British Speedway Forum
tonyd

After this Lockdown and beyond

The longer this lockdown goes on will it create even further long term problems for our sport?

We all know that no one goes into speedway promotion these days to make there fortune and the longer this lockdown goes on the possibility the shorter the season (or any season) we will see and the bigger losses they could entail. I would have thought promotions have already spent many pounds in readiness for this season which is now on hold. The problem is when the lockdown is over it will not mean crowds will be allowed to gather together again at sporting or any other such events straight away, the crowd ban could go on for a while yet after the lockdown is over.

Could the unthinkable happen and with the longer this goes on some promotions / teams decide to cut there losses and not operate this year, giving it a miss and coming back to the tapes next year?

Could some stadiums / track owners with no income coming in (and the longer this goes on) be thinking about cutting there losses and possibly selling up?

Could some riders think that a shorter season is not worth coming back for this year and sit it out saving there equipment for next year?

If and when the season starts will the riders at home around the world be able or be allowed to travel back to this (or any other country) to continue there riding here?. Come to that will some riders be allowed to hop around Europe to several counties each week? 

Could some teams find themselves short of riders if / when the season starts?

Could when all this is over and normality resumes some people not want to stand around mixing in crowds again, this corona virus is not going to totally disappear overnight.

This I know is not a happy read BUT it is just some of the thoughts I have had about the possibility's this virus could cause to our sport. There are probably hundreds more problems to add to the above as well. 

Anyone else got any thoughts or am I just talking rubbish? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tonyd said:

The longer this lockdown goes on will it create even further long term problems for our sport?

We all know that no one goes into speedway promotion these days to make there fortune and the longer this lockdown goes on the possibility the shorter the season (or any season) we will see and the bigger losses they could entail. I would have thought promotions have already spent many pounds in readiness for this season which is now on hold. The problem is when the lockdown is over it will not mean crowds will be allowed to gather together again at sporting or any other such events straight away, the crowd ban could go on for a while yet after the lockdown is over.

Could the unthinkable happen and with the longer this goes on some promotions / teams decide to cut there losses and not operate this year, giving it a miss and coming back to the tapes next year?

Could some stadiums / track owners with no income coming in (and the longer this goes on) be thinking about cutting there losses and possibly selling up?

Could some riders think that a shorter season is not worth coming back for this year and sit it out saving there equipment for next year?

If and when the season starts will the riders at home around the world be able or be allowed to travel back to this (or any other country) to continue there riding here?. Come to that will some riders be allowed to hop around Europe to several counties each week? 

Could when all this is over and normality resumes some people not want to stand around mixing in crowds again, this corona virus is not going to totally disappear overnight.

This I know is not a happy read BUT it is just some of the thoughts I have had about the possibility's this virus could cause to our sport. There are probably hundreds more problems to add to the above as well. 

You are not talking rubbish in my opinion. You could well be right on a lot of your points raised. Only time will tell.

I was speaking with someone yesterday who works for a large national company and she was saying they are planning on social distancing measures being in place for the next 12 months. 
The main issue is the situation is unprecedented and non of us know what the future holds and when things will get to what will be a new normal and precisely what that normal will be.

It will affect teams differently. Teams have finished far too often in this Sport. Sometimes totally unexpected. This is the time when i think it is inevitable. Hope we can get started asap.

Can see some riders considering their future in the sport if this goes on for another few months or the season is abandoned, may look at other jobs now ( not that there are many about) and cut their losses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

Can see some riders considering their future in the sport if this goes on for another few months or the season is abandoned, may look at other jobs now ( not that there are many about) and cut their losses.

As well as riders you have got track curators and other staff to think about, I know a lot track curators are self employed so would some get other jobs if possible?

• Like 1

Think someone on another thread mentioned a very important point. Not about the riders, who are fairly young and fairly healthy. But a lot of people behind the scenes who help speedway run, and a lot of the fans are in the vulnerable group, who are the ones who must stay out of the way of contact with others, and are probably the last people who will be allowed out/and or attend large gatherings...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The PM today talked about wearing face masks when we go out. Is some entrepreneur already making them in team colours and with logos?

8 hours ago, tonyd said:

All very good and very valid points. What I would like to see from government is some kind of financial modelling for the road ahead, ie what kind and type of tax rises will be needed to fund this lockdown. 

Some estimates for furloughling millions of staff is around 60 billion. Then there is the huge cost of lost business. Even a successful business may struggle further down the line if their suppliers have gone bust.

It was mentioned earlier on that BA may have to make a quarter of their pilots redundant, but it doesn't end there. If pilots are made redundant so will plane crews, ground staff, check in staff, cleaners caterers and the list goes on.

Looking at a speedway scenario,if multiple tracks disappear it is the riders without a job, the track staff, the suppliers ie the companies that supply the methonol, the shale, the spairs, the maintenance people, the programme printers, the caterers, the track shop and so on. 

The way I see it the longer this goes on the more likely that the economy WILL never recover or at least in some kind of form that we know. And given what we have seen from Government I really think they don't know which way to turn.

Let's just hope we get out of lockdown as quickly as possible and salvage what we can otherwise the current horrible death toll could be much much higher as a result of the lockdown itself.

Edited by TB1
Spelling

1 hour ago, Happy Hunter said:

The PM today talked about wearing face masks when we go out. Is some entrepreneur already making them in team colours and with logos?

Barry Bishop

13 hours ago, tonyd said:

Sport will need to take a back seat temporarily (at least). I am staggered Poland have had the audacity to start riding in a few weeks time.

Fast forward a few months, money is going to be very very tight. People will be more selective; if they have wages to be selective with. 

Can't see Speedway starting this year. 

Edited by Robinh88

3 hours ago, Robinh88 said:

Can't see Speedway starting this year. 

And today's poll adds to the idea that a very large minority ( 40% ) are fearful of going out from even a phased easing of lockdown. The majotity of these were in the Vulnerable Elderly category. I too can't see UK speedway operating in a meanigful way this year. And for those tracks that might fancy a dabble, if permitted, could see average numbers down by 50% or more.

• Like 2