British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

England's best what order.??

18 hours ago, chunky said:

That looks good to me...

Looking through the seven riders only four of those became  British Champion Ashby,Betts,N.Boocock missing out.Being fair to Nigel he was in a real tough era where Briggo, Ivan, P.C dominated the title from 1961/72.

1. Louis

2. Simmons

3. Wilson

4. E. Boocock

5. Betts

6. N. Boocock

7. Ashby

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Looking through the seven riders only four of those became  British Champion Ashby,Betts,N.Boocock missing out.Being fair to Nigel he was in a real tough era where Briggo, Ivan, P.C dominated the title from 1961/72.

I don't just use the British Final as a guide; I also look at averages/domestic form and World Final appearances. That is why I rate Nigel as highly as I do.

• Like 1

Very difficult to separate the last six behind a runaway no.1

Nigel Boocock,  Ray Wilson, Terry Betts, Malcolm Simmons, Martin Ashby, John Louis, Eric Boocock

World final appearances       N.Boocock 8, Ray Wilson 4, E.Boocock 3, Malcolm Simmons 3 T.Betts 1 M.Ashby 1 J.Louis 4.When rating riders this probably should be the biggest factor maybe the appearances show just how strong the era was.Only five world final appearances between Simmons, Betts, Ashby which is  quite amazing really.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

World final appearances       N.Boocock 9, Ray Wilson 4, E.Boocock 3, Malcolm Simmons 3 T.Betts 1 M.Ashby 1 J.Louis 4.When rating riders this probably should be the biggest factor maybe the appearances show just how strong the era was.Only five world final appearances between Simmons, Betts, Ashby which is  quite amazing really.

As we have always said, for years, the most difficult round from which to qualify was the British Final.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chunky said:

As we have always said, for years, the most difficult round from which to qualify was the British Final.

I have on DVD the 1974 British Final...that was a tough final judging by those taking part.

Mauger, Briggs, Boulger, Sanders, Ray & Reg Wilson, Collins, Betts, Simmons, N & E Boocock, Valentine, Louis, Ashby, McMillan, Jessup...a real "who's who" of speedway back then. Of course by the following year (despite the non-participation of the Anzacs) it became even  more diffiult when only five (?) qualified and continued along that vein for a number of years.

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I have on DVD the 1974 British Final...that was a tough final judging by those taking part.

Mauger, Briggs, Boulger, Sanders, Ray & Reg Wilson, Collins, Betts, Simmons, N & E Boocock, Valentine, Louis, Ashby, McMillan, Jessup...a real "who's who" of speedway back then. Of course by the following year (despite the non-participation of the Anzacs) it became even  more diffiult when only five (?) qualified and continued along that vein for a number of years.

From 1961 /72 Briggs won 6 British titles with 5 places ,    Ivan won four titles with two places both dominated really apart from Craven's two title wins before his untimely death.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

From 1961 /72 Briggs won 6 British titles with 5 places ,    Ivan won four titles with two places both dominated really apart from Craven's two title wins before his untimely death.

First British Final I attended was in 1978 when Gordon Kennett sneaked thru' after a run-off if I remember? Of course it was infamous for Peter Collins' 'sugar in the fuel' episode.

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

World final appearances       N.Boocock 9, Ray Wilson 4, E.Boocock 3, Malcolm Simmons 3 T.Betts 1 M.Ashby 1 J.Louis 4.When rating riders this probably should be the biggest factor maybe the appearances show just how strong the era was.Only five world final appearances between Simmons, Betts, Ashby which is  quite amazing really.

I suppose Sid you have to factor in ,  not only WF appearances but how well they did. Personally I am so hopelessly biased towards Simmo and Ashby, as personal favourites I find it difficult to be objective, but that said, I think Simmo at his best is probably the overall best but he wasn’t always at his best. N.Boocock was undoubtedly the most consistent over a long period, so on that basis he comes in at 1 . Simmo at his best v- Booey at his best  I think Simmo would get it from the gate. Booey was never a great gater, although he did improve as the years went on.

I also think Norman Hunter had the talent to be up with them if he had not had that bad hand injury at Prestatyn.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I suppose Sid you have to factor in ,  not only WF appearances but how well they did. Personally I am so hopelessly biased towards Simmo and Ashby, as personal favourites I find it difficult to be objective, but that said, I think Simmo at his best is probably the overall best but he wasn’t always at his best. N.Boocock was undoubtedly the most consistent over a long period, so on that basis he comes in at 1 . Simmo at his best v- Booey at his best  I think Simmo would get it from the gate. Booey was never a great gater, although he did improve as the years went on.

I also think Norman Hunter had the talent to be up with them if he had not had that bad hand injury at Prestatyn.

Yes Norman is a great shout Addio was averaging  well over 10 in 1969 and after that injury was never the same.Ashby has to go down as  a real frustration for me i see him everyweek and knew just how good he could be.His record does not stand up as it should have he had so much skill as a rider and i would say 1975 was his best year along with his Exeter spell.

Coming in a bit late to this topic. From a Wolves perspective I had utmost respect for Nigel Boocock. He was unbeatable round the Green in the late 60's.  Then Norman Hunter came along and beat him three times in one night. He became a top Wolf that night. So sad that damn meeting in Prestatyn happened. Nowadays (until C-19 happened) I get the chance to take the dogs to Barkby beach and drive right past the Holiday Camp where the track was. Shame Pontlditz wasn't built earlier. 

Edited by Lefty
Spelling

27 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes Norman is a great shout Addio was averaging  well over 10 in 1969 and after that injury was never the same.Ashby has to go down as  a real frustration for me i see him everyweek and knew just how good he could be.His record does not stand up as it should have he had so much skill as a rider and i would say 1975 was his best year along with his Exeter spell.

The thing that always amazed me was that Martin qualified relatively early in his career, but couldn't add to that as he matured.

Just now, chunky said:

The thing that always amazed me was that Martin qualified relatively early in his career, but couldn't add to that as he matured.

I think the run off with Ray in 1975 probably tells you everything about Martin really Chunky.The 1972 BLRC with ( Barry's  help ) showed you what he was capable of and it was only a peaking Olsen that beat him.He did ok internationally won the Superama and Victor Ludorum in Norden 1975  so he could mix it  with the best but when you analyse his career it does not do him justice really.