Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wimbledon double

1991 and 2005. Both years marked closures for speedway at Wimbledon. I attended both closure meetings at Plough Lane. Did anyone else?

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, gustix said:

1991 and 2005. Both years marked closures for speedway at Wimbledon. I attended both closure meetings at Plough Lane. Did anyone else?

Yep went to both, also went to the last ever speedway meetings at West Ham, Wembley, White City, Crayford and Hackney.

There have been Posts about attendance at the last speedway and stock car meetings at Wimbledon, for a 'hat trick of lasts' who went to the stadium's last greyhound meeting?

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Yep went to both, also went to the last ever speedway meetings at West Ham, Wembley, White City, Crayford and Hackney.

I was with you at Wembley, White City, and Hackney...

22 minutes ago, chunky said:

I was with you at Wembley, White City, and Hackney...

The last ever at Crayford was on a wednesday night, which was unusual. The supernational final against Newcastle. The programme notes had no mention of any potential closure.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The last ever at Crayford was on a wednesday night, which was unusual. The supernational final against Newcastle. The programme notes had no mention of any potential closure.

Sadly off topic but how many seasons was there oval track car racing at Crayford. How did attendances compare with speedway?

3 hours ago, gustix said:

There have been Posts about attendance at the last speedway and stock car meetings at Wimbledon, for a 'hat trick of lasts' who went to the stadium's last greyhound meeting?

Why stick with a hat-trick? Who went to the last darts tournament at Wimbledon Stadium?

Yes, there were some big tournaments at Plough Lane, and I played in the last two there in 1985 (the B&W Classic, and the London Gold Cup Pairs).

5 hours ago, chunky said:

Why stick with a hat-trick? Who went to the last darts tournament at Wimbledon Stadium?

Yes, there were some big tournaments at Plough Lane, and I played in the last two there in 1985 (the B&W Classic, and the London Gold Cup Pairs).

Bet you had a game of squash on the last day, just to top it all off !!!:D

6 hours ago, chunky said:

...and they had so much prestige the main local newspaper did not mention them!

Edited by Guest

58 minutes ago, gustix said:

The benchmark of 'prestige' is if the Wimbledon Guardian does a report !!! Hold yer head in shame Chunky B)

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

The benchmark of 'prestige' is if the Wimbledon Guardian does a report !!! Hold yer head in shame Chunky B)

I assume gustix has a complete collection of the Wimbledon Guardian to which he can refer?

2 hours ago, gustix said:

Well, the field at the Gold Cup Pairs included two World Champions, and it wasn't often we could say that about the speedway! Not in the 1980's, anyway...

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

14 minutes ago, chunky said:

I assume gustix has a complete collection of the Wimbledon Guardian to which he can refer?

The newspaper I was referring to was the bi-weekly South London Press, published Tuesday (audit then 30,000) and Friday (audit then 70,000). As I recall the Wimbledon Guardian was a 'freebie'!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_London_Press

Edited by Guest