British Speedway Forum

I seem to remember a rider hitting one of the floodlight posts back in the late 70's or early 80's at Blackbird road and bringing the post down... maybe Mike Lanham or Mike Farrel??

One of the worse crashes I saw at Cowley was when 'Joe' Gooddy's bike stalled down the back straight. Bobby Beaton was following closely and couldn't avoid him and went over the fence. We were fearing the worse but Bobby was up and riding at Glasgow's next meeting. Tough breed these speedway riders!

Edited by steve roberts

23 minutes ago, iainb said:

I seem to remember a rider hitting one of the floodlight posts back in the late 70's or early 80's at Blackbird road and bringing the post down... maybe Mike Lanham or Mike Farrel??

May have been Mike Lanham? I think Tony Davey's career ended at Leicester after suffering a particularly bad broken leg after not long coming back from injury.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vince said:

It's funny how the vast majority of Speedway fans say they hate seeing crashes and yet crashes and cock ups DVD's outsell all the others by a wide margin.

I'm quite happy to put my hand up and say that I like watching crashes if nobody is seriously hurt and that includes my own and those of my kids!

Good to see one from a different angle!

Guy in the lead popping wheelies down the straights. That sort of showboating never ends well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, iainb said:

Mike Lanham ran into the back of Gordon Kennett when his bike packed up on the home straight in a Border Trophy meeting against Kings Lynn in 1983. Certainly one of the worst crashes I have seen.

I remember Mike Farrell breaking his femur at some point but cannot recall the specific crash.

The other one that sticks in my mind was Chris Holder at Coventry.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elmo said:

Mike Lanham ran into the back of Gordon Kennett when his bike packed up on the home straight in a Border Trophy meeting against Kings Lynn in 1983. Certainly one of the worst crashes I have seen.

I remember that one - really nasty.

Four I've witnessed stick in my mind:

Eastbourne's Robert Slabon 'Fosberry flopping' over the third bend safety fence at The Shay. He ended up on the terracing. Early Eighties.

Milton Keynes's Troy Butler sustained a neck gash when he piled up on the first-second turn during Glasgow's ill-fated half-season (1987) at Derwent Park. Throughout Glasgow's stay, the track, apparently left to its own devices from one meeting to the next, was better suited to Moto-X.

Mark Lemon, straight from the gate, going right through the first bend safety fence at Kirky Lane, ending up on the dog track. It was a World U21 qualifier, early 1990s, I think.

Middlesbrough's Chris Readshaw having three spectacular offs in one meeting at Cleveland Park. Late Eighties. The final spill saw him skim the top of the home straight safety fence before landing heavily on the track. IIRC, Readshaw injured a wrist slightly. Amazing.

Brave buggers, speedway riders!

Plus: I've seen TV footage in the past of a shocking first bend crash at Eastville, Bristol. Hell of an impact. Miraculously, the rider was unhurt. Was it Graeme Stapleton?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

Bob Coles had a seriously impressive crash at Bristol and dusted himself down...have a feeling that it was featured on "World of Sport"?

I think it was Taylor Poole at the EWR when he crash at turn 2 and his bike flew over the air fence and knocked a spectator out..luckily he only damaged his hooter and lost a tooth I maybe wrong on the damage but it was not nice to see 

The 4TT final at Peterborough in 91 i think it would had a bad one that i thought it was the worst i'd seen.  Wiltshire, Parker, Hancock and Matousek all came down on the back straight.  Been trying to find it for a while but don't think classic speedway videos had it when i looked last.

Was the one where Matousek threw a punch into the crowd after breaking his wrist. Wiltshire broken elbow aswell i think.

• Like 1

Stuart Robson at Mildenhall 07. Picked up grip and went straight on into the armco barrier full throttle. Thought he was dead. Meeting abandoned and towels and sheets put up as the paramedics worked on him.

Ended up with a smashed sternum and pelvis

Seen a few but one spectacular / unusual crash was Jamie Smith at Mildenhall v Newport, in 2007 I think.  1st bend melee, Jamie hit the fence went straight up vertically and cleared the row of fancy coloured fairy lights high up above the fence, made front page of the Star....

6 hours ago, pawel115 said:

I remember an incident at Wolverhampton in the 70s. A polish team were riding there. Edmund Migos and a team mate tangled and both ripped up half of the satfety fence on the back straight and both ended up on the greyhound track. Edmund was taken away in an ambulance. The stadium was in silence. When they had finished reerecting the fence, Edmund surprisingly appeared for the rerun!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Bob Coles had a seriously impressive crash at Bristol and dusted himself down...have a feeling that it was featured on "World of Sport"?

Yes, I think that was the one. Thanks!

As I recall, World of Sport got Coles's permission (and ensured he was unhurt) before screening it.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1