on board the "Empress of Britain" for Cananda. Of course during that period he became the first Speedway World Champion.

Ronald (Ronnie) Moore - Arrival date as 13/5/52 via Sydney arriving at London on board the "Ranchi"

Ivan Mauger - Listed as presser. Arrival date as 16/3/1957 via Wellington arriving at Southampton on board the "Rangitoto". Also date of departure as 23/10/1958 from London on the same ship.

Barry Briggs - Listed as student. Arrival date as 13/5/1952 via Sydney arriving at London on board the "Ranchi". Same trip as Ronnoe Moore.

Ove Fundin - Listed as mechanic (Address Strand Palace Hotel, London) Departure date as 13/10/1954 from Lodon and destination Sydney on board the "Oronsay"

Peter Craven - Listed as speedway rider. Arrival date as 5/4/1957 at Southampton via Durban, South Africa on board the "Pretoria Castle' His wife Brenda was with him...may well have been on his honeymoon whilst riding?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 4

How did you find the passenger lists?

18 minutes ago, Grachan said:

How did you find the passenger lists?

On the Ancestry.co.uk web-site of which I'm a member under "Search" and then "Immigration and Travel" where there is a passenger lists option...good fun. I've also checked out movements of the Hollywood stars of that era.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

During a break from my family tree research I decided to check out passenger lists of ships and found the following iconic entries

Lionel Van Pragg - Listed as Professional Motor Cyclist. Arrival date as 3/4/1936 via New York on the "Aquitania" bound for Wembley Stadium.  He departed from Southampton on the 3/20/1936 om board the "Empress of Britain" for Cananda. Of course during that period he became the first Spedway World Champion.

Ronald (Ronnie) Moore - Arrival date as 13/5/52 via Sydney arriving at London on board the "Ranchi"

Ivan Mauger - Listed as presser. Arrival date as 16/3/1957 via Wellington arriving at Southampton on board the "Rangitoto". Also date of departure as 23/10/1958 from London on the same ship.

Barry Briggs - Listed as student. Arrival date as 13/5/1952 via Sydney arriving at London on board the "Ranchi". Same trip as Ronnoe Moore.

Ove Fundin - Listed as mechanic (Address Strand Palace Hotel, London) Departure date as 13/10/1954 from Lodon and destination Sydney on board the "Oronsay"

Peter Craven - Listed as speedway rider. Arrival date as 5/4/1957 at Southampton via Durban, South Africa on board the "Pretoria Castle' His wife Brenda was with him...may well have been on his honeymoon whilst riding?

Yes, Steve - there’s plenty if you dig deep enough

Also the British Newspaper Archive is awash with speedway reports - eg reports of Tom Farndon’s crash, hospitalisation, death and funeral 

Just now, Midland Red said:

Yes, Steve - there’s plenty if you dig deep enough

Also the British Newspaper Archive is awash with speedway reports - eg reports of Tom Farndon’s crash, hospitalisation, death and funeral 

Thanks for that...beats continually having to read posts about coronavirus. I'm looking for distractions during this period personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m on my last batch of holiday photos, then I’m back into Ancestry with a vengeance ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Thanks for that...beats continually having to read posts about coronavirus. I'm looking for distractions during this period personally.

pssst don't tell DC or the Witch about this thread then  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jrs said:

pssst don't tell DC or the Witch about this thread then  ;)

...don't worry we'll get coronavirus on here at some time as it worms its way thru' the various threads.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Lionel Van Pragg - Listed as Professional Motor Cyclist. Arrival date as 3/4/1936 via New York on the "Aquitania" bound for Wembley Stadium.  He departed from Southampton on the 3/20/1936 om board the "Empress of Britain" for Cananda. Of course during that period he became the first Spedway World Champion.

Just wondering Steve, do you mean Van Praag left for Canada on 20.03.1936 or is it maybe 03.10.1936 ?

I was reading he received 500 pounds for winning the title. Also that he fell in 5 out of 9 races after winning the title

Seems he wasn't making as much out of the sport in 1936 as some of those earlier pioneers were. He reckoned 1,000 pounds a year, because 80% of his earnings went on the bikes and mechanics etc 

Edited by iris123

34 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Just wondering Steve, do you mean Van Praag left for Canada on 20.03.1936 or is it maybe 03.10.1936 ?

I was reading he received 500 pounds for winning the title. Also that he fell in 5 out of 9 races after winning the title

Seems he wasn't making as much out of the sport in 1936 as some of those earlier pioneers were. He reckoned 1,000 pounds a year, because 80% of his earnings went on the bikes and mechanics etc 

Sorry my mistake...yes he left for Canada on the 3rd October 1936.

• Like 1

Good stuff. Of course in the 1930s the departure and arrival of some of the top riders was of interest to the national press. Seen photos, a lot of Vic Huxley and his wife being photographed at Paddington Station etc as they leave or at the docks when they arrive

• Like 1