British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your best speedway year

15 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Bjorne had panache, Sverre had dash. Bjorne had what it took to win more titles. Sverre in full flight could have been champion. What I do know is that having Knutson, Harrfeldt, Hunter, McKinlay and Simmons at Custom House made Hammers fans very happy.

....and Olle Nygren,  Christer Loftquist, and Tony Clarke in later years ! 

Just now, E I Addio said:

I never really took to Olle but Chister was magic. I don’t know if I dreamed this or imagined it but I have a memory of seeing two sidecar speedway riders tragically lose their lives at Custom House. I have seen mention of it anywhere so probably a false memory. No doubt Norbold would know.

4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Collins only 9 for skill?  I’d have thought 9.5, but only 8.5 for equipment.

Yes there were certainly some interesting observations...I guess that he may well have been 'blinded' by Collins not being a master of the Ipswich track and basing his judgement accordingly?

11 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

I never really took to Olle but Chister was magic. I don’t know if I dreamed this or imagined it but I have a memory of seeing two sidecar speedway riders tragically lose their lives at Custom House. I have seen mention of it anywhere so probably a false memory. No doubt Norbold would know.

I’ve never heard of sidecar racing ever being staged at Custom House, and certainly no fatalities. To the best of my knowledge there were four fatalities, all solo riders, two in the mid sixties and two in the early fifties. Three, I think fell and were hit by following riders, and of course Teo who hit the safety fence. 

Of course there were those who died in the Lokoren tragedy.  That hit me very hard. I really thought Peter Bradshaw and especially Martin Piddock had big futures in the sport. Peter had a beautiful classy style that I loved watching. Martin was already a quality grasstracker when he came to Custom House and I really felt he was going to be a second Malcolm Simmons.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

And we must never forget Stan Stevens.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I’ve never heard of sidecar racing ever being staged at Custom House, and certainly no fatalities. To the best of my knowledge there were four fatalities, all solo riders, two in the mid sixties and two in the early fifties. Three, I think fell and were hit by following riders, and of course Teo who hit the safety fence. 

Of course there were those who died in the Lokoren tragedy.  That hit me very hard. I really thought Peter Bradshaw and especially Martin Piddock had big futures in the sport. Peter had a beautiful classy style that I loved watching. Martin was already a quality grasstracker when he came to Custom House and I really felt he was going to be a second Malcolm Simmons.

My recollection is this was a one-off second half event, though I edhave no record of it. Probably dreamed it. I don’t think I ever really got over Lokeren. 1964-1971... lots of good memories and some really bad ones, but I will always look back on my Custom House years fondly.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

I've never come across that - that's not to say it didn't happen, but I have no knowledge of it.

• Thanks 1

The only sidecar death I remember was at Wimbledon during the National Press Trophy meeting in 1967.....Damn, I can ever remember his name Chris Jackson!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Just checking John Berry's "More Confessions" and he broke down into three categories when wishing to come up with his best ever. They were for "Skill",  "Equipment" & "Mental Strength" 

Mauger 9 - 10 - 9-5

Rickardsson 9-5 - 9.5 - 9.5

Nielsen 9.5 - 9.5 - 9

Briggs 9 - 8.5 - 10

Fundin 9.5 - 8.5 - 9.5

Olsen 9.5 - 9 - 9

Penhall 9 - 9.5 - 9

Collins 9 - 9 - 9

Gundersen 9 - 9 -9

j.Crump 9 - 9 - 9

Lee 9.5 - 9.5 - 7

Michanek 9 - 8.5 - 8

His analysis on each rider I found interesting and obviously very much open to personal opinions/observation. Interesting he gave 'Briggo' a ten for "mental strength" but when you read John's close analysis you can see why!

Thanks Steve. That's an interesting way to measure them. Of course it's still all subjective whether it be John Berry or any of us plebs :wink:

I too think PC would be higher on skill...or perhaps he is under scoring him based on starting. He could gate, but wasn't consistently lightening...lucky for us! 

When I look at that list, I regard Rickardsson and Penhall of the ones I have seen that are the complete riders. Highly professional, able to win from front and back, fast and great under pressure. To unwittingly poke the hornets nest, I'd put Woffinden along them too in that regard. I'm sure Norbold may have another name or two to any list of "complete" racers. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, andout said:

The only sidecar death I remember was at Wimbledon during the National Press Trophy meeting in 1967.....Damn, I can ever remember his name Chris Jackson!

I was at that meeting so this is probably what I am remembering, albeit incorrectly.

1 hour ago, falcace said:

I'm sure Norbold may have another name or two to any list of "complete" racers. 

Tom Farndon! ;)

I'd go for 10-5-10!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I’ve never heard of sidecar racing ever being staged at Custom House 

Well before your time, Arthur Noterman won a sidecar race at Custom House on 9th October 1928.

18 hours ago, E I Addio said:

..................  but on the subject of Knutson, are you aware of the actual reason he retired so early norbold ? I’ve heard people speculate on it and based on ah interview in SS I formed the impression that he felt he had had a good run, reached the pinnacle of World Champion, and came through relatively unscathed apart from a broken arm, so he decided to quit while he was in front, but that’s just my impression and I’ve always wondered about the real reason . 

I think it's possible that Björn simply became disenchanted with the sport. I remember seeing him yawning (yes yawning!) during the pre-meeting parade for the 1965 world final. I wonder if it’s precisely because it didn’t mean that much to him anymore that his nerves didn’t get the better of him  - as in the previous big meetings - and he was able to become World Champion that night.  

I seem to remember reading that after retiring from speedway, he tried his hand at car racing but I might be wrong.

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Just checking John Berry's "More Confessions" and he broke down into three categories when wishing to come up with his best ever. They were for "Skill",  "Equipment" & "Mental Strength" 

Mauger 9 - 10 - 9-5

Rickardsson 9-5 - 9.5 - 9.5

Nielsen 9.5 - 9.5 - 9

Briggs 9 - 8.5 - 10

Fundin 9.5 - 8.5 - 9.5

Olsen 9.5 - 9 - 9

Penhall 9 - 9.5 - 9

Collins 9 - 9 - 9

Gundersen 9 - 9 -9

j.Crump 9 - 9 - 9

Lee 9.5 - 9.5 - 7

Michanek 9 - 8.5 - 8

His analysis on each rider I found interesting and obviously very much open to personal opinions/observation. Interesting he gave 'Briggo' a ten for "mental strength" but when you read John's close analysis you can see why!

That's really interesting, so basically he regarded Rickardsson as the best 'all rounder' in that respect. Personally I'd have given Mauger a 10 for mental strength as well, which would have put him (slightly) clear at the top.

Collins and Gundersen would have got a 9.5 for skill for me as well, but otherwise I think that's a very good impartial assessment - and he should know!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

That's really interesting, so basically he regarded Rickardsson as the best 'all rounder' in that respect. Personally I'd have given Mauger a 10 for mental strength as well, which would have put him (slightly) clear at the top.

Collins and Gundersen would have got a 9.5 for skill for me as well, but otherwise I think that's a very good impartial assessment - and he should know!

I'd certainly give Mauger a 10 for mental strength. John Berry in his book did suggest that he would probably change a few of his assessments on second reading.

Personally I always find lists (especially the "best of") difficult as I would probably be changing my mind on a regular basis...I've tried playing the game with films and come up with a different list everytime with the occasional regular call!

• Like 1