British Speedway Forum
Theboss

British Speedway to be reborn?

With age dynamic of supporters and cost of modern electronic boards not sure how either are going to have any impact at all.

Standard engines are fine as long as a single manufacturer can make enough. Jaws who supplied ice racing engine to IOW Nice Challenge would struggle to make enough available.

Could be real milage in R2 and bring mainstream manufacturers in to the sport.

One big regionalised league, set pay rates per win, 2nd, 3rd 4th like the 80,s, and a max admission of £12 with Clubs forced to adhere to pay rates would be a start.

Abolish BSPA and create a new independent body.

If the track preparation is right then I don't think there is a problem with both on the same track 

1 hour ago, Crabba59 said:

It was 2v jawa. All the riders did a ballet for engine's then fitted into there own bikes.  If you look on YouTube it's on the isle of wight page. All the engine's where sealed 

The Swan Lakeside Hammers, come to mind. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Lefty said:

A few years back when I was watching the speedway at Auburn in California they started with three heats of quad bike racing. The track coped with that and possibly helped the grading. 

They had some quad bike racing at Lakeside a few years back. It was a very wet day but they didn’t seem to do a lot of track damage. However they have more bulbous and less nobly tyres and less powerful engines than speedway bikes, so the power is being transmitted to the track entirely differently. Quad bike racing like side cars are unbelievably boring on a speedway track.

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

I agree that team meetings should be written off, however if the government restrictions allow it I would hope a few open meetings could be held before end of October

Probably the best solution.

I've thought for years now that a non superstar British League would be just fine. I only ever watched D2/NL/CL and the quality of racing was fine plus we had local lads like Martin Dixon as our heroes, not Mauger, etc, etc I know big names are a draw but we just can't afford them.

I.believe that close quality racing with identifiable - with racers is preferable to big names. I know others feel the same but i also know others crave big names.

Sheffield are going to see a boosted attendance with Nicky but how many and for how long? I hope it doesn't bust them

While I appreciate the element of speculate to accumulate etc, if tracks haven’t been in a place where they have the disposable income to spend on scoreboards before I doubt they will now, nor do I think it would be crowd growing if they did.  I don’t think it is such things that have kept people away but rather a crap product across the board

I would apply that same disposable income theory to possible attendees (and sponsors) as well, it will most likely be a while before a decent % of people have the money to keep attendances where they were (poor) let alone grow them or change the destiny of the sport. The majority of tracks will do well to survive this, which in turn will diminish the number of riders who choose, or actually have the choice to make it their profession or even hobby. 

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HGould said:

With age dynamic of supporters and cost of modern electronic boards not sure how either are going to have any impact at all.

Standard engines are fine as long as a single manufacturer can make enough. Jaws who supplied ice racing engine to IOW Nice Challenge would struggle to make enough available.

One big regionalised league, set pay rates per win, 2nd, 3rd 4th like the 80,s, and a max admission of £12 with Clubs forced to adhere to pay rates would be a start.

Think you final idea would make sense if nothing is being done to create a new blueprint for the sport!

Think you are right Johnathan it's just a pity you never carried on when you was doing the super 7 series.  Hope you're all keeping safe and well. 

6 hours ago, jchapman said:

I agree that team meetings should be written off, however if the government restrictions allow it I would hope a few open meetings could be held before end of October

With 22 clubs in total in the UK, and around 50 British riders of a 'top three division' level (some taking a break from the sport, some recently retired but may be tempted back?), would it possible for every club to put in say £5k and run a £110,000 prize fund British Championship? Using the sponsorship money already agreed for the season with their sponsors? 

Lots of qualifying meetings around the country. (One a week at each track). But advertising the "£110k Big Prize" in all their promotion of each individual event?

Paying out an average £600 a night per rider in the qualifying meetings, running a 12 man entry, and that's around £9k you would need to take to pay the riders and pay the VAT..

Would you get away with around 12k costs in total per night?

(Maybe rents could be renogotiated given stadium owners will have had zero income?)

If so 800 paying £15 would cover costs..

Riders would get to ride four or five times a week around the country (maybe more but five times would get the 'Mr Average' rider £3k a week),  and the sport could advertise a "Big Time" prize fund which may generate some added interest from others outside of the sport, or, more likely maybe, lapsed fans or non regulars...

If any 'top name' non British riders are available, maybe domiciled over here, and happy to race for the money, they could either be 'guested' in for the odd night as a wild card whose scores won't impact the overall competition. (Similar how other motor sports like BSB let a world level competitor compete in a National Championship on an ad hoc basis), or, if they can commit to the full competiton, take a place in the line up. (Plenty of UK based overseas riders have rode in, and won BSB Championships)..

Run the Final for £110k at the NSS with the top 16 riders from all the qualifiers..

Plenty of racing for British lads in particular,  plenty of money to be earned riding several nights a week, and a massive prize fund with which to increase the sports' standing and hopefully deliver a huge crowd (and media coverage), for the final...

Whatever Speedway we do get (if any) those who run it should spend this time thinking outside of the box and how best they can make a huge impact when 'normality' returns, as they will be fighting against other sports relaunching themselves too, and there will only be so much 'leisure money' available to be spent. .

Edited by mikebv

3 hours ago, HGould said:

It's a team sport with a fairly complicated scoring process. Every match should have the score on display in some form or other.

I cannot understand why they don't, although I suspect it is so they can flog more programmes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HGould said:

Seems to me if a Promoter wants a certain rider and that rider wants a certain sum say £60 a point, and the maximum pay rate was £50 a point,  the promotion would get a sponsor to pay the extra £10, so how could that be checked and made sure that club adhered to it.?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

With 22 clubs in total in the UK, and around 50 British riders of a 'top three division' level (some taking a break from the sport, some recently retired but may be tempted back?), would it possible for every club to put in say £5k and run a £110,000 prize fund British Championship? Using the sponsorship money already agreed for the season with their sponsors? 

Lots of qualifying meetings around the country. (One a week at each track). But advertising the "£110k Big Prize" in all their promotion of each individual event?

Paying out an average £600 a night per rider in the qualifying meetings, running a 12 man entry, and that's around £9k you would need to take to pay the riders and pay the VAT..

Would you get away with around 12k costs in total per night?

(Maybe rents could be renogotiated given stadium owners will have had zero income?)

If so 800 paying £15 would cover costs..

Riders would get to ride four or five times a week around the country (maybe more but five times would get the 'Mr Average' rider £3k a week),  and the sport could advertise a "Big Time" prize fund which may generate some added interest from others outside of the sport, or, more likely maybe, lapsed fans or non regulars...

If any 'top name' non British riders are available, maybe domiciled over here, and happy to race for the money, they could either be 'guested' in for the odd night as a wild card whose scores won't impact the overall competition. (Similar how other motor sports like BSB let a world level competitor compete in a National Championship on an ad hoc basis), or, if they can commit to the full competiton, take a place in the line up. (Plenty of UK based overseas riders have rode in, and won BSB Championships)..

Run the Final for £110k at the NSS with the top 16 riders from all the qualifiers..

Plenty of racing for British lads in particular,  plenty of money to be earned riding several nights a week, and a massive prize fund with which to increase the sports' standing and hopefully deliver a huge crowd (and media coverage), for the final...

Whatever Speedway we do get (if any) those who run it should spend this time thinking outside of the box and how best they can make a huge impact when 'normality' returns, as they will be fighting against other sports relaunching themselves too, and there will only be so much 'leisure money' available to be spent. .

Mike, 

I love reading your posts and respect your views very much.

To consider though that any but a handful of CL tracks would break even let alone make money for such an event would be more accurate an assessment.

I don't get the obsession with finals at the NSS either?..

I think a lot of promotors with a September start will be thinking 2 local derbies home and away to cut costs optimise crowds and make few quid for the long winter as season tickets and sponsorship next winter just not going to happen.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HGould said:

Mike, 

I love reading your posts and respect your views very much.

To consider though that any but a handful of CL tracks would break even let alone make money for such an event would be more accurate an assessment.

I don't get the obsession with finals at the NSS either?..

I think a lot of promotors with a September start will be thinking 2 local derbies home and away to cut costs optimise crowds and make few quid for the long winter as season tickets and sponsorship next winter just not going to happen.

I am sure your idea will be nearer the mark than mine HG..

I just think the sport has a truly once in a lifetime unique situation to reinvent itself, work together for the overall good and try something different..

Riders too would need to play ball and agree to ride here, there and everywhere over a few weeks..

I could just imagine what the promotion team down at the Isle of Wight would do if they had the likes of Messrs Cook, Nicholls, King and Harris riding there. It would be the talk of the island for years and would generate loads of publicity for the track...

And maybe Woffy could visit too as a wild card! It would be like a royal visit by the time Barry Bishop and the rest had finished with it!!.:D

For far too long promoters have looked insular, always delivering their own individual narrow agenda as a priority. A tiny agenda in the grand scheme of team sports given Speedway's small following from track to track..

This could be a chance to 'sell the sport' itself nationally and see where that takes them...

45000 plus go to Cardiff each year so there is still a very sizeable following out there if more of them can be persuaded to attend domestic speedway more regularly, so put an operating plan together which may attract them to do so..

As for the NSS?, for me it's simply the racing and the facilities it delivers..

And if you want to showcase a major final then it ticks two major boxes, with the third major box ticked being it's held very close to a major city centre that has excellent transport links and plenty of hotel rooms..

Not many other tracks can deliver all that I would say..

The basic product is no good and not attractive to the paying public in sufficient numbers. 
First thing to be done is fix the tracks, NSS apart.