British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Five riders that you felt were underrated.

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

It was a favourite of Martin Ashby...another southern "softie"!

He certainly was with Ray/John Louis in the 1975 British Final that was one of my biggest disappointments in speedway .Reserve  for the special night i remember  supporting Ray and Tommy Jansson on the night though willy was one of my  alltime favourites.

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Difficult to make any personal opinion from a practice and then a meeting which I saw at White City. But his record in the States is impressive and he could have made an impact I think if he stuck at it in Europe. But the mentality was wrong or he was having the life he wanted in California, which you can't fault him for that

Was so disappointed with our authorities Iris they never helped Mike in his quest to get some track time in.For me if he had of rode for Wimbledon he would of been good around there.It would of been so interesting to see if he could of mastered the big tracks.

13 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

One thing that i found strange NW  was when  Briggo  made a statement saying  that  Hyde Rd was not one of his favourite tracks amazing really .Did you ever see him there at his peak 6 BLRC wins??

Yes Sid, probably saw them all, he just seemed to have a hold over that title, won it in both wet and dry conditions. Can't recall specifics but I'm sure I saw him have stinkers in league matches there, although they were probably in the twilight of his career.

BLRC was such an occasion, all the coaches from every single track, even 2nd division clubs were represented,  I think the capacity was 25,000 and you couldn't move in the place, we always had seats on the entrance to the pit bend but one year my dad forgot to get seats and we stood on the steps in same area, I didn't get to see as much of that meeting but the atmosphere was enthralling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nw42 said:

Yes Sid, probably saw them all, he just seemed to have a hold over that title, won it in both wet and dry conditions. Can't recall specifics but I'm sure I saw him have stinkers in league matches there, although they were probably in the twilight of his career.

BLRC was such an occasion, all the coaches from every single track, even 2nd division clubs were represented,  I think the capacity was 25,000 and you couldn't move in the place, we always had seats on the entrance to the pit bend but one year my dad forgot to get seats and we stood on the steps in same area, I didn't get to see as much of that meeting but the atmosphere was enthralling.

The 1983 BLRC was a terrific memory for me Gundersen, Nielsen, Lee at there best Lee having a duck egg first time out( got filled in) then was on fire afterwards.Lee always seemed to have a patchy record at Hyde Rd i don't know why he was the same at Halifax but when on it Mike could be awesome at the Shay.

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The 1983 BLRC was a terrific memory for me Gundersen, Nielsen, Lee at there best Lee having a duck egg first time out( got filled in) then was on fire afterwards.Lee always seemed to have a patchy record at Hyde Rd i don't know why he was the same at Halifax but when on it Mike could be awesome at the Shay.

Southern softiness Sid:party:   Seriously though you are right, he could be so good at Hyde Rd but you just never knew which Michael was going to turn up,  I was always excited when he was coming to town though, just lived in hope that he would be in the mood.  Michael was probably the most exciting visitor to Hyde Rd when on song, could generate so much speed off the bends.  Although as you said, Gundersen was a sight to behold on that track.

Edited by nw42

21 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

He certainly was with Ray/John Louis in the 1975 British Final that was one of my biggest disappointments in speedway .Reserve  for the special night i remember  supporting Ray and Tommy Jansson on the night though willy was one of my  alltime favourites.

Yes Martin admitted that he should have been more ruthless but I guess that wasn't in his nature...although he was more than annoyed with John Louis not only at this meeting but during the second half event of the World Team Cup at Norden when Louis hung him up on the fence. Martin took great delight in passing him and  then both Simmons and Collins to win the race! Probably Martin's greatest meeting on the International stage.

Vastly under-rated rider although I'm not sure by the "Budgie" faithful!

23 minutes ago, nw42 said:

BLRC nights were the highlight of my year as a kid - incredible atmosphere, a bit of friendly banter between supporters (and it WAS friendly!), and the feeling that you were experiencing something special.

