British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

" Line of duty " TV

3 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Series one of True Detective was excellent 

Yep. Would rate it only behind The Wire.

I also enjoyed series 2&3, but they fell a long way short of the first series.

12 hours ago, DSC67 said:

I'd definitely recommend The Wire for anyone looking for a good box set . 

Favourite season? All excellent, but for me season 4 was the standout.

Season 4 was the school one wasn't it?

Was brilliant with the New Hamsterdam project. I actually thought the last season was the weakest with the whole serial killer thing that McNulty and Freamon set up. Last episode was great though, the way they tied everything up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Favourite season? All excellent, but for me season 4 was the standout.

I think season 4 was probably the saddest season of all , very under rated 

There an excellent book about The Wire  which accompanied the whole 5 seasons 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, salty said:

Season 4 was the school one wasn't it?

Was brilliant with the New Hamsterdam project. I actually thought the last season was the weakest with the whole serial killer thing that McNulty and Freamon set up. Last episode was great though, the way they tied everything up.

Yep it was, and agreed on all points.

The Wire was very good, and focusing on a different aspect of city life each series was a masterstroke. I actually didn't realise at the time that half the actors were British, but they were unknowns in an obscure cable TV production before it got wider attention some years later.  

I also liked the Bridge, which appealed to my geographical interests.

I see Van der Valk has also been re-made with some familiar haunts.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The Wire was very good, and focusing on a different aspect of city life each series was a masterstroke. I actually didn't realise at the time that half the actors were British, but they were unknowns in an obscure cable TV production before it got wider attention some years later.  

I also liked the Bridge, which appealed to my geographical interests.

I see Van der Valk has also been re-made with some familiar haunts.

Yes and I'm showing my age by saying that I remember the original series with Barry Foster and the iconic theme tune that made the charts at the time.

• Like 1

Luther was very good and I really enjoyed a series which many may have missed...Hinterland.

I enjoyed the Van der Valk remake, I would prefer two 1 hour episodes rather than a 2 hr one . Incidentally if they are ever looking to turn any more of the Harry Hole books into  films Mark Warren would  a be perfect  choice imho a far better one  than   Michael Fassbender was 

1 hour ago, DSC67 said:

I enjoyed the Van der Valk remake, I would prefer two 1 hour episodes rather than a 2 hr one . Incidentally if they are ever looking to turn any more of the Harry Hole books into  films Mark Warren would  a be perfect  choice imho a far better one  than   Michael Fassbender was 

I found the new VDV an OK new crime show that just happens to be set in Amsterdam, nothing more. It didn't make any attempt to remake or reboot VDV at all except retain it as the lead characters name. Pretty poor to just trade on the name.

Mark Warren COULD have made a decent fist of being a decent successor to Barry Foster if that has actually been written, but it wasnt.

I've liked MW in other roles but having had a Jo Nesbo reading fest these last few,weeks ... He is definitely not right for Harry Hole !

Fav tv detective series in no particular order:-

Colombo. 

Poirot.

Rockford Files.

Frost.

Morse.

Wallender.

Cracker.

Hawaii Five O.

Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett). 

Worst:  Bergerac, Midsomer Murders, Pie in the Sky

Edited by pugwash

1 hour ago, pugwash said:

Fav tv detective series in no particular order:-

Colombo. 

Poirot.

Rockford Files.

Frost.

Morse.

Wallender.

Cracker.

Hawaii Five O.

Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett). 

Worst:  Bergerac, Midsomer Murders, Pie in the Sky

Definately the best followed by Morse. I liked the original Midsomer Murders with the Politically Incorrect Sgt Troy!

• Like 1

I've been watching The Sweeney every night at 6-00 after a hard day in the (front room) office. 

Politically incorrect, sexist, racist and brilliant!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm sure that I've mentioned it before somewhere but does anyone remember "Holmes & Yoyo?" I think one of the characters was a robot? One of my favourites was Telly Savalas as "Kojak"...sweaty downtown New York showing the seedier life.

Edited by steve roberts