British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your best speedway year

3 hours ago, chunky said:

1969 for me. Although I have some happy memories from before then, that seems to be when speedway actually enveloped me. In particular, Mirac coming back (I wasn't old enough to actually remember watching him previously) was a big deal for me, and that was also my first World Final.

1969/1972/1983 are the years that i enjoy looking back on the most great memories.1969 was  a blur and still enjoy researching that year to this day.Pander, Harrfeldt, , Harrysson are riders i can't really remember seeing yet saw them ride Knutsson, Craven are the two riders I would of loved to see ride.

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

1966 has to be one of the most interesting years in the history of British speedway .Eric Boocock garecrashed the top ten as the highest ranked rider from the old Provincial league to prove the gap could be bridged if good anough.The top 10 averages in 1966 were 1.Briggs - 11.12.       2. N.Booccock- 10.54      3.E.Boocock -10.46.     4. Nordin - 10.44.     5. Nygren - 10.40.     6.Pratt - 10.00.    7.Harrfeldt - 9.89.    8. Mauger - 9.82.         9. Mckinlay- 9.67.       10. Broadbank 9.57. 

I really would have liked to have been around to have witnessed the birth of the British League...it must have been so exciting and fresh.

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I really would have liked to have been around to have witnessed the birth of the British League...it must have been so exciting and fresh.

The days of usually seeing the opposing teams no 1 sometimes only once a year ( barring individual meetings) made it special for me.The teams were varied tracks so different my favourite tracks had to be Hyde Rd, The Shay, Blackbird Rd , Waterden Rd, County Ground as we all know there was some dross along the way but the good well outweighed the bad.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The days of usually seeing the opposing teams no 1 sometimes only once a year ( barring individual meetings) made it special for me.The teams were varied tracks so different my favourite tracks had to be Hyde Rd, The Shay, Blackbird Rd , Waterden Rd, County Ground as we all know there was some dross along the way but the good well outweighed the bad.

That is what I have always said; there was such a variation in track sizes, shapes, and surfaces, it was always interesting.

1969. My first full season happily coinciding with a relatively successful season for Cradley. Of course Bernie became my hero, but didn't miss many meetings so hit to see most of the top riders.

1 hour ago, salty said:

1969. My first full season happily coinciding with a relatively successful season for Cradley. Of course Bernie became my hero, but didn't miss many meetings so hit to see most of the top riders.

John Boulger, Bernie Persson ( forgave him in 1972 ) Simensen, Perks, Erik were my favourite heathens over the years Salty.

15 hours ago, steve roberts said:

It was, and West Ham was a great place to enjoy it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

One track I would have loved to have visited!

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

One track I would have loved to have visited!

Massive track and stadium. Enjoyed visiting New Cross, Wimbledon, Ackney, West Am, Wembley, never got to White City. Also loved the Coventry and Worky track and stadium, all sadly gone now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

1966 has to be one of the most interesting years in the history of British speedway .Eric Boocock garecrashed the top ten as the highest ranked rider from the old Provincial league to prove the gap could be bridged if good anough.The top 10 averages in 1966 were 1.Briggs - 11.12.       2. N.Booccock- 10.54      3.E.Boocock -10.46.     4. Nordin - 10.44.     5. Nygren - 10.40.     6.Pratt - 10.00.    7.Harrfeldt - 9.89.    8. Mauger - 9.82.         9. Mckinlay- 9.67.       10. Broadbank 9.57. 

Colin Pratt also deserves a mention as a former Provincial League rider who came good.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Split said:

Colin Pratt also deserves a mention as a former Provincial League rider who came good.

Also Split did the classy Nordin come straight into the top ten as a virtual newcomer.?

On 4/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, waiheke1 said:

1982. First full season watching. League champions, with a fellow kiwi, all time favourite rider Larry Ross riding at number 1. Mort and Pc in heat 13. A 16 year old andy Smith making his debut.

Quality visiting riders who excelled around Hyde Rd, such as Carter, Gundersen, Penhall, S Moran. 

Good times!

Yep same as. Great year. The Penhall/Carter clash was also a big deal (still is!). Had my first ventures to some away tracks too...the Shay, Owlerton and Brandon. Larry Ross was brilliant that year. I think his away average was better than PC and Mort, which speaks volumes of his importance that year. 

5 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Ruddy cold when the wind blew in from the river, though!

44 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Also Split did the classy Nordin come straight into the top ten as a virtual newcomer.?

When you say, Nordin was a newcomer, Sid, it is true that 1966 was his first year in the British League, but he was third in the World Championship in 1961 and 5th in 1962 and 1963, and Wimbledon's top scorer in 1964, so not really a newcomer. He was already a world class rider..

Edited by norbold

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Massive track and stadium. Enjoyed visiting New Cross, Wimbledon, Ackney, West Am, Wembley, never got to White City. Also loved the Coventry and Worky track and stadium, all sadly gone now.

From that list, the only one I never got to was the Cross.

I was thinking the other day, the vast majority of tracks I visited have gone.