British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Five riders that you felt were underrated.

As I only picked one rider I will go with another four with my Eastbourne bias...

Dean Barker, great team rider that had way to many injuries that held him back, but on his day could beat the best.

David Norris, natural talent that only really showed it consistently away from Arlington for the odd season

Adam Shields, underrated himself.

Martin Dugard but only at World level. He went back to Eastbourne after Oxford to to fulfil his Grandfathers wish to see him back before he passed away and never seemed to have the desire to complete at world level until he thought he was facing a ban in 2000 and went out to prove a point in the British GP..

Sorry, I did say it was Eastbourne bias and based on my experience..

Edited by M.D
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wessex Wanderer said:

Bengt Jansen, Ron How, Chris Morton, Trevor Hedge, Scott Autrey.

with the usual caveat that if you asked the same question tomorrow I would probably come up with a completely different list. 

How and Jansen would definitely be there though. 

:)

Ron How definitely. Also Dave Younghusband, Reidar Eide, Jim Airey and Gote Nordin

Maybe the riders who had their careers hindered by serious injury such as Stefan Kwoczala or Arne Pander. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Split said:

Maybe the riders who had their careers hindered by serious injury such as Stefan Kwoczala or Arne Pander. 

Good call.

I'd go with Ron Preston as mentioned before.

Others I would add - John Boulger. When at his best was in the shadow of Ray Wilson at Leicester and when he was a true number 1, it was at (in those days unfashionable) Cradley.

Soren Sjosten. Fantastic at Belle Vue in their glory years, but always second fiddle to Ivan.

Alan and Andy Grahame. Superb club men and international class at their best, but never felt they got the kudos that more fashionable riders received.

In more recent times - Rune Holta. Thought it was great how every year he seemed to stay in the GP's on merit despite being largely unheralded and knowing that his dual nationality was never going to help him get a nominated place in the series.

Frank Smart. Genius on a bike 

• Like 1

One of the most underrated riders of his time - but one who left an amazing impression - Geoff Mardon. His reappearance at Southampton in 1959 after 5 years out of the sport was special. I'll throw in another name as one with an incredible style - Charlie New

10 hours ago, salty said:

Others I would add - John Boulger. When at his best was in the shadow of Ray Wilson at Leicester and when he was a true number 1, it was at (in those days unfashionable) Cradley.

Soren Sjosten. Fantastic at Belle Vue in their glory years, but always second fiddle to Ivan.

Alan and Andy Grahame. Superb club men and international class at their best, but never felt they got the kudos that more fashionable riders received.

In more recent times - Rune Holta. Thought it was great how every year he seemed to stay in the GP's on merit despite being largely unheralded and knowing that his dual nationality was never going to help him get a nominated place in the series.

Brilliant picks Reidar Eide and Charlie Monk also should be mentioned.

6 hours ago, Pinny said:

Frank Smart. Genius on a bike 

How about that guy Henricksson at Newport Pinny?? what was he like remember him also can remember a young charging Puk.

20 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Brilliant picks Reidar Eide and Charlie Monk also should be mentioned.

Reidar was a tough nut (tragically died with swine fever (?) when he became a pig farmer) and recall Dag Lovass saying that Eide had no hesitation in taking him out ruthlessly on one occasion. Bert Harkins talks of a similar incident with Eide threatening to "kill him" but Bert was blameless and apparently Ronnie Moore sorted him out.

21 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

How about that guy Henricksson at Newport Pinny?? what was he like remember him also can remember a young charging Puk.

Yes Anders was a joy to watch at Newport and should have gone on to better things, but for pure entertainment Frank Smart paired with Craig Watson

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Reidar was a tough nut (tragically died with swine fever (?) when he became a pig farmer) and recall Dag Lovass saying that Eide had no hesitation in taking him out ruthlessly on one occasion. Bert Harkins talks of a similar incident with Eide threatening to "kill him" but Bert was blameless and apparently Ronnie Moore sorted him out.

God you would never think of Ronnie being that way inclined such a gentleman really Eide was a tough rider classy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, piston197 said:

Yes Anders was a joy to watch at Newport and should have gone on to better things, but for pure entertainment Frank Smart paired with Craig Watson

Never saw alot of Anders piston just at the Abbey, really liked Watson a classy stylist.Newport with Puk, Kornielsson ( etc) unearthed quite alot of  talent in the Premier days Smart( still mixing it today??? box office so exciting to watch.

Edited by Sidney the robin

10 hours ago, salty said:

1968  Leicester Salty    Wilson ( class) Michanek, Boulger some heat leader trio yesteryear was so different than today.

14 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

1968  Leicester Salty    Wilson ( class) Michanek, Boulger some heat leader trio yesteryear was so different than today.

Also in 1972 & !973 Sid. A heat leader trio of Wilson, Boulger & Jessup.

• Thanks 1