British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, iainb said:

Was that the one where Sam just missed (or maybe glanced) the wooden post sticking out of the ground with his head? I remember thinking how very different it could have been if the post had been positioned a few inches to the left as his neck was very exposed!

Yes you're right, I remember it being shown on the local TV news and realising how lucky Sam was.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dave Goddard said:

One of the first televised matches at Monmore Green against Ipswich when Sam Ermolenko and Jason Bunyan ploughed at full speed through the turn one fence and nearly ended up in the pits, a very long delay before racing resumed in that one.

This match shouldn't have really started, conditions were awful after heavy rain all day but because it was Sky they got the JCB's out to try and make a rideable surface. The big crash was in heat one and you couldn't help wondering how much the conditions played a part in it. From memory Bunyan broke his thigh and arm plus other minor bumps, Ermolenko broke his shoulder and other minor injuries but once home and reviewing the crash both could be considered lucky, it could have been so much worse.

This is the worst crash I've ever seen live... Not sure of the injuries, can't quite understand the anger towards Danny Halsey... Clearly Stefan was just as hard on him in the first lap and there was still plenty of room for Stefan, just unfortunately he picked up drive and went towards the fence... Thankfully Stefan must have been ok as he still rides today, first and only time I've ever been to Mildenhall, would love to go back again soon. Not sure if Danny or Stefan is known for being dirty riders or not, but both gave it as good as they got in this race. Good race imo until the obvious crash

Also a pretty nasty one, aired on live tv... Me favourite rider right now, thank god he still rides

Similar to Franchetti's crash earlier on in the thread

And this is the most dramatic one I can remember seeing on YouTube... All pretty nasty crashes, brilliant how none of them were TOO serious and riders rode on another day

28 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

This is the worst crash I've ever seen live... Not sure of the injuries, can't quite understand the anger towards Danny Halsey... Clearly Stefan was just as hard on him in the first lap and there was still plenty of room for Stefan, just unfortunately he picked up drive and went towards the fence... Thankfully Stefan must have been ok as he still rides today, first and only time I've ever been to Mildenhall, would love to go back again soon. Not sure if Danny or Stefan is known for being dirty riders or not, but both gave it as good as they got in this race. Good race imo until the obvious crash

Neilsen has a terrible reputation amongst other riders to this day. 

2 minutes ago, HGould said:

Neilsen has a terrible reputation amongst other riders to this day. 

Really? I honestly never knew that, thought he was one of the nice guys of the sport, but I am clearly wrong, as I don't know his character very well

53 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Really? I honestly never knew that, thought he was one of the nice guys of the sport, but I am clearly wrong, as I don't know his character very well

Not sure that's true...he was tough competitor for sure but no tougher than a host of others over a long period. To quote John Berry from an article in 'Backtrack' :-

"I found it most interesting to hear how, towards the end of his career, when the grand prix systen came along, a number of fellow riders - mostly much younger - resented his self contained approach to his racing. It seems he was ostracised for not wanting to be 'one of the boys'. There was even, so I heard, a whisper among some of his rivals to make the possibility of another success even more difficult by a few of his opponents 'ganging up' against him. As I say, it was only a whisper but sad to hear nonetheless, when it appears to me the only things they had against him were his outstanding record and ability and a higher degree of dedication and determination than other riders".

I can only guess who those riders may well have been but I have suspicions.

Edited by steve roberts

51 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Not sure that's true...he was tough competitor for sure but no tougher than a host of others over a long period. To quote John Berry from an article in 'Backtrack' :-

"I found it most interesting to hear how, towards the end of his career, when the grand prix systen came along, a number of fellow riders - mostly much younger - resented his self contained approach to his racing. It seems he was ostracised for not wanting to be 'one of the boys'. There was even, so I heard, a whisper among some of his rivals to make the possibility of another success even more difficult by a few of his opponents 'ganging up' against him. As I say, it was only a whisper but sad to hear nonetheless, when it appears to me the only things they had against him were his outstanding record and ability and a higher degree of dedication and determination than other riders".

I can only guess who those riders may well have been but I have suspicions.

I think your thinking of the wrong Stefan neilsen - the one on this video is the ginger one currently still riding . He can win races but I'd say he's not the most in control rider I've ever seen. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

I think your thinking of the wrong Stefan neilsen - the one on this video is the ginger one currently still riding . He can win races but I'd say he's not the most in control rider I've ever seen. 

Apologies...the name Nielsen only conjours up Hans in my mind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Probably something for a different thread, but it amazes me watching back through clips, especially in this country, of the high throughput of riders who never really "make it" and when I say make it I mean hold down a regular spot in the main body of a team. I don't know how Speedway compares to other sports for throughput of talent but you only have to have a look through the speedway updates site from a few years ago to see the amount of riders who don't "make it"

17 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Apologies...the name Nielsen only conjours up Hans in my mind!

yes I definitely meant Stefan and not Hans....chalk and cheese to put it mildly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

True, but based on my sponsorship experience -  a superb ambassador off track.

• Like 1