British Speedway Forum
Theboss

British Speedway to be reborn?

8 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

What does the FIM bring to British Speedway other than International events, and would it be possible to remain members of the ACU whilst not being FIM members ?. Would the FIM even allow its riders to participate in none FIM events ?, I agree going it alone would be an interesting choice because it would help us to bring equipment costs down, upright 2/4 valves would i suspect give the rider more control over the Bike, suit more of our Tracks, and maybe give more overtaking though this is debatable. We would lose the staging of International events, and probably most of the International riders though this would be through their choice, but they would be most of the higher standard of riders who have GP aspirations, or riders that can earn more money in europe than in the UK.

Personally i think it would be worthwhile the BSPA considering it if its possible, however in my opinion they wont even think about it, but is a good debating point whilst their is no speedway..

I think this is pobably the best and only time it will be considered by those who should be looking after the future of the sport ,not just s/way but IMO in everyday life things will never be quite the same again

10 hours ago, FAST GATER said:

IMO  Britian could  go on it's own with regard to machinery ,it is one of the main elements that could be changed and would have a great  effect on costs within the sport.We have to accept that for the short term the sport will to all intents and purpose be semi pro  to survive ,a half decent rider should be able to adapt to riding diffent engines( at grasstracks rider have 250/350/and 500 cc bikes) in the case of say Polish riders wishing to race in this country .Just like the smaller tracks we have here  they may just see it as expanding they experience and ability to make them better riders . 

I've said before on here..

British Superbikes dont try and compete with their larger 'cousin' World Superbikes..

They do share many technical characteristics and sometimes share competitors, (but ensure they dont fixture clash!), but it's a completely separate Competition..

They seem to do 'ok' with a mainly domestic and antipodean rider base, with the odd European or Asian rider who usually will be domiciled in the UK..

Some riders will be returning from bigger Championships at the latter end of the careers, (which can boost fan numbers when a 'legend' returns), some will stay at that level, and some will aspire to move on and use the BSB as a 'stepping stone' to improve themselves to move on to bigger things..

A situation they accept and plan for by running several support classes to ensure talent comes through to replace those who move on.

A clear joined up strategy from novice to top level rider, with clear demarcation of what level each rider is at so the racing will reflect the closeness of rider capability.. 

No reason, for me, why British Speedway couldn't use this as a blueprint to devise their own strategy.. 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

I've said before on here..

British Superbikes dont try and compete with their larger 'cousin' World Superbikes..

They do share many technical characteristics and sometimes share competitors, (but ensure they dont fixture clash!), but it's a completely separate Competition..

They seem to do 'ok' with a mainly domestic and antipodean rider base, with the odd European or Asian rider who usually will be domiciled in the UK..

Some riders will be returning from bigger Championships at the latter end of the careers, (which can boost fan numbers when a 'legend' returns), some will stay at that level, and some will aspire to move on and use the BSB as a 'stepping stone' to improve themselves to move on to bigger things..

A situation they accept and plan for by running several support classes to ensure talent comes through to replace those who move on.

A clear joined up strategy from novice to top level rider, with clear demarcation of what level each rider is at so the racing will reflect the closeness of rider capability.. 

No reason British Speedway couldn't use this blueprint for me to devise their own strategy.. 

I have never  been able to get my head round the fact that a complete novice at s/way can have exactly the same machinery as the world champ, pockets allowing of course .

British Touring Cars was dead in the water  it stood back thought about it and implemented changes that have brought the sport alive again ,lesson to learn for s/way IMO.

• Like 1

British speedway used to lead the world and my personal thoughts are that a revert back to two valve uprights is a must to save this sport in this country. True top riders might stay away to start with but on the flip side of the coin as someone said above most top riders have equipment in each country they ride in so what's to stop them having a upright setup here? Plus it will sort out the men from the boys a big part of uprights was throttle control something many modern riders would have to learn again. 

The other thing of course is that maybe other countries after a couple of seasons will see the cheaper running costs and think seriously about their long term future as well.  

With a revert back to uprights maybe its also time to bring back the track spare. Remember that tatty looking machine that was warmed up and parked at the back of the pits at each meeting and then ….. bike problems and the spare was rushed out for the home rider to jump onto, not his own machine or set up but every home rider could nearly always  get it round the track into the points.  :D

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tonyd said:

British speedway used to lead the world and my personal thoughts are that a revert back to two valve uprights is a must to save this sport in this country. True top riders might stay away to start with but on the flip side of the coin as someone said above most top riders have equipment in each country they ride in so what's to stop them having a upright setup here? Plus it will sort out the men from the boys a big part of uprights was throttle control something many modern riders would have to learn again.   :D

Who is going to develop and build these engines for a single domestic market?

16 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

There are probably hundreds holding workshop doors open I think more  original 2 valve Jawa were produced than any other  s/way engine ,knowing the eastern block they probably still have all the tooling etc .

1 hour ago, FAST GATER said:

There are probably hundreds holding workshop doors open I think more  original 2 valve Jawa were produced than any other  s/way engine ,knowing the eastern block they probably still have all the tooling etc .

Jawa produced a batch of 2 valve lawdowns a couple of years ago for the nice series. I would have thought that they would be up for it. 

4 hours ago, Sotonian said:

The geniuses at the BSPA...;) they know what’s what about engines!

• Haha 1

Anyone who thinks what was working 30 - 40 years ago is the way forward is deluded. However, the way things are now is definitely not working. The answer? No idea. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

The geniuses at the BSPA...;) they know what’s what about engines!

Still missing are they?? :o

• Haha 1

I fully believe that in order to save British speedway something radical has to be done and starting with standard engines is what I would do and yes they would be uprights.

Having watched racing from the 80s and 90s on you tube recently it's clear that the current bikes do not work on UK tracks.  With the uprights riders Were riding the inside middle and outside of the tracks. The same tracks these days with the current equipment and the line is mid track to the outside so inside half the the track sees very little traffic. That can't be good. 

Seeing the reports this morning that the Poles are asking riders to take a 50% paycut so they can operate behind closed doors maybe it's time to reduce costs across the board for the greater good. 

• Like 3

On 4/20/2020 at 5:12 PM, E I Addio said:

They had some racing at Lakeside It was speedway bikes racing, like unbelievably boring.

Yep

3 hours ago, HGould said:

Still missing are they?? :o

No they are all in No1 genius Chapman’s lock up! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1