British Speedway Forum
Theboss

British Speedway to be reborn?

2 minutes ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

I would say your figures are pretty skewed in favor of the answer you want from the question to be honest. 

Possibly.

But how much do you think it would cost to field a team of

Hampel

Kolodziej

Kurtz

Lidsey

Piotr Pawlicki

Sayfutdinov

Smektala

Just now, ch958 said:

whats the difference between gp riders and good league riders? 1, 2 or 3 seconds. Who notices?

Loads and loads and loads of people, the notion the difference is 1, 2 or 3 seconds is beyond mental. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

But how much do you think it would cost to field a team of

I wouldn't even begin to know, nor it is particularly relevant as there is a slight readjustment here of you turning a horse into a giraffe on your own volition. 

Just now, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

I wouldn't even begin to know, nor it is particularly relevant as there is a slight readjustment here of you turning a horse into a giraffe on your own volition. 

What do you mean?  You’re beginning to slip from debate to abuse.

I said “Polish type team” and I’ve used Lesznos as an example.

Just now, DC2 said:

What do you mean?  You’re beginning to slip from debate to abuse.

I said “Polish type team” and I’ve used Lesznos as an example.

Both things you mention are the exact evidence of "what I mean" none of which is even remotely close to "abuse" 

I fail to see where this notion of a £50 sport with teams built like those in the Polish league have come from, this seems to be your own thought process which you have imposed. 

Score yes, scoreboard - it is totally moot re retention of fans. 

It is about giving the sport more of a team sport atmosphere. It enhances the product.

Not everyone wants to fill in a programme or have to listen intently to announcements. I actually think it might give a casual attendee more of an impression that he has been to see a match between two teams rather than just people on bikes, making them more likely to get into what they are watching. The old "The

Why do you think they have the score displayed on screen on BT and Sky? It's so people know what is going on.

For me, a having a scoreboard in a sport with such complicated scoring is just common sense.

Both things you mention are the exact evidence of "what I mean" none of which is even remotely close to "abuse" 

I fail to see where this notion of a £50 sport with teams built like those in the Polish league have come from, this seems to be your own thought process which you have imposed. 

Not at all. It was a guess on my part.

If you think that team would be supported by a £30 admission fee say so and give an idea of how many fans would pay that and what the overheads would be.

Just now, Grachan said:

Not everyone wants to fill in a programme or have to listen intently to announcements.

Just as not everyone cares about a scoreboard.... it is a minority attraction. 

Just now, DC2 said:

Not at all. It was a guess on my part.

If you think that team would be supported by a £30 admission fee say so and give an idea of how many fans would pay that and what the overheads would be.

I don't know what you are talking about anymore sorry. 

Just as not everyone cares about a scoreboard.... it is a minority attraction. 

I don't want to bang on about the scoreboard thing, as I'll just be repeating myself, but I'll just say that, as you say, the scoreboard itself is not the attraction, it's the match score that is the attraction.

Speedway is not just about people riding motorbikes. Numbers and statistics are a big part of the appeal in many cases and, for me, they should do all they can to exploit this.

Too many people think it's just about blokes on bikes without brakes, but, to some, it is about more than that.

Just now, Grachan said:

I don't want to bang on about the scoreboard thing, as I'll just be repeating myself, but I'll just say that, as you say, the scoreboard itself is not the attraction, it's the match score that is the attraction.

Speedway is not just about people riding motorbikes. Numbers and statistics are a big part of the appeal in many cases and, for me, they should do all they can to exploit this.

Too many people think it's just about blokes on bikes without brakes, but, to some, it is about more than that.

Grand....

Didn’t you say we need to see the best riders?

Well, to pay for them you have to charge more or hope attendances treble or better.

So can you afford them on 800 crowds paying £50 each or on 2,000 crowds paying £30?

You definitely can’t afford them on 1500 crowds paying £17.

So I’m asking you where the balance lies between quality of rider and affordability?

Grand....

Looks like that's the end of that discussion then. :)