British Speedway Forum

12 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

The 4TT final at Peterborough in 91 i think it would had a bad one that i thought it was the worst i'd seen.  Wiltshire, Parker, Hancock and Matousek all came down on the back straight.  Been trying to find it for a while but don't think classic speedway videos had it when i looked last.

Was the one where Matousek threw a punch into the crowd after breaking his wrist. Wiltshire broken elbow aswell i think.

I watched that 4TT pile-up, close to, from the back straight. I remember Matousek got to his feet, grinned broadly then mimed a bird in flight to the crowd.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

The 4TT final at Peterborough in 91 i think it would had a bad one that i thought it was the worst i'd seen.  Wiltshire, Parker, Hancock and Matousek all came down on the back straight.  Been trying to find it for a while but don't think classic speedway videos had it when i looked last.

Was the one where Matousek threw a punch into the crowd after breaking his wrist. Wiltshire broken elbow aswell i think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Nasty!

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Woah great find Ian.  I haven't even got to the crash yet as i've spotted myself as a kid by the start gate right at the beginning of the clip and got myself a bit emotional..  will watch the rest now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Woah great find Ian.  I haven't even got to the crash yet as i've spotted myself as a kid by the start gate right at the beginning of the clip and got myself a bit emotional..  will watch the rest now!

Where exactly?

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Where exactly?

By the starting gate at the very beginning.. hanging over the fence in my red arsenal top as a 13 year old..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

By the starting gate at the very beginning.. hanging over the fence in my red arsenal top as a 13 year old..

93 4 team final was better :)

Just now, racers and royals said:

93 4 team final was better :)

It certainly was boss.. cracking day out that was.. wonder if that's on youtube somewhere aswell

7 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

It certainly was boss.. cracking day out that was.. wonder if that's on youtube somewhere aswell

I`m pretty sure that Anglia TV filmed it for their weekly speedway programme- if my memory serves me right Keith Huewen  did the interviews including the team manager of the winning team !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another was a windy, gusty nite in Hull v Coventry in 1999, riders were noticably slower down the backstraight at times but a sudden strong gust as Sam Ermolenko entered turn 3 (imagine not riding around the corner but just taking a sharp left as into a side street) took him across the bend and into the home straight fence taking the unfortunate Su Robson with him.  Both riders finished up sitting on the track, arms outstetched in the universal 'what the flip' expression, just batterd and bruised apparently.

More biazarre and much worse was David Walsh, again at Hull in 2001.  He was following close behind Peterbrough rider Jan Andersen, again in turns 3 & 4,  Andersen suffered an engine failure and the unfortunate Walsh literally had nowhere to go, collected Andersen and carried on towards the start line and coming to a sudden stop on the track but his bike's cut-out failed to operate and it turned a sharp left across the rugby pitch, acclerated by itself travelling the full length of the pitch until coming to rest on its side against the fence at turn 2, engine screaming at max revs until a member of track staff manage to stop it.  One of those times I was pleased to be in the main stand and not closer as I'm told Walsh's distress could clearly be heard from the terracing.  The crash ended his career and I believe Andersen broke his leg though recovered and rode on for a few more years....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling, clarity
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:49 AM, steve roberts said:

One of the worse crashes I saw at Cowley was when 'Joe' Gooddy's bike stalled down the back straight. Bobby Beaton was following closely and couldn't avoid him and went over the fence. We were fearing the worse but Bobby was up and riding at Glasgow's next meeting. Tough breed these speedway riders!

Were you there the night Richard Juul crashed into the pit gate at Cowley? Seriously injured, in fact it's said they had to bring him back on the way to the hospital.

I remember Wolves fans becoming extremely angry as they were playing 'Another one bites the dust' as he was being attended too. 

I'm sure there was nothing sinister, just an oversight and whomever was playing the music had their mind elsewhere.

Nick Simmons clipping Wato’s back wheel on the first bend at Exeter and clearing the stadium and landing in a back garden. How the hell he lived to tell the tale I will never know. 

Went on a random trip to oxford in 1999 to watch Oxford vs Poole , Jesper Olsen guesting (can’t remember for who) crashed on the third bend . Horrendous crash and his hard hat came off and was ruined. 

Newport v Edinburgh 2002/3, Frede schott driving the rest straight into the first bend fence and causing carnage. Pathetically was allowed in the re run and won forcing a re run of the two legs (must of been KO CUP). 

ben Howe clattering into a reserve at Arena and going straight through the fence and smashing his thigh to pieces.... nigh on ended his career. 

many many more to list but they are some of the worst I have seen. 

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Were you there the night Richard Juul crashed into the pit gate at Cowley? Seriously injured, in fact it's said they had to bring him back on the way to the hospital.

I remember Wolves fans becoming extremely angry as they were playing 'Another one bites the dust' as he was being attended too. 

I'm sure there was nothing sinister, just an oversight and whomever was playing the music had their mind elsewhere.

Yes I remember that incident (I used to stand on the third bend)...vaguely recall the choice of music being played and the furore it created. There used to be a number of crashes on that area of the track because of the notorious adverse camber which used to catch a few riders out (although not in Richard's case as I seem to remember that there was a coming together between two riders?)

It became very obvious to me during one close season when I was helping with getting the track ready for the new season and becoming very aware of the track flattening out two thirds the way up to the fence. One rider who used it to his advantage, however, was Dag Lovaas who rode the line perfectly sweeping past opponents by sticking his rear wheel on the point of no return so to speak!

Edited by steve roberts

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Richard Juul came back a couple of seasons later, was very tentative in his first ride but after that was back on the gas, Fair play to him he's got intestinal fortitude as they used to say in the WWF.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I remember that incident (I used to stand on the third bend)...vaguely recall the choice of music being played and the furore it created. There used to be a number of crashes on that area of the track because of the notorious adverse camber which used to catch a few riders out (although not in Richard's case as I seem to remember that there was a coming together between two riders?)

It became very obvious to me during one close season when I was helping with getting the track ready for the new season and becoming very aware of the track flattening out two thirds the way up to the fence. One rider who used it to his advantage, however, was Dag Lovaas who rode the line perfectly sweeping past opponents by sticking his rear wheel on the point of no return so to speak!

Martin Goodwin was the other rider, he must have been made of India rubber i saw him have many a spectacular get off and he was generally ok afterwards.