British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wimbledon double

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

The newspaper I was referring to was the bi-weekly South London Press, published Tuesday (audit then 30,000) and Friday (audit then 70,000). As I recall the Wimbledon Guardian was a 'freebie'!

So? The South London Press wasn't the "local" newspaper, as it covered the whole of South London. Actually, the main local paper then - and I'm sure you remember this, Doug - would possibly have been the the Wimbledon Borough News! I can't remember when that folded...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chunky said:

So? The South London Press wasn't the "local" newspaper, as it covered the whole of South London. Actually, the main local paper then - and I'm sure you remember this, Doug - would possibly have been the the Wimbledon Borough News! I can't remember when that folded...

That's right. I was only pulling John's leg anyway. I knew what he was referring to. But you are right and I don't think it was free either. Also see the Guardian has changed it's name to Wimbledon Times now

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

...and the SouthLondon Press survives!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_London_Press

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

That's right. I was only pulling John's leg anyway. I knew what he was referring to. But you are right and I don't think it was free either. Also see the Guardian has changed it's name to Wimbledon Times now

Nope, the Borough News wasn't free. A big paper with a lot of stuff in it for a local edition though. Always enjoyed reading it when I was at my nan and grandad's in Quicks Rd.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, chunky said:

I assume gustix has a complete collection of the Wimbledon Guardian to which he can refer?

Bound volumes, of course!

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

...and the SouthLondon Press survives!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_London_Press

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Even without you ? How?

I wonder? I was there full-time 1973-1997 then retired. A fortnight later they took me back for two days a week which continued until 2012. Then I retired again - but the South London Press survives!

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Even without you ? How?

Not "how"... "Because"!

Actually, the SLP did give darts plenty of coverage, so I can't complain there. Roy Grimwood was the darts correspondent.

14 hours ago, salty said:

Jonah

There you go. I've been to a few more last evers, including Reading, lakeside and Rye House. I must be a jinx!

used to get the borough news, can't ever recall SLP

28 minutes ago, chunky said:

Not "how"... "Because"!

Actually, the SLP did give darts plenty of coverage, so I can't complain there. Roy Grimwood was the darts correspondent.

Yes, I do vaguely recall in my early SLP days darts and Roy Grimwood now. But it was a sport possibly 'dropped' in the late 1970s.

19 minutes ago, stevehone said:

used to get the borough news, can't ever recall SLP

Not surprised to read this. And the SLP never mentioned you as a rider in its twice weekly speedway column either!

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

Bet you had a game of squash on the last day, just to top it all off !!!:D

Don't forget the last Car Boot Sale

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Yep went to both, also went to the last ever speedway meetings at West Ham, Wembley, White City, Crayford and Hackney.

Can I ask you stay away from Ipswich please? ;)