British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BL65

World Final consistency

The top 10 for World Final consistency in terms of average points per ride ( from a minimum of 3 final appearances and excluding run-offs):

1 Ivan Mauger 2.51 (176 points from 70 rides)
2 Bruce Penhall 2.47 (37 from 15)
3 Freddie Williams 2.40 (48 from 20)
4 Barry Briggs 2.34 (201 from 86)
5= Wilbur Lamoreaux and Jack Milne 2.33 (both 35 from 15)
7= Ove Fundin and Erik Gundersen 2.31 (173 from 75 and 104 from 45)
9 Ole Olsen 2.29 (119 from 52)
10 Hans Nielsen 2.28 (171 from 75)

Others which may be of interest:
17 Bjorn Knutson 2.13
22 Ronnie Moore 2.06
24 Sam Ermolenko 2.04
31 Peter Craven 1.92
37 Anders Michanek 1.86
41 Peter Collins 1.78
48 Tony Rickardsson 1.65
79 Nigel Boocock 1.24
86 Chris Morton 0.98
97 Tommy Jansson 0.73

From less than 3 finals, Bluey Wilkinson 2.90, Les Collins 2.60, Wally Green 2.60, Alan Grahame 2.50, Gary Havelock 2.40, Sverre Harrfeldt 2.40, Gordon Kennett 2.40, Bob Oakley 2.40, Todd Wiltshire 2.40, Craig Boyce 2.40.

In the GP era, Tai Woffinden has scored 946 points from 519 rides for an average of 1.82.  This would have ranked 39th in the World Final list, but the formats are too different for a comparison to be meaningful.

• Like 5

Any chance Michael Lee and Simon Wigg please?

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Any chance Michael Lee and Simon Wigg please?

Michael Lee 2.07, 18th= with Kenny Carter, Tommy Knudsen and Cordy Milne.  Simon Wigg 2.00, 25th= with Gote Nordin, Jack Young, Shawn Moran and Torbjorn Harrysson. 

Just now, BL65 said:

Michael Lee 2.07, 18th= with Kenny Carter, Tommy Knudsen and Cordy Milne.  Simon Wigg 2.00, 25th= with Gote Nordin, Jack Young, Shawn Moran and Torbjorn Harrysson. 