British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your best speedway year

20 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I was there- the night before the Munich world final.

I was present at Briggo's first bash at Coventry in 1988 and another at a later date again at Coventry but can't recall exactly when that was?

Edited by steve roberts

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was present at Briggo's first bash at Coventry in 1988 and another at a later date again at Coventry but can't recall exactly when that was?

There was one at Swindon 1990.

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

There was one at Swindon 1990.

Yes I missed that one unfortunately.

Yes, and of course the Golden Jubilee meeting at Hackney in 78 was basically a golden greats as well

29 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes, and of course the Golden Jubilee meeting at Hackney in 78 was basically a golden greats as well

No it wasnt. 

There was the Simmo v Jack Parker match race and some vintage bikes But the main meeting was a 20 heat individual event featuring British riders of the day.

Edited by Grand Central

4 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

No it wasnt. 

There was the Simmo v Jack Parker match race and some vintage bikes But the main meeting was a 20 heat individual event featuring British riders of the day.

Ok. I thought there was more and Fundin etc were also involved. My bad memory

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Looks as if there was another Golden greats at Landshut on 28th August  1993.

Yes I was there, sure it was night before World Final at Pocking, remember sitting in an old hanger waiting for the rain to stop

1 minute ago, Red Flag said:

Yes I was there, sure it was night before World Final at Pocking, remember sitting in an old hanger waiting for the rain to stop

You are correct night before Norden- i was at Norden but not Landshut that year.

2 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

You are correct night before Norden- i was at Norden but not Landshut that year.

Was definitely Landshut for me, I’ve never been to Norden, 

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 12:48 PM, Sidney the robin said:

The days of usually seeing the opposing teams no 1 sometimes only once a year ( barring individual meetings) made it special for me.The teams were varied tracks so different my favourite tracks had to be Hyde Rd, The Shay, Blackbird Rd , Waterden Rd, County Ground as we all know there was some dross along the way but the good well outweighed the bad.

I got an 'orrible feeling that the dross you are talking about includes the homes of my 2 favourite teams-Somerton Park Newport and Station Road Long Eaton!!! Any other candidates you can think of??

1 minute ago, BOBBATH said:

I got an 'orrible feeling that the dross you are talking about includes the homes of my 2 favourite teams-Somerton Park Newport and Station Road Long Eaton!!! Any other candidates you can think of??

Eastville Bristol- pathetic track !!!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:50 AM, chunky said:

From that list, the only one I never got to was the Cross.

I was thinking the other day, the vast majority of tracks I visited have gone.

I was thinking the same thing Steve-the tracks that I went to that are still around are Sheffield, Poole, Ipswich, Berwick and Swindon-all the others are long one sadly. Went to Ipswich and Berwick when I came back to UK on vacation over the years-so only three from the sixties left!! And I gather Swindon may be on the way out too.

56 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

No it wasnt. 

Yes, won by Michael Lee. And it was freezing cold!