British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Who are the future stars of British Speedway?

Taking Robert Lambert as already a 'star' given he has been in the GP's, rode Polish top division, and held his own at SON level, (but still has much potential), my picks would be Dan Bewley, Jordan Palin and Leon Flint...

To reach the higher echelons of say top 25 in the world, the glide path for UK riders seems to be that usually within four or five years of starting, they are riding (comfortably) at heat leader level in the top league in the UK..

Bewley is already there at that heat leader level and now needs to make an impact overseas, and I think Palin and Flint show the potential to go a long way in the sport..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Taking Robert Lambert as already a 'star' given he has been in the GP's, rode Polish top division, and held his own at SON level, (but still has much potential), my picks would be Dan Bewley, Jordan Palin and Leon Flint...

To reach the higher echelons of say top 25 in the world, the glide path for UK riders seems to be that usually within four or five years of starting, they are riding (comfortably) at heat leader level in the top league in the UK..

Bewley is already there at that heat leader level and now needs to make an impact overseas, and I think Palin and Flint show the potential to go a long way in the sport..

I would definitely agree about Leon Flint. (Bewley is a given too) has not stopped improving since debut season with Brummies in 2018.

Palin I think needs to prove his prowess over a full CL season whenever that may be.

I think a few may have plateaued out a bit (Bickley / Kemp ) but Anders Rowe came on a lot last season and has got a PL berth which will help him in longer term.

Of the rest, on and off the Track Jason Edwards seems to be a cut above the others and saw him at Redcar in U19 Final where he was very impressive.

38 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Drew Kemp?

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

I think Palin and Flint show the potential to go a long way in the sport..

Australia in their 2020-21 season?

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Pretty much what I conclude to. The key test is how are they doing compared with their peers, and I discuss this here:

http://speedwayplus.com/

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Pretty much what I conclude to. The key test is how are they doing compared with their peers, and I discuss this here:

http://speedwayplus.com/

Interesting info Arnie..

For me, the UK does miss a huge trick by not ring fencing U21's at Championship level. 

Each 2nd tier team should have been made to have two U21 reserves for the past two decades..

Similar to Poland and their ring fencing of their riders..

If they had done I am sure there would be many more UK riders taking slots in the two top leagues, and less DU'ing and Guests needed..

The natural progression then would be the top tier team to have at least three British riders per team as the U21 riders developed.. 

Nothing delivers media coverage like a successful national team, especially in such a small sport in the UK as Speedway, where, without being disrespectful, some clubs are unknown even in their own towns and cities..

Winning the SON regularly would raise the profile of the sport in the UK massively, meaning the clubs could feed off the back of it...

Similar to the way Cricket, and Rugby Union, domestically have grown through National success on the World stage, and Cycling became a 'boom sport' through the likes of Boardman, Wiggins, Hoy etc...

I think the number of replies just about sums up the dearth of talent coming through.

7 hours ago, DC2 said:

Drew Kemp?

Not seen enough of him to be honest. However, he does run an 8 point plus average so must be 'up there' with the better teenagers.. 

Anders Rowe appears to be another who could move on to bigger things..

It does appear that some real focus is being given to these lads with organised track days, advice on diet, mental health support, and the opportunity to listen to and learn from experienced top line performers, so let's see if it pays off for the sport..

No point doing it though if places are then filled by riders from overseas, rather than creating a framework for the lads to develop, and sticking with them as they progress...

• Like 1

‘’for me, the UK does miss a huge trick by not ring fencing U21's at Championship level. Each 2nd tier team should have been made to have two U21 reserves for the past two decades...’’

This doesn’t mean you will produce stars just maybe league standard riders, which would still be a requirement.

The old saying stars are born is I’m afraid true Woffenden Ward Lambert Bewley are examples of this. As were Collins and Lee.

Mauger is the obvious standout exception who got where he did through total dedication which is pretty rare in speedway.

Today I can think of Madsen and Doyle.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GWC said:

‘’for me, the UK does miss a huge trick by not ring fencing U21's at Championship level. Each 2nd tier team should have been made to have two U21 reserves for the past two decades...’’

This doesn’t mean you will produce stars just maybe league standard riders, which would still be a requirement.

The old saying stars are born is I’m afraid true Woffenden Ward Lambert Bewley are examples of this. As were Collins and Lee.

Mauger is the obvious standout exception who got where he did through total dedication which is pretty rare in speedway.

Today I can think of Madsen and Doyle.

It's more the opportunities to ride that I think lets the lads development down..

There will always be the naturally gifted, and their talent will move them through the levels, but it's the next level of riders that need more track time and more assessing themselves against better riders to make gradual, incremental progression..

And that opportunity can only be improved by giving them ring fenced places to take away the intense pressure of losing their team place due to a few poor meetings..

Also the domestic leagues are desperate for more 'average' British riders to take places that currently get taken up by 'average' foreign riders, whose non availability due to home country requirements can often mean a disjointed fixture list..

The more British riders in the leagues the better the sport will be as supply will eventually overtake demand, something which currently helps dismantle the sports credibility when it comes to guests in particular and the use of DU when fixtures clash, not to mention the natural premium on cost of demand exceeding supply..

ie. When your the only real option for a certain team place I am sure you can ask for more than the position would ordinarily warrant....

Let's hope the focused development these lads seem to be now getting will be supplemented by several team places guaranteed for them..

3 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

I think the number of replies just about sums up the dearth of talent coming through.

With the plethora of talent emerging through The British Youth System, it appears you must not follow it.

With all due respect to so many emerging riders, they do not require any burden imposed upon them by naming them.

The press are always there to build up budding stars and then demolish and demoralise them.

Just look on this forum how easily riders, promoters, authorities, etc are criticised and demoralised by spurious comments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, secsy1 said:

With the plethora of talent emerging through The British Youth System, it appears you must not follow it.

With all due respect to so many emerging riders, they do not require any burden imposed upon them by naming them.

The press are always there to build up budding stars and then demolish and demoralise them.

Just look on this forum how easily riders, promoters, authorities, etc are criticised and demoralised by spurious comments.

Well lets come back and revisit this in a season or two, the topic title is future stars of British Speedway, Iv seen Bewley, Flint, Kemp, Brennan. Im aware of the Thompson twins, McGurk, I have also seen almost every Under 15 champion since Josh Auty, how many went on to become Stars ?. So seeing as you aimed your comments at me, then i must return the compliment and say how many "Stars" have we  produced since i saw the Under 15 final the year Auty won it ? answers on a post card please or may i suggest on a stamp.. ;)

1 hour ago, greyhoundp said:

Well lets come back and revisit this in a season or two, the topic title is future stars of British Speedway, Iv seen Bewley, Flint, Kemp, Brennan. Im aware of the Thompson twins, McGurk, I have also seen almost every Under 15 champion since Josh Auty, how many went on to become Stars ?. So seeing as you aimed your comments at me, then i must return the compliment and say how many "Stars" have we  produced since i saw the Under 15 final the year Auty won it ? answers on a post card please or may i suggest on a stamp.. ;)

The stars we have produced has been minimal possibly to two reasons

1. The opportunity to progress through the British league structure, either being promoted too early and losing confidence and interest in the sport or not being given enough opportunities 

2. The lack of professional help off track, not enough career guidance in terms of sponsorship or even rider application, resulting in become an also-ran 

Who was that young lad to come through the national league with something like a 10 or 11 point average then stepped up to the now championship and struggled... my head is telling me Sheffield... not sure if he is now lost to the sport?

3 hours ago, secsy1 said:

2 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

I am pleased you have been following the British Junior System which is improving and evolving year by year.

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

The stars we have produced has been minimal possibly to two reasons

1. The opportunity to progress through the British league structure, either being promoted too early and losing confidence and interest in the sport or not being given enough opportunities 

2. The lack of professional help off track, not enough career guidance in terms of sponsorship or even rider application, resulting in become an also-ran 

Who was that young lad to come through the national league with something like a 10 or 11 point average then stepped up to the now championship and struggled... my head is telling me Sheffield... not sure if he is now lost to the sport?

I agree 100% with your reasons and hopefully this is being addressed to ensure the next generation are guided, protected and educated professionally.

I reiterate the (Bold) words in my original post, which will happen again and again and again

• Like 2