British Speedway Forum
Robbie B

Vote For Your Top 10 1970s Race Jackets/Bibs

Sorry, obviously should have been Romford 1970-71. Definitely Glasgow 1970-72 of their Jimmy Mac BL days.

9 hours ago, salty said:

Sorry, obviously should have been Romford 1970-71. Definitely Glasgow 1970-72 of their Jimmy Mac BL days.

Hi Salty

It is all a very long time ago and everyone including myself get things slightly wrong.

I glad that someone this icon Glasgow race jacket. I may be wrong but I think the tiger image from this bib is the only one to be later adopted by others teams namely Sheffield and Mildenhall.

Jimmy Mcmillan was always one of my favourite riders to watch when I started attending speedway meetings in 1976 and would be in my top 10 British riders of the 1970s without any shadow of a doubt.

I have already made the 1976 Coatbridge race jacket last year and be seen in my 1976 speedway race jackets on YouTube at the following address

https://youtu.be/wSf0gkQXR-U

Many thanks for taking the time to vote and it will be interesting to see what teams finshes as number 1

Was it Chris Pusey and Eric Broadbelt who rode for Halifax in the 70s and what did they have on their race jacket?

I vaguely remember either a castle like the ones in Chess or an elephant for some reason, in red and blue?

30 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Was it Chris Pusey and Eric Broadbelt who rode for Halifax in the 70s and what did they have on their race jacket?

I vaguely remember either a castle like the ones in Chess or an elephant for some reason, in red and blue?

Hi Dc2

Eric Boocock would have ridden with Halifax race jacket between 1970- 74 and would not have used the 1975-78 version or the 1979 version.

Chris Pusey would have ridden using the versions before 1979.

Hope this helps

Edited by Robbie B

13 minutes ago, Robbie B said:

Hi Dc2

Eric Boocock would have ridden with Halifax race jacket between 1970- 74 and would not have used the 1975-78 version or the 1979 version.

Chris Pusey would have ridden using the versions before 1979.

Hope this helps

Thanks. Just looked it up. Eric Broadbelt rode too in 1978.

All the race jackets had elephants though and not the castle that I remember?

37 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Thanks. Just looked it up. Eric Broadbelt rode too in 1978.

All the race jackets had elephants though and not the castle that I remember?

Sorry I was thinking about Eric Boocock and not Broadbelt when I replied earlier.

I know there is no castle on the 1979 Halifax race jacket

Please note that only fully completed top 10s will be counted.

Many thanks for everyone that has voted so far.

Just Halifax, Leicester and Reading to do tomorrow then i have completed all British League race bibs from 1965-68 now off to a much deserved rest.

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 2:34 PM, iris123 said:

Indeed. I was actually wondering the point of the thread. Is it looking for specific jackets that were only or first used in the 70s ? As a lot of the choices seem to not really fall into the category 

Wembley or West Ham for instance are no different in the 70s to what they were in the 40s as is  Belle Vue......

West Ham were very different. From 1967 to 1971 they had West Ham, London on their jackets, which made them really stand out. It really hooked me as a kid, and I'm fortunate to own two originals.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

West Ham were very different. From 1967 to 1971 they had West Ham, London on their jackets, which made them really stand out. It really hooked me as a kid, and I'm fortunate to own two originals.

So true Cityrebel just by adding the words made all the difference to the race jacket.

One of my favourite from prior to the 1970s is the 1969 Nelson bib that has a ship on the front of a blue race jacket.

As not many people have bothered to vote i have closed the voting as this topic is sinking faster than the Titanic.

the top 30 race jacket video is now on YouTube for a limited time only at

https://youtu.be/BdPJDoi3q-0

Many thanks to those forum members who voted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbie B said:

As not many people have bothered to vote i have closed the voting as this topic is sinking faster than the Titanic.

the top 30 race jacket video is now on YouTube for a limited time only at

https://youtu.be/BdPJDoi3q-0

Many thanks to those forum members who voted.

That was brilliant! I thoroughly enjoyed watching the count down (bit like when I used to watch "Top of the Pops") and got more excited when the City 'Rebels'" emblem just got pipped by the "Ace"! There were some interesting entries. Great job...just a shame more people didn't engage. We need some distraction from the issues we are presently facing.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Pleased that you enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

I was going to use the Top of the Pops theme tune but I prefered Baze Away.

Yes, it was a shame that more did not engage they cannot moan if their team did not make the top 30 race jackets if they dd not vote, but not to worry and thanks Steve or your vote.

Now back to other things.

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

This YouTube video has been updated to include some changes that were required at the following address. Due to me updating my windows operating system I did miss some adjustments made by members this has now been recitified.

https://youtu.be/aJxu3owUq5g

• Like 2

Perhaps we could have programme covers?

• Like 1

Hi Steve this is a very good idea but unfortunately I do not an extensive programme collection for all of the teams from the 1970s maybe another forum member might be able to help with this, as it would be extremely nice to see all these programme covers.