Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

The White Ghost.

How good was Ken Le Breton ?? just been doing some memorabilia on him this week and by all accounts he was a special rider.Always found it amazing that Ken along with Dicky Case does not get mentioned alot.His White leathers were unique and by all accounts he was a classy rider the Sydney showgrounds has been brutal over the years claiming Ray Duggan/ Norman Clay's lives in 1950. And in 1951 Le Breton and Eddie Rigg were involved in a crash claiming Le  Breton life a  real tragedy.Another  tragedy was Geoff Curtis losing his life there in 1973 a scary racetrack probably the fastest in the world where Jim Airey was the master.

Edited by Sidney the robin

An iconic name from the past Ken Le Breton. I believe that Ashfield soon closed after "The White Ghost's" sad death?

• Like 1

Dicky Case

Memorable for me for two things

First his failed attempt with Max Grosskreutz to promote speedway in Hamburg

And secondly for his part in the Harringay riot when he was part of the Hackney team that beat their local rivals and both himself and his wife were attacked by local fans 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Dicky Case

Memorable for me for two things

First his failed attempt with Max Grosskreutz to promote speedway in Hamburg

And secondly for his part in the Harringay riot when he was part of the Hackney team that beat their local rivals and both himself and his wife were attacked by local fans 

Where would you put Grosskreutz Iris?  would you put him alongside,  Duggan, Huxley,Wilkinson, Young,Lawson, Crump,.Does he deserve to be mentioned in the same breath ? Duggan for me was a superstar who was so unlucky not to be World Champion.

Difficult one Sid. I do think for a couple of years he was arguably the best rider in the world. He was neck and neck with Farndon in their match races

Hi folks, does anyone have background on the Le Breton-Rigg fatal crash. Weren't there some whispers going around that Rigg wanted to teach Ken Le Breton a lesson after some earlier conflicts between the two-have you found anything on that in your research Sid??

18 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Hi folks, does anyone have background on the Le Breton-Rigg fatal crash. Weren't there some whispers going around that Rigg wanted to teach Ken Le Breton a lesson after some earlier conflicts between the two-have you found anything on that in your research Sid??

I don’t suppose you will get a much on that. Nobody is going to admit anything even if the rumours are true ( and we all know about the rumour mill in speedway)
However the version I have read claims that levBreton caught Riggs back wheel which I suppose could have been contrived but a number of riders have been killed or injured clipping  another riders back wheel , eg. Lee Richardson and Darcy Ward. Very difficult when one considers the media were generally less inclined to give all the details in those times.I suppose it could have been intentional but very unlikely. It is , though, the sort of crash that could start the rumour mill gossiping..

Edited by E I Addio

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

An article appeared in the "Vintage Speedway Magazine" stating that..."a myth grew up around the incident in that England's Eddie Rigg 'deliberately' rode Le Breton high on the final bend forcing him to crash. The myth had its beginnings linked to an accident involving Rigg and Le Breton in the First Test at Sydney on December 16 1950. In heat three of that match, Le Breton tried hard to force an inside pass on Rigg and the Englishman twice had his leg briefly caught in Ken's machine. After the race Le Breton was cautioned by the steward for 'over aggressive' riding."

The full account is featured in Volume 9 Number 3 (Autumn 2001). Author of the article was Jim Shepherd - Australian journalist. Not sure if it's still available however?

Edited by steve roberts

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

What I can say is that Le Breton was heckled by home fans after twice 'cutting in' on Rigg in I think the previous test. He was also cautioned by the ACU stewards for dangerous riding. Rigg's foot was caught in Le Bretons wheel during one incident and he needed medical attention. Ken also ran onto the back wheel of team mate Lionel van Praag......

One name that sticks out from the fatal meeting for me is Derrick Tailby !!

Must admit to never having heard of him before. He was also injured in the meeting in his first and only ride and subsequently left Australia and went back to England. See he rode for Coventry for a few years and wasn't even one of their best riders and they were Div 2. As far as I can see he rode for a few seasons then broke his wrist in 1954 ice skating of all things, and was that the end of his career ? . After quite a strong team sent to Australia in the previous year or so, this team seems quite a weak England touring team and indeed the next couple of years were the same until the tours seemed to stop for a few years.

I also see there was problems in the Australian team in that Arthur Payne accused to test selectors of victimising him, by not picking him. Then he did get in the team and didn't do too well and never got another chance that series !!

Edited by iris123

On 4/25/2020 at 8:41 AM, Sidney the robin said:

How good was Ken Le Breton ?? just been doing some memorabilia on him this week and by all accounts he was a special rider.Always found it amazing that Ken along with Dicky Case does not get mentioned alot.His White leathers were unique and by all accounts he was a classy rider the Sydney showgrounds has been brutal over the years claiming Ray Duggan/ Norman Clay's lives in 1950. And in 1951 Le Breton and Eddie Rigg were involved in a crash claiming Le  Breton life a  real tragedy.Another  tragedy was Geoff Curtis losing his life there in 1973 a scary racetrack probably the fastest in the world where Jim Airey was the master.

I thought it was the Sydney Sports Ground where he was killed, not the Showground.