Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your best speedway year

2012 another good year for me. Swindon's first title for 45 years. The 2 Wessex clubs, Poole and Swindon, far ahead of everyone else. Swindon 7 points up from home leg in Wiltshire, keeping it tight down in Dorset. No Ward for Poole, no Doyle for Swindon. Swindonian Rosco collapsing on the track in tears. Hans Andersen fantastic captain.

28 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

2012 another good year for me. Swindon's first title for 45 years. The 2 Wessex clubs, Poole and Swindon, far ahead of everyone else. Swindon 7 points up from home leg in Wiltshire, keeping it tight down in Dorset. No Ward for Poole, no Doyle for Swindon. Swindonian Rosco collapsing on the track in tears. Hans Andersen fantastic captain.

Just a shame that neither Oxford or Reading are involved now...cracking local derbies down the years. Now only "The Budgies" exist.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:47 PM, norbold said:

When you say, Nordin was a newcomer, Sid, it is true that 1966 was his first year in the British League, but he was third in the World Championship in 1961 and 5th in 1962 and 1963, and Wimbledon's top scorer in 1964, so not really a newcomer. He was already a world class rider..

Nordin was certainly no newcomer to British speedway as he appeared on National League tracks as early as 1960.

https://bellevue-speedway.com/belle-vue-teams-1960s

14 minutes ago, Split said:

Nordin was certainly no newcomer to British speedway as he appeared on National League tracks as early as 1960.

https://bellevue-speedway.com/belle-vue-teams-1960s

Yes Split you are totally right Nordin was reasonably hardened, but to go straight in like E.Boocock and get in a top ten was quite a step up the level was high.Going by what Eric Boocock said i sensed he didn't really know what to expect other than he was going to enjoy himself whatever the outcome.

2 hours ago, falcace said:

Even as a Hyde Road regular I cannot vouch for the truth of that at all. Both great riders in different eras. But your black and white narrative is untrue and clouded in sentimentality.

PC opted out of British Speedway and riding for Belle Vue and England in 1981 and again in 85 (making himself only available for selection for the World Pairs if required). As I understand it, he was also ruthless in his financial negotiations with Belle Vue, even coming close to going to Leicester and King's Lynn in the 80s. PC did what was best for PC. Fair enough. It's a short career and he understood his value and leveraged it.

I'm sure Tai Woffinden has a similar approach. It's no coincidence that some of the most successful riders in the sport's history - Mauger, Briggs, Fundin, Olsen, Pedersen, Rickardsson all put themselves first and foremost. That's what separates the great from the very good. Just as PC is not Mr Perfect, neither is Tai Woffinden Dr Evil either. He has raised £100k for Great Ormond Street and £35 for Cancer Research UK. 

I'm getting tired of you coming up with such sensible and well thought-out posts. There is clearly no place for you on the BSF...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, chunky said:

I'm getting tired of you coming up with such sensible and well thought-out posts. There is clearly no place for you on the BSF...

Ha! Thank you Steve. Tbh, for the last couple of days I've spent more time on pork sandwich and crackling forums. :D

48 minutes ago, falcace said:

Ha! Thank you Steve. Tbh, for the last couple of days I've spent more time on pork sandwich and crackling forums. :D

Can't say I blame you! Pork and stuffing sarny sounds good right about now...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chunky said:

Is it sensible really??? i see both sides of the argument do you really think Tai was as passionate of riding for Great Britain as Peter Collins.? No way in my opinion he kept his options open Tai for me in my humble opinion comes behind Craven, Collins, Lee, (i.e.) in my humble opinion he never EVER won a one off final.

22 hours ago, Garry1603 said:

1976 for me. I had just left school and started my job and (of course) the long hot summer came along soon afterwards!

Watching PC dominate the league season and go on to take the title in Katowice - priceless.

It was also the year that Alan Wilkinson took another step forward to become a true heat leader.

Great racing at Hyde Road with brilliant visitors such as Jessup, D Morton, Simmons, Betts, Wyer and Olsen.

Happy days!

Just thought I'd mention that as great as PC was that year, crowned with a fully deserved world title, he wasn't the top Englishmen in the league. That accolade goes to John Louis, who topped the averages with 11.10, PC was 4th on 10.98. Head to head in the league that year JL won 3-0, including two wins at Hyde Road. Alan Wilkinson was the only BV rider to beat the Tiger. But quite agree that 1976 was a great year! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Just thought I'd mention that as great as PC was that year, crowned with a fully deserved world title, he wasn't the top Englishmen in the league. That accolade goes to John Louis, who topped the averages with 11.10, PC was 4th on 10.98. Head to head in the league that year JL won 3-0, including two wins at Hyde Road. Alan Wilkinson was the only BV rider to beat the Tiger. But quite agree that 1976 was a great year! 

Great post Shrub Michael Lee when  he won his title,  Jessup.was the main man in 1980. Lee though  against Collins in 1980 that ride won him  the  title thinking back how did Lee win a world title in 1980 god knows.He got over that really bad injury he got at the 1980 NEC.indoor meeting and he came back and regrouped.

You are right Sid and Falcace, I think its disgusting how people on this most interesting thread are focusing on Cradley's pork sarnies  I for one  am searching out food websites for posh recipes and restaurants  and also Jamie Olivers site (who wants to eat those friggin' veggies as per his School Dinners show)Thus I will never mention the CH pork sarnies on this thread ever again!!. They weren't half good though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

?

One of the things I really liked about Cradley was that little bit of 'edge' on the terraces, much more fun than the dull, morgue like atmosphere you get at speedway today. Good race track too and pork sarnies a must. I'm sure the banter there back then was top notch - if I could understand a word the locals were saying....!

• Like 1

Just now, Shrub said:

One of the things I really liked about Cradley was that little bit of 'edge' on the terraces, much more fun than the dull, morgue like atmosphere you get at speedway today. Good race track too and pork sarnies a must. I'm sure the banter there back then was top notch - if I could understand a word the locals were saying....!

Yes we at Oxford used to have some 'fun' with their fans...mostly good banter but occasionally it would get out of hand.

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Is it sensible really??? i see both sides of the argument do you really think Tai was as passionate of riding for Great Britain as Peter Collins.? No way in my opinion he kept his options open Tai for me in my humble opinion comes behind Craven, Collins, Lee, (i.e.) in my humble opinion he never EVER won a one off final.

Opinions don't matter here; FACT does. Everything falcace said is true.

You are right when you say Tai never ever won a one-off final; he wasn't riding then...

Edited by chunky

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Opinions don't matter here; FACT does. Everything false said is true.

You are right when you say Tai never ever won a one-off final; he wasn't riding then...

Both the PC's     and Lee never had the chance to express themselves in a GP format Chunky ??? .