British Speedway Forum

I had occasion to speak with Eric once on the 'phone. What a charming man he was.

One of the great journalists who captivated me when I was reading 'Speedway Star' all those years ago.

A writer I much admired.

R.I.P. + Eric.

• Like 2

Very sad indeed, much admired, liked and respected. Condolences to all his family and friends.

R.I.P. Eric.

Very sorry to learn of the passing of Eric Linden. Eric stuck with speedway throughout the bad times of the mid-1950's when he had other irons in the fire and could easily have ditched it and concentrated on these. He had common sense views on speedway and it's problems of the times, and was blunt in his opinions, but he never slated the sport or it's promotors.  

May he rest in the peace of the Lord.

• Like 1

Yes, R.I.P. Eric, thanks for the legacy of Speedway Star. Stu

Only just read this. Sad day for Speedway with the passing of one of the best ever Speedway journalists. I luckily had a number of occasions to communicate with him. He was a true gent and professional who was always a pleasure to work with and never at any time did he "talk down" to my semi amateur status. Not so well known was that he was also an excellent announcer who could add a lot to a meeting with his humour and knowledge.

RIP Eric/Angus/Danny. A real Speedway Great.

3 hours ago, Wessex Wanderer said:

Only just read this. Sad day for Speedway with the passing of one of the best ever Speedway journalists. I luckily had a number of occasions to communicate with him. He was a true gent and professional who was always a pleasure to work with and never at any time did he "talk down" to my semi amateur status. Not so well known was that he was also an excellent announcer who could add a lot to a meeting with his humour and knowledge.

RIP Eric/Angus/Danny. A real Speedway Great.

HE was announcer at Wimbledon for many years and also had the microphone at a number of Wembley World Finals.