British Speedway Forum
Theboss

British Speedway to be reborn?

48 minutes ago, MattK said:

No one is saying to do nothing. However, I don't think tinkering with the league structure, race format or eligibility of riders will make one iotas difference to the number of paying customers thorough the turnstiles.

The answer in my mind is marketing. You can fluff up the product as much as you want, but if no one knows about it then you'll only ever be attracting a diminishing number of diehard fans.

I agree marketing is key however I think you have the wrong idea if I am suggesting we tinker with the sport. I am suggesting British Speedway will have NO OTHER OPTION but to completly REBUILD itself due to CV19. 

Surely you can see it will not be possible for the sport to operate as was planned? If so then what should the clubs do? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I agree marketing is key however I think you have the wrong idea if I am suggesting we tinker with the sport. I am suggesting British Speedway will have NO OTHER OPTION but to completly REBUILD itself due to CV19. 

Surely you can see it will not be possible for the sport to operate as was planned? If so then what should the clubs do? 

I agree that airlines will be disrupted for the rest of this year and maybe early next year. However,  I cannot see any scenario where the market for budget airlines doesn't get back to its original position in the medium term.

I would get Barry Bishop and Martin Widman in on the ground floor planning of any rethink of Speedway as the only promoters I have ever known get universal praise from the fans. The BSPA should be talking to them about how to deal with and attract new fans. In fact they should be listening and stop talking

Tell people how dangerous the sport is, unlike most 'extreme' sports you don't even need to exaggerate.

Take the opportunity to let young British MX and Trials riders of which there are thousands know that there could be a place for them in Speedway in the future. No asset system to work against them would be good. For a start I'd give any under 18 holding a motorcycle competition licence free admission and also give them pit tours, maybe have a different half a dozen of the over 16 each week working alongside the regular mechanics. You might pick up some apprentice rider/ mechanics that way.

It seems inevitable that the standard of rider will be a bit lower so have a few laps practice before a meeting so they start the races with a good setup. Also put on some junior riders before the meeting as well. This should get rid of those first few heats when the track is difficult to race hard on. Bring in vulture races for the reserve home berth as well.

Introduce rev limiters with a relatively low ceiling that would make expensive tuning an unnecessary waste of money, service intervals would be longer and parts life longer. I would like to see a minimum stroke introduced alongside that which would make engines more manageable for less skilled riders in difficult conditions. It should also make setting the bike up a little easier. It is really easy to police as well. A standard carb and clutch would also be easy to police and could save a good chunk of money.

While control engines might be a good idea in theory I doubt that promotions would be keen on the initial outlay and undoubtedly some would skimp on the upkeep as well.

Facilities don't need to be fancy but the food areas, bar and toilets need to be immaculately clean and kept that way, the new fans the sport needs won't put up with what the old timers do. If the facilities allow it have a noisy area for the younger adults where they can have loud music and a bit of a party.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattK said:

I agree that airlines will be disrupted for the rest of this year and maybe early next year. However,  I cannot see any scenario where the market for budget airlines doesn't get back to its original position in the medium term.

I disagree with that however no one can be sure. I guess it is my nature to prepare for the worst rather than hope for the best.

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I disagree with that however no one can be sure. I guess it is my nature to prepare for the worst rather than hope for the best.

In the short term I agree, but what makes you think that in the medium to long term the demand for short haul foreign travel will diminish compared to where it was last year? 

4 minutes ago, MattK said:

In the short term I agree, but what makes you think that in the medium to long term the demand for short haul foreign travel will diminish compared to where it was last year? 

Yes, you will be right if we find a vaccine.

1 hour ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

And you’ve joined me down here in the gutter, didn’t take long for the sh it to stick did it, you cheeky wee idiot.

I really don't get you - you make some good points, clearly you know and love the game, you have your own ideas which is fine, and then this. I literally don't get what happens to you to make you react like you do. 

7 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I really don't get you - you make some good points, clearly you know and love the game, you have your own ideas which is fine, and then this. I literally don't get what happens to you to make you react like you do. 

So don't waste your time thinking about such a redundant thing then, no one asked or needs you to "get" me. 

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

8 minutes ago, ch958 said:

Agreed. Do people think they’ve won an argument because they’ve reached the height of abuse?

It’s as if calling someone an idiot means that you’ve instantly proven you’re right.

9 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Agreed. Do people think they’ve won an argument because they’ve reached the height of abuse?

It’s as if calling someone an idiot means that you’ve instantly proven you’re right.

In some instances (Sindey) it is all that is needed, idiot that's all, no point wasting peoples time with much more than that 

In some instance (your daft comment about the Swindon teams) simply calling it for what it is, bullshi t, is suffice, the notion it needs more than that is laughable nonsense especially re your point, I mean really what the fu ck are you talking about....you stupid idiot :rofl:

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

7 minutes ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

In some instances (Sindey) it is all that is needed, idiot that's all no point wasting peoples time with much more than that 

In some instance (your daft comment about the Swindon teams) simply calling it for what it is, bullshi t, is suffice, the notion it needs more than that is laughable nonsense especially re your point about I mean the two Swindon team, I mean really what the fu ck are you talking about....you stupid idiot :rofl:

Highly intelligent and eloquent made points there Jim...you certainly can spot an idiot.:blink:

2 hours ago, MattK said:

No one is saying to do nothing. However, I don't think tinkering with the league structure, race format or eligibility of riders will make one iotas difference to the number of paying customers thorough the turnstiles.

The answer in my mind is marketing. You can fluff up the product as much as you want, but if no one knows about it then you'll only ever be attracting a diminishing number of diehard fans.

As you allude, the biggest problem British speedway faces is that hardly anybody knows what (or where) it is.

OK

Swindon 2007 v Swindon 2019

looks like a win for the '07 squad to me.

Looking at world rankings (caveat - all world ranking sources have their limitations, and involve some element of judgement, and my sources have changed over time too) we get:

Leigh Adams (2)

Lee Richardson (22)

Seb Ulamek (35)

Charlie Gjedde (36)

Tomasz Chrazanowski (38)

Mads Korneliusen (97)

Andrew Moore (158)

..............................................................average position: 58

Jason Doyle (9)

Troy Batchelor (28)

Tobias Musialak (47)

Rasmus Jensen (56)

Adam Ellis (97)

Claus Vissing (142)

Ellis Perks (210)

..............................................................average position: 84

Replace Perks with (say) Kenny Bjerre and the two teams come out equal. I'd also suggest that Chrazanowski never really produced his international form in the UK so that also narrows the gap.