British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Who are the future stars of British Speedway?

13 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

The stars we have produced has been minimal possibly to two reasons

1. The opportunity to progress through the British league structure, either being promoted too early and losing confidence and interest in the sport or not being given enough opportunities 

2. The lack of professional help off track, not enough career guidance in terms of sponsorship or even rider application, resulting in become an also-ran 

Who was that young lad to come through the national league with something like a 10 or 11 point average then stepped up to the now championship and struggled... my head is telling me Sheffield... not sure if he is now lost to the sport?

As the parent of a junior I personally think the youth system is brilliant only thing I think it lets itself down on is the part highlighted.

it would be enhanced if there were elite sessions for the boys and girls on the smaller capacity bikes.Think the kids and parents could be helped along the way as most are self taught picking up bad habits along the way (my lad included). The ATPI academy is a brilliant idea but feel the top lads and lasses need more guidance at before they get there. 
also using the word elite it has to be the best riders on merit and not a numbers  game those not invited have to strive to achieve The level

On 4/29/2020 at 6:49 AM, HGould said:

I would definitely agree about Leon Flint. (Bewley is a given too) has not stopped improving since debut season with Brummies in 2018.

Palin I think needs to prove his prowess over a full CL season whenever that may be.

I think a few may have plateaued out a bit (Bickley / Kemp ) but Anders Rowe came on a lot last season and has got a PL berth which will help him in longer term.

Of the rest, on and off the Track Jason Edwards seems to be a cut above the others and saw him at Redcar in U19 Final where he was very impressive.

I hope you are wrong regarding Drew Kemp, poured thousands & thousands in to him this year :unsure: 

21 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

The stars we have produced has been minimal possibly to two reasons

1. The opportunity to progress through the British league structure, either being promoted too early and losing confidence and interest in the sport or not being given enough opportunities 

2. The lack of professional help off track, not enough career guidance in terms of sponsorship or even rider application, resulting in become an also-ran 

Who was that young lad to come through the national league with something like a 10 or 11 point average then stepped up to the now championship and struggled... my head is telling me Sheffield... not sure if he is now lost to the sport?

Jack Parkinson Blackburn is the guy your thinking of, but hey i know nothing.. ;) these are the kind of guys the Sport should be helping, something similar to whats in Poland Under 21,s protected, but instead we just make it harder for them to come through..

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

Jack Parkinson Blackburn is the guy your thinking of, but hey i know nothing.. ;) these are the kind of guys the Sport should be helping, something similar to whats in Poland Under 21,s protected, but instead we just make it harder for them to come through..

The difference with Poland protecting the under 21's is that they take an interest in the riders at a much earlier stage, offer them junior team places, sponsorship's, guidance etc the whole package to make them feel involved with the parent clubs. There is then a bond created and a two way respect generated. In the UK the instant smash hits are snapped up, thrown in at the deep and and thrown to the Wolves if it is too early for them. There is a whole lot more than talent required to make it as a speedway rider even to a decent level, determination and funding play a major factor and is where a lot of potential good riders fall by the wayside.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Nothing wrong with Kemp think he is in our Top 5 "young guns" well on my list he is anyway 

Wasn't picking on him but feel that 2020 or whenever is a big year for him at CL level as will start as reserve but will need to step up on last season if he's to keep up with likes of Flint.

22 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The difference with Poland protecting the under 21's is that they take an interest in the riders at a much earlier stage, offer them junior team places, sponsorship's, guidance etc the whole package to make them feel involved with the parent clubs. There is then a bond created and a two way respect generated. In the UK the instant smash hits are snapped up, thrown in at the deep and and thrown to the Wolves if it is too early for them. There is a whole lot more than talent required to make it as a speedway rider even to a decent level, determination and funding play a major factor and is where a lot of potential good riders fall by the wayside.

Hopefully that's clearly changing now with No Limits / Poultec becoming Team GB Young Rider Academy.

Very impressed with Speedway Star and other articles explaining the transition and plans.

The fact that it's not under the control of vested interests of BSPA any more but independent and progressive people like Rob Painter and Ian Sinderson with some impressive back up is a big plus for the future.

44 minutes ago, HGould said:

Hopefully that's clearly changing now with No Limits / Poultec becoming Team GB Young Rider Academy.

Very impressed with Speedway Star and other articles explaining the transition and plans.

The fact that it's not under the control of vested interests of BSPA any more but independent and progressive people like Rob Painter and Ian Sinderson with some impressive back up is a big plus for the future.

100%, however the BSPA need to guarantee spaces in teams for the lads as they develop..

No point in developing talent then leaving it to fend for itself in its formative stages and years.. 

There needs to be a clear development plan, with milestones in place for each individual..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

100%, however the BSPA need to guarantee spaces in teams for the lads as they develop..

No point in developing talent then leaving it to fend for itself in its formative stages and years.. 

There needs to be a clear development plan, with milestones in place for each individual..

Totally agree.

I agree with your idea of protected U21 reserves.

It is sad that in the Championship so many Clubs still prefer to bring in often unproven foreign riders sometimes on false averages they cannot attain rather than invest in British riders.

My Club seems sometimes to be obsessed with that.

The asset system though has a lot to answer for as some big Clubs sweep up riders and once on asset list do little to help them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HGould said:

Totally agree.

I agree with your idea of protected U21 reserves.

It is sad that in the Championship so many Clubs still prefer to bring in often unproven foreign riders sometimes on false averages they cannot attain rather than invest in British riders.

My Club seems sometimes to be obsessed with that.

The asset system though has a lot to answer for as some big Clubs sweep up riders and once on asset list do little to help them.

Actually, the present Brummies promotion is trying to help new riders, with some success. However, the previous Mole/Drury promotion didn't care and wouldn't do anything.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

That's why I'm so pleased with my club Eastbourne, Brennen and Edwards seem to be part of a long term plan and never seem to be put under undue pressure by the management or fan's, hopefully Drew Kemp will fall into that plan as well although not being a club asset may hamper us with him. Kemp and Edwards at reserve, happy days. Even if this season is a write off, imagine we'll be doing exactly the same next year. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

Actually, the present Brummies promotion is trying to help new riders, with some success. However, the previous Mole/Drury promotion didn't care and wouldn't do anything.

JJ they are more now but we did sign a couple of Danes last season when may be better options at the time available in the UK now snapped up elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *JJ said:

Its that old chestnut of clubs trying to win silverware above all else..

Which is laudable for me if that success brings untold fame and riches on a global scale..

However, winning any UK Speedway competition brings you none of this, so surely there has to be one day that will dawn when this realisation sets in, and several of them finally realise that they will get far more long term success if they invested in British young talent as a collective, nurtured it and developed it to the highest level...

Making this country the clear No1 Speedway nation for several years would have a far, far greater positive impact to the sport in terms of publicity and sponsorship value than ANY team winning a domestic trophy..

Just like it worked in the 'halcyon days' of the 70's when England (as it was then) filled back pages of newspapers and had TV companies wanting to show coverage at peak time Saturday afternoon of their victories at World level..

Does anyone really think that would have happened if the Danes for example had ruled the 70's?

Of course not..

21 hours ago, HGould said:

JJ they are more now but we did sign a couple of Danes last season when may be better options at the time available in the UK now snapped up elsewhere.

Probaly that was due to having joined the Championship at the last minute, resulting in the very weak team!

• Like 1

With the situation as it is at the moment  there a reason now to ensure riders like Kinsley, Hume, get places at Championship clubs.Also these riders should be guaranteed prolonged run's in a team not just replaced when the averages allow.Stoneman for me is a prime example a rider i like he is a racer popular with the fans yet if he averages well under three he could get replaced.Bickley at Worky could not buy a point yet they persevered with him and he has made unspectacular progress  ever since. Winning should be placed alongside  producing English riders now is a chance to stop mediocre foreign talent getting team spots will that ever happen probably not.For me out of all our young talent out there Brennan, Kemp, Palin are the ones that i think can push on.Young Kemp riding in the top five at Sheffield showed that he can mix it and with this investment in equipment could make real progress. 

• Like 1