British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moomin man 76

Homburg (Saar) Speedway 1957-58 and 1960

I think I can help you with some informations about the longtrack/speedway in Homburg. They are taken from a club chronicle published in 1993.

The longtrack was opened on May 25th 1952 and had a track length of 750 meters. A crowd of 20.000 people had been there for the first races.

The 9th longtrack meeting (on August 15th 1957) was staged as a speedway event with a 4 Team Tournament. The riders did represent winner Germany (40 points), Austria (28), Finnland (28) and Sweden (21).
The next meeting (on May 1st 1958) was also run as a speedway meeting. Germany (34) was the winner again with Austria (32), Netherlands (31) and England (17) following. The last ever longtrack meeting at this track (in Homburg district named Erbach) was on May 14th 1961. The track was then declared as a building site. The club later did stage grasstrack meetings from 1962 until 1965.

If someone is interested I can send you copies of the 5 pages from the chronicle (in german) which tell about the longtrack/speedway/grasstrack history of the Homburg club.

• Like 1

Good stuff. Heard nothing so far, but looks fairly certain all meetings even the ‘speedway’ went ahead at the same track