British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Has the weather ever been better

6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Other than 'that summer' in 1976, which will be spoken about as almost a fable by elders to disbelieving young children seated in circle in front of the fireside for many years.  It was the year it didn't rain for few days (or weeks or months) and even the temperature stayed more than 10 degrees above freezing for while, I seem to recall 1995 was pretty good weather-wise....

Aprils pretty much alternate between too many showers and a decent sunny spell. This one has been one of the best but there have been several over the last twenty years.

7 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Aprils pretty much alternate between too many showers and a decent sunny spell. This one has been one of the best but there have been several over the last twenty years.

Climate change, dear boy, climate change!:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Other than 'that summer' in 1976, which will be spoken about as almost a fable by elders to disbelieving young children seated in circle in front of the fireside for many years.  It was the year it didn't rain for few days (or weeks or months) and even the temperature stayed more than 10 degrees above freezing for while, I seem to recall 1995 was pretty good weather-wise....

To be fair it was rather good - I know because it was the year I started work and the weather improved (dramatically) as soon as I was appointed so I couldn't enjoy it (!)

The following year wasn't too shabby as well.

Insert other media.url

Edited by Garry1603

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Climate change, dear boy, climate change!:)

Doesn't exist according to Mr Trump!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

Doesn't exist according to Mr Trump!

...the same Trump who was reported this morning as suggesting that "research into  whether coronavirus might be treated injecting disinfectant into the body" which has been lambasted by the medical profession.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

...the same Trump who was reported this morning as suggesting that "research into  whether coronavirus might be treated injecting disinfectant into the body" which has been lambasted by the medical profession.

Does he own Domestos as well? 

Maybe he'll move onto Dyno Rod next!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sarcasm aside I recall way back in '1976 - the year of summer', there were turnpikes in the streets and and on the news they would show water levels in resevoirs were down "and for the first time in many years ruins from the lost village of whatever can be seen from when the valley was flooded to create the resevoir".  We've had (relatively) decentish warm summers since '76, no turnpikes I'm aware of but still news reports still sometimes say  "ruins of the lost village of whatever can be seen from when the valley was flooded to create the resevoir".  Global warming ?...

Edited by martinmauger
spelling
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Sarcasm aside I recall way back in '1976 - the year of summer', there were turnpikes in the streets and and on the news they would show water levels in resevoirs were down "and for the first time in many years ruins from the lost village of whatever can be seen from when the valley was flooded to create the resevoir".  We've had (relatively) decentish warm summers since '76, no turnpikes I'm aware of but still news reports still sometimes say  "ruins of the lost village of whatever can be seen from when the valley was flooded to create the resevoir".  Global warming ?...

Um, turnpikes ARE streets, albeit originally with tolls!

Edited by Sotonian

55 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Um, turnpikes ARE streets, albeit originally with tolls!

Weren't they called standpipes ? Memories of '76 and the aftermath of the '87 hurricane.

I saw one last week when the water authority were testing water quality outside my place, and they used a temporary standpipe and left it gushing with water for 30 minutes.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mimmo said:

My wife is suffering this badly, because as she has double lung cancer and is currently on a 21-week course of chemo, she's not even allowed to leave the house for a 10-minute stroll.
Now with the government saying that social distancing will have to remain in place for the rest of the year, we've been told that must remain within the confines of our own home for that length of time.  I won't go out and leave her on her own, so we're both prisoners for the rest of 2020, and I'll find that mentally difficult, there's no two ways about that.    

All the best Mimmo..

I am at the other end of the spectrum and only just getting days off again after a month or so, due to the tens of thousands of customers who have wanted serving..

Therefore I cannot begin to understand what such isolation must mean..

Hope you can stay strong for yourself and your good lady...

Best wishes. .

• Like 2

22 hours ago, martinmauger said:

iSarcasm aside I recall way back in '1976 - the year of summer', there were turnpikes in the streets and and on the news they would show water levels in resevoirs were down "and for the first time in many years ruins from the lost village of whatever can be seen from when the valley was flooded to create the resevoir".  We've had (relatively) decentish warm summers since '76, no turnpikes I'm aware of but still news reports still sometimes say  "ruins of the lost village of whatever can be seen from when the valley was flooded to create the resevoir".  Global warming ?...

Keeping the non-speedway theme running, ;)  but being from the area, before making my millions elsewhere,  I was totally freaked out, as a child, to see photos of Ashopton viaduct being constructed in the Derwent Valley of Derbyshire, where both Ladybower of Dambusters' fame and Derwent reservoirs service Sheffield's many breweries now. It was 100s of feet above the village of the same name and which, along with Derwent, was submerged once the dam walls had also been constructed. and the waters blocked by them.  Now when you go across this viaduct the water is almost to the top of the arches.  As I said as a child knowing how high above what is now the base of the reservoir, so how deep the water was/is really gave me nightmares.

Guess how happy I was needing to get from Lancashire (wash my mouth out) to God's own for a family bun fight on the day of the first gale this year (now forgotten owing to the pandemic)  to find that Woodhead Pass was closed owing to the winds and floods, so I had to use the Snake, which crosses this viaduct?  Even now, as a strapping 30 something,  this childhood memory of knowing how much water is underneath as I traversed the viaduct, put me in panic mode, and I was visibly shaking. The only consolation is that there wasn't a clown to greet me at the other end. :unsure: .  I find that no longer living in my birth area I bond much more with it and have dozens of books  about how it was before there was any speedway. Some great ones of these flooded villages. Again, school legend had it that during one warm spell Derwent Village surfaced but, as so  many people were going into the church, it had to be demolished as it could literally have collapsed around them. 

Edited by Mr Ore
spelling/grammar
  • Like 1

Fasinating stuff, Mr Ore.  Oops, turnpikes, standpipes, any kind of pipe really :rofl:.  Point taken, my bad, '76 was a long time ago :o.  There has been the odd water leak in Hull with water gushing powerfully into the air, like you see in American movies with kids playing in it til the Fire Dept turn the water off, often gushing many gallons for a full day creating a stream flowing along the road....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling x2, added cynicism
  • Like 2

One of my abiding memories of the summer of 76 was the great ladybird invasion. We had a caravan down on the Essex coast and when we arrived we thought that somebody had painted the sea-wall red..but we didn't let it bug us!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terry said:

One of my abiding memories of the summer of 76 was the great ladybird invasion. We had a caravan down on the Essex coast and when we arrived we thought that somebody had painted the sea-wall red..but we didn't let it bug us!

Awful joke but brought a smile to my face!

• Thanks 1

My abiding memory of 1976 was me and my dad laying a patio in the back garden and having to place wet sacking on the cement to stop it from going off too quickly.

• Like 1