British Speedway Forum
Theboss

British Speedway to be reborn?

1 minute ago, Crabba59 said:

Why can't we run with the engine's they tried in the meeting that was run at the isle of wight? It would be cheaper for riders promoters ect. And the racing maybe better? What do people think?

I never knew about this, what engines were these and how much do they cost?

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Any rider on a British licence will have to ride just in Britain then surely....

If said rider wanted to be based in Poland and ditch the British Leagues then I would expect his licence to be revoked......

There is one particular British rider for whom you can see that particular scenario happening unfortunately. 

Just now, jchapman said:

I like the idea of 250cc bikes prior at the start of a meeting and then 500cc standard spec bikes for the main event. 

No idea why music is so bad at some tracks, many moons ago you could understand it as the cost of a DJ was prohibitive for some tracks but now we have spotify and can upgrade to ad free music for just £10 per month! Speaker systems have also been an issue for many moons because of the cost, however it would now be easy to broadcast through an app so supporters could hear it through their headphones connected to their mobile phone.

The issue isn't the music that's available. It's the choice of whoever is selecting what to play. The best thing is to play a variety from all eras - from 60s to current - and mix it about.

The idea of having meeting music broadcast through an app and through a pair of headphones is, in my opinion, a terrible idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garry1603 said:

As others have said, it looks like there's virtually no chance to have any meaningful team meetings this season, all we can hope for is to be allowed to run some open meetings.

If, and it's a big 'if', we get the go ahead (say in August / September), how about each track hosting a 'Festival of Speedway' round for the British based riders (of any division) - maybe with a 'final' at the NSS on tv for the top scorers? Maybe even have under 15s in their own category and / or sidecar racing if it were feasible.

As has been said though - any costs would have to be outweighed by the revenue generated.

People will be desperate to get out and about again and if it were marketed properly it might just attract a few new fans / sponsors for next season.

Some say that I'm a dreamer...………...

I'd accept any form of racing right now. The lovely spring weather adds to the frustration. If it was pouring down every day, i wouldn't give it much thought.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jchapman said:

It was 2v jawa. All the riders did a ballet for engine's then fitted into there own bikes.  If you look on YouTube it's on the isle of wight page. All the engine's where sealed 

13 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

There is one particular British rider for whom you can see that particular scenario happening unfortunately. 

Is he " british" ? Or just when it suits?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Grachan said:

The issue isn't the music that's available. It's the choice of whoever is selecting what to play. The best thing is to play a variety from all eras - from 60s to current - and mix it about.

The idea of having meeting music broadcast through an app and through a pair of headphones is, in my opinion, a terrible idea.

Generally, I'd agree, but it could be an option if somebody wanted it.  I was thinking more of rider interviews, updates, scores from round the country, even in race commentary, just something to keep the customer engaged and feeling part of the occasion rather than as an inconvenience as it sometimes feels.

Edited by Garry1603

1 minute ago, Garry1603 said:

Generally, I'd agree, but it could be an option if somebody wanted it.  I was thinking more of rider interviews, updates, scores from round the country, even in race commentary, just something to keep the customer engaged.

As a way of keeping score I think it is a decent idea, although people can always go to the Updates site if they want to know the score without a programme.

A much better idea. A decent scoreboard. This should be a must at every track like it is with Ice Hockey & Basketball. Just a simple place to look and see the score. End of a race, update the scoreboard. Simple.

An app for music will never work. Who would even listen to it? If people want to hear music on headphones they will play their own. And if people did, for some reason, do it then it would kill any atmosphere stone dead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garry1603 said:

As others have said, it looks like there's virtually no chance to have any meaningful team meetings this season, all we can hope for is to be allowed to run some open meetings.

If, and it's a big 'if', we get the go ahead (say in August / September), how about each track hosting a 'Festival of Speedway' round for the British based riders (of any division) - maybe with a 'final' at the NSS on tv for the top scorers? Maybe even have under 15s in their own category and / or sidecar racing if it were feasible.

As has been said though - any costs would have to be outweighed by the revenue generated.

People will be desperate to get out and about again and if it were marketed properly it might just attract a few new fans / sponsors for next season.

Some say that I'm a dreamer...………...

Not sidecars! I enjoy watching sidecars but the rip up the track causing problems for the solos.

Not sure that's right when they had the bigger wheels and grass tyres may have been true,  but now they use speedway tyres so no different to solos ?

I agree that a scoreboard should be at every stadium but then I was brought up at Wimbledon who used the dog racing boards they had from the time I started going in 1959. They had the heat result, time and score up on the board. Could be very useful if the speakers were not working too well.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Crabba59 said:

Not sure that's right when they had the bigger wheels and grass tyres may have been true,  but now they use speedway tyres so no different to solos ?

Modern solos do enough damage, especially at the start. Side cars are carrying twice the weight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Didn’t the BSPA buy lots of engines a bit back, maybe they have some left over that will be going cheap?

A few years back when I was watching the speedway at Auburn in California they started with three heats of quad bike racing. The track coped with that and possibly helped the grading. 

18 minutes ago, Crabba59 said:

Maybe have solos first and s/cars as second half  attraction perhaps .