British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Five riders that you felt were underrated.

There are certain riders over the years who did not get the credit and reconignition there racing ability deserved.I know these riders have there supporters and to be honest there are endless riders you could choose  from five for me who personally spring to mind are 1./Phil Crump  2./ Martin Ashby  3./ John Boulger 4./ Bernie Persson 5./ Bobby Schwartz.All these riders within speedway circles were all known to be terrific riders but i feel when you look at what they actually achieved i just feel they were better than that.

Edited by Sidney the robin

I'd also go with Martin Ashby plus Gordon Kennett, Bob Kilby (certainly at Exeter), Trevor Hedge and Terry Betts.

Ron Preston

5 minutes ago, M.D said:

Ron Preston

I saw quite a bit of Ron at Arlington in 1982 and he was superb round there and made a formidable heat leader trio with Gordon Kennett and Kelly Moran.

• Like 1

Jim Airey,  Soren Sjosten, Terry Betts, Dag Lovaas,  whether or not underrated they are ones that don't often get recognition in these type of discussions.  Peter Ravn could be unbeatable on his night but often gets overlooked, no surprise when you consider the list of Danes around in his time.

7 minutes ago, nw42 said:

Jim Airey,  Soren Sjosten, Terry Betts, Dag Lovaas,  whether or not underrated they are ones that don't often get recognition in these type of discussions.  Peter Ravn could be unbeatable on his night but often gets overlooked, no surprise when you consider the list of Danes around in his time.

Absolutely agree with Dag Lovaas. A great Number One at Oxford in 1975 but sadly went wrong for him at Wood Lane. I always thought that Peter Ravn was somewhat erratic and remember an incident with Neil Evitts (another candidate?) during an important World Championship meeting.

49 minutes ago, M.D said:

Ron Preston

Good call. Guess he didn't ride in the UK that long and maybe was a little less extrovert that the other Americans around at that time.

Troy Batchelor.

He doesn’t seem to enjoy much of a fan base but he’s done pretty well as a rider, especially in the UK.  On his day he’s as fast as anyone and with a different personality he could have been a GP regular.

Seeing that my first choice - Ron Preston - has been taken, I'll go for Bob Kilby, Gordon Guasco, Alan Grahame, Bo Petersen, and Chris Morton.

Ashby, Kilby, Stonehewer, Les Collins, Michanek.

Tom Farndon. I understand there are still a few people who don't consider him the greatest ever!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jim Airey, Martin Ashby, Chris Lofquist, Nigel Boocock, Mike Broadbank.

First that came to my mind was Martin Ashby-glad to see you gave Gordon Guasco a shout out Chunky- I agree , also Ron How, Dick Bradley, Trevor Hedge, George Hunter and Norman Hunter.

Bengt Jansen, Ron How, Chris Morton, Trevor Hedge, Scott Autrey.

with the usual caveat that if you asked the same question tomorrow I would probably come up with a completely different list. 

How and Jansen would definitely be there though. 

:)