British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Lack of Speedway on TV

41 minutes ago, HGould said:

Need some reality I think.

Why would BBC / ITV want to or have the need to show Speedway at this time when they have tens of thousand of hours of 50 other far more popular (to mainstream TV Sports).

The 3 obvious Sports exclusive channels we could expect to see Speedway on are Sky / BT Sport / Eurosport.

As we all know though as usual fate has not landed kindly for Speedway!

Sky gave up the ghost a few years ago and is now apathetic at best.

BT Sport got the product on the cheap, very cheap, only upped the ante when they realised they could lose the product, have lost UK rights now and lose GP rights from 2021

Eurosport gained UK coverage but not yet any to show and have access to some recent Swedish / Euro Champ if they want to use it.

Devil and Deep Blue Sea seems to be the best description.

Sky won't be bothered, BT Sport toys out of the pram can't be bothered and Eurosport can't really help very much at this time.

Meanwhile all 3 show other forms of 2 wheel and 4 wheel motorsport highlights of the past.

No blame here just fate!

Sadly I think that you're right.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:19 AM, cityrebel said:

From a long standing fan of over fifty years, i just don't think speedway makes good TV viewing. The amount of meetings i record and never watch is substantial, yet i attended 80 live meetings last season. The whole product needs a revamp, but with a worldwide recession on the horizon, this seems very unlikely.

UK domestic speedway ( as we know it ) IS truly a gonna ( IMHO)! Game over and it's just writhing around towards a slow agonising death. If it werea dog, we would want to rush it to a vet to be put to sleep. Pity, because it was such a good companion for many years.

46 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

UK domestic speedway ( as we know it ) IS truly a gonna ( IMHO)! Game over and it's just writhing around towards a slow agonising death. If it werea dog, we would want to rush it to a vet to be put to sleep. Pity, because it was such a good companion for many years.

This is the PROBLEM, pure negativity in every topic on THE BRITISH SPEEDWAY FORUM !!!!!!!!!

Everyone just pulls it down and slates it !!!!!!!!

WELL BELIEVE IT OR NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE BELIEVE IN IT.

My parents always told me, if you have something to say, say it, but be objective and offer a potential solution.

Until all the negativity from so called fans is eradicated, or as your post states put to sleep. How can it move forward.

• Like 3

Whilst there is no 'live' action taking place at the moment, it surely can't be outside the marketing capabilities of either the BSPL or the several video companies to put together a decent 'highlights' package of several meetings - with a decent commentary - to be available to the wider audiences - including some of the Sky and BT league coverage as they don't hold any rights now!!.

We all know that however good a particular meeting can be there will always be some duff heats, which even the most supportive afficionados wouldn't want to see again, let alone any potential newcomers. Include a few 'handbags' or controversial moments as well as some brilliant actual 'racing from the top drawer', together with a list of tracks where and when speedway can be viewed (post Covid-19 obviously), and make it available on every social media platform, forum and  You-Tube etc and to every club to use as a promo in their own locality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, secsy1 said:

This is the PROBLEM, pure negativity in every topic on THE BRITISH SPEEDWAY FORUM !!!!!!!!!

Everyone just pulls it down and slates it !!!!!!!!

WELL BELIEVE IT OR NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE BELIEVE IN IT.

My parents always told me, if you have something to say, say it, but be objective and offer a potential solution.

Until all the negativity from so called fans is eradicated, or as your post states put to sleep. How can it move forward.

I think you will find that many on here who appear negative have in the past voiced their thoughts on ways forward and things that could be changed to make the sport appear more professional and improve the product. 

Sadly most of the time we get shouted down and told all is well. 

It's not always being negative but honest about the situation the sport in the UK finds itself. 

Having watched the sport since the late 80s I was lucky in that the first few years the sport still came across as reasonably professional and the crowds at least at my local track were still pushing 4000 a week. 

Over the last 20 to 25 years the sport has been slowly run into the ground becoming evermore micky mouse. 

I'm sure that there are still a number of people who continue to support the sport enough to watch live and can live with all the things that are wrong and turn it in to a total joke.....sadly they are the few thousand and the the tens of thousands that used to live it. 

I'm ready to be slated and told I'm negative however I think it's safe to say that I'm in the majority. sad times