Obviously Hyde Road was a great speedway track and there was good racing, but it was the sense of occasion that made it memorable (a bit like Wembley World Finals)

• Like 2

Five riders I thought were under rated (even though they all had good careers):-

Jim Airey

Alan Grahame

Tony Davey

Larry Ross

Martin Ashby

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes Martin admitted that he should have been more ruthless but I guess that wasn't in his nature...although he was more than annoyed with John Louis not only at this meeting but during the second half event of the World Team Cup at Norden when Louis hung him up on the fence. Martin took great delight in passing him and  then both Simmons and Collins to win the race! Probably Martin's greatest meeting on the International stage.

Vastly under-rated rider although I'm not sure by the "Budgie" faithful!

Not by me Steve watching him everyweek was a joy he was a passive man even now he watches regularly such a quiet guy .Martin and Kilb were the men for me lucky to have seen Briggs,Ashby, Kilb, Broady., Crump( snr and jnr) Autrey, Adams , Doyley Swindon have been really blessed over the years.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nw42 said:

Southern softiness Sid:party:   Seriously though you are right, he could be so good at Hyde Rd but you just never knew which Michael was going to turn up,  I was always excited when he was coming to town though, just lived in hope that he would be in the mood.  Michael was probably the most exciting visitor to Hyde Rd when on song, could generate so much speed off the bends.  Although as you said, Gundersen was a sight to behold on that track.

Were you surprised how Hans mastered Hyde Rd NW ??? i was i went from being a real doubter of his to being a real fan.My wife who went with me regularly said to me once does this rider Nielsen ever lose at Oxford superb rider great team rider to.It is no exaggeration to say that Hans in another time could of won 8 world titles great rider a great example to any young rider coming up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Were you surprised how Hans mastered Hyde Rd NW ??? i was i went from being a real doubter of his to being a real fan.My wife who went with me regularly said to me once does this rider Nielsen ever lose at Oxford superb rider great team rider to.It is no exaggeration to say that Hans in another time could of won 8 world titles great rider a great example to any young rider coming up.

The first time I saw Hans at Hyde Road was in 1984 and I have to say he had difficulty in keeping either Peter Collins or Chris Morton behind him but when I next saw him there he was a master of the track riding all the lines.

10 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Your memory is much better than mine Sid, I think a general rule was that the Scandinavians didn't fare well at Belle Vue, obviously Ole was the exception but even he had bad nights there, Hans just came across as another who excelled on smaller tracks but struggled on the wide open spaces of Hyde Rd.  I supposed once he learned that you just had to let the bike go and keep the revs on there was no stopping him, I'm sure Erik took to it quicker, such an electric starter though, I can't think of anyone who gated like Gundersen could.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nw42 said:

Your memory is much better than mine Sid, I think a general rule was that the Scandinavians didn't fare well at Belle Vue, obviously Ole was the exception but even he had bad nights there, Hans just came across as another who excelled on smaller tracks but struggled on the wide open spaces of Hyde Rd.  I supposed once he learned that you just had to let the bike go and keep the revs on there was no stopping him, I'm sure Erik took to it quicker, such an electric starter though, I can't think of anyone who gated like Gundersen could.

I don't think so NW your memory seems pretty spot on to me .

Seen Alan Grahame get a few mentions on here...and I couldn't agree more.  He didn't ride for any teams I ever supported, in fact more the opposite, riding for Cradley Heath when they were big rivals of Belle Vue for the big trophies. More often than not he was the key man too. Always capable of beating the best and doing the business in critical races. His international record doesn't really do him justice, he was much more of a club speedway rider. But I even love that his one appearance - as reserve in the 84 final - he didn't waste the moment and scored 5 from two rides. Most reserves would simply stay out of the way on such occasions. But he was always 100% effort.

35 minutes ago, falcace said:

Seen Alan Grahame get a few mentions on here...and I couldn't agree more.  He didn't ride for any teams I ever supported, in fact more the opposite, riding for Cradley Heath when they were big rivals of Belle Vue for the big trophies. More often than not he was the key man too. Always capable of beating the best and doing the business in critical races. His international record doesn't really do him justice, he was much more of a club speedway rider. But I even love that his one appearance - as reserve in the 84 final - he didn't waste the moment and scored 5 from two rides. Most reserves would simply stay out of the way on such occasions. But he was always 100% effort.

His brother, Andy, didn't even bother travelling to Munich in 1989 when he was down as a reserve!