British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your best speedway year

18 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Speedy Pete won the 1964 Pride of the Midlands at Wolverhampton as you say a tough un and very underrated.I can remember seeing him in his later years in the NL for Eastbourne still very useful prepared the track at Poole for quite a while another unsung hero.

He also appeared a handful of times for "The Rebels" in 1975 due to our promotional tie-up (great days) and, of course, he was very involved with the construction of the White City track. He ran a training school at Cowley during the winter of 1975/76 and I recall Pip Lamb being a regular and Gary Spencer (whatever happpened to him?) Pete was also Team Manager of "The Cheetahs" in 1978...great team with the likes of George Hunter, David Shields, John Hack, Carl Askew etc.

52 minutes ago, chunky said:

I'm so sorry... The pork and stuffing sandwiches, and incredible pork scratchings, were worth the trip alone!

I only ever went once, 1965, as it was the match away to Cradley Heath that won West Ham the league that year. Sadly, I didn't try the pork and stuffing sandwiches.....

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Thanks. That makes me feel a whole lot better about missing out. :unsure: ;)

Well I did go to the track. But as it was before the internet and never seeing it mentioned in the Star, I didn't even realise it was on sale or such a delicacy !!!

1 hour ago, norbold said:

I only ever went once, 1965, as it was the match away to Cradley Heath that won West Ham the league that year. Sadly, I didn't try the pork and stuffing sandwiches.....

31 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well I did go to the track. But as it was before the internet and never seeing it mentioned in the Star, I didn't even realise it was on sale or such a delicacy !!!

I don't recall pork sandwiches on sale at the track until the 1980s.  Fairly certain they were not available in 1965.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

I don't recall pork sandwiches on sale at the track until the 1980s.  Fairly certain they were not available in 1965.

That's good news. So I didn't miss out on this great delicacy then.

1976 for me. I had just left school and started my job and (of course) the long hot summer came along soon afterwards!

Watching PC dominate the league season and go on to take the title in Katowice - priceless.

It was also the year that Alan Wilkinson took another step forward to become a true heat leader.

Great racing at Hyde Road with brilliant visitors such as Jessup, D Morton, Simmons, Betts, Wyer and Olsen.

Happy days!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Garry1603 said:

1976 for me. I had just left school and started my job and (of course) the long hot summer came along soon afterwards!

Watching PC dominate the league season and go on to take the title in Katowice - priceless.

It was also the year that Alan Wilkinson took another step forward to become a true heat leader.

Great racing at Hyde Road with brilliant visitors such as Jessup, D Morton, Simmons, Betts, Wyer and Olsen.

Happy days!

Collins did he ever make the gate at Hyde Rd??? i often think he gets forgotten Garry certainly when Tai is concerned.With a bit of luck he could of won three world titles the thing with Peter was he was around with three legends in there pomp Ivan, Ole, Anders.He took it to them and was on a level with them also he was the most exciting rider to watch in the world.I don't know what has gone on but one of my greatest wishes would be for Belle Vue now to bury the hatchet with Peter and let's see him at the NSS on a regular basis.Was thinking god what would Peter be like at the NSS the track would be made for him he could pass anywhere inside or out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Collins did he ever make the gate at Hyde Rd??? i often think he gets forgotten Garry certainly when Tai is concerned.With a bit of luck he could of won three world titles the thing with Peter was he was around with three legends in there pomp Ivan, Ole, Anders.He took it to them and was on a level with them also he was the most exciting rider to watch in the world.I don't know what has gone on but one of my greatest wishes would be for Belle Vue now to bury the hatchet with Peter and let's see him at the NSS on a regular basis.Was thinking god what would Peter be like at the NSS the track would be made for him he could pass anywhere inside or out.

I remember reading John Berry's comparison between Peter Collins and Chris Morton. He always thought that both could give opponents a head start at Hyde Road and overcome their lack of gating prowess but he did think that Peter could gate if he put his mind to it at tracks that were less complimentary whereas he felt Chris lacked that ability having to rely more than Peter on his ability to pass opponents. Apparently that was one reason when England boss he went with the inexperienced Kelvin Tatum rather than Chris during the World Pairs in 1985.

• Like 1

For me, Tai was not a patch on PC. One was a rider who won all there was to win, turned up and proudly rode for their country winning ten world championship honours, and was the darling of the sport and further popularised it at the time. The other was, in comparison, someone who could not be arsed, as it was all about him. Sad but true.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember reading John Berry's comparison between Peter Collins and Chris Morton. He always thought that both could give opponents a head start at Hyde Road and overcome their lack of gating prowess but he did think that Peter could gate if he put his mind to it at tracks that were less complimentary whereas he felt Chris lacked that ability having to rely more than Peter on his ability to pass opponents. Apparently that was one reason when England boss he went with the inexperienced Kelvin Tatum rather than Chris during the World Pairs in 1985.

Correct in parts. England never won it again after Chris and PC did the business for both their club, country and city.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Great point Steve , even though he did not achieve as much as Peter ( he still had a fantastic career) for me as racers there was  not that much between them.Chris longevity wise was terrific a great team man and influence  and for excitement there were not to many better .His pass of Carter in the 1983 Northern riders championship ( on you tube) was sublime never tire of watching that.Also he beat Hans in the 1984 BLRC when Hans was getting near to being the superstar he was  no mean feat indeed.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, one of clubs said:

For me, Tai was not a patch on PC. One was a rider who won all there was to win, turned up and proudly rode for their country winning ten world championship honours, and was the darling of the sport and further popularised it at the time. The other was, in comparison, someone who could not be arsed, as it was all about him. Sad but true.

Even as a Hyde Road regular I cannot vouch for the truth of that at all. Both great riders in different eras. But your black and white narrative is untrue and clouded in sentimentality.

PC opted out of British Speedway and riding for Belle Vue and England in 1981 and again in 85 (making himself only available for selection for the World Pairs if required). As I understand it, he was also ruthless in his financial negotiations with Belle Vue, even coming close to going to Leicester and King's Lynn in the 80s. PC did what was best for PC. Fair enough. It's a short career and he understood his value and leveraged it.

I'm sure Tai Woffinden has a similar approach. It's no coincidence that some of the most successful riders in the sport's history - Mauger, Briggs, Fundin, Olsen, Pedersen, Rickardsson all put themselves first and foremost. That's what separates the great from the very good. Just as PC is not Mr Perfect, neither is Tai Woffinden Dr Evil either. He has raised £100k for Great Ormond Street and £35 for Cancer Research UK. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, norbold said:

That's good news. So I didn't miss out on this great delicacy then.

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I can confirm that pork sarnies not available at CH in the 60's. However as stated they were in the 80's. I came back to UK on vacation in 1989 and made a point of going to CH-always my favorite track to visit CH-great and friendly supporters always-wonderful place.. I was thus able to purchase one of these great delicacies, so I can confirm that Norbold -you missed the treat of a lifetime. Greetings to all CH forumlanders and thanx for the memories!!

1 minute ago, BOBBATH said:

I can confirm that pork sarnies not available at CH in the 60's. However as stated they were in the 80's. I came back to UK on vacation in 1989 and made a point of going to CH-always my favorite track to visit CH-great and friendly supporters always-wonderful place.. I was thus able to purchase one of these great delicacies, so I can confirm that Norbold -you missed the treat of a lifetime. Greetings to all CH forumlanders and thanx for the memories!!

?