British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Could the season be extended.

If the present season does get going, could it be extended into November if needed. I know it's a rarity these days, but in the 1970's and 80's November meetings were quite common.

• Haha 1

I seem to remember that you had to get special dispensation to run meetings in November 

21 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

I seem to remember that you had to get special dispensation to run meetings in November 

I think it was to do with insurance.

I'm pretty sure I went to a meeting at Hackney on November 10th one year - and it was a challenge match. 

It was November 1st 1974, against Belle Vue - and it was a "Revenge Challemge". I still think a meeting was held as late as November 10th in the 70s, just maybe not at Waterden Road. 

all back in the days when riders weren't so keen to get out the country

• Like 1

Sheffield staged the 2nd leg of the Junior BL KO cup final between the Tiger Cubs and Kings Lynn on November 6th 1986.Two weeks earlier we'd had the end of season fireworks etc!

My understanding is that the insurance and ACU licenses have already been extended until 30th November this preparation for a later end to the season if required this is the same in other motorcycle sports too.

Speedway in November?

Freeze to death and/or catch your death of cold....no thank you

No matter what horrendous problems this virus and lockdown has caused for Sport ... 

One thing is for certain ... None will be answered by planning for UK Speedway in November.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Once the hour changes at the end of October it makes it more likely the travelling to the Speedway is in darkness and certainly colder. Not the best recipe for getting a crowd in.

So no appetite for a Winter Speedway league then??

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So no appetite for a Winter Speedway league then??

There's little enough for it during the normal season so no chance of them wanting to attend in November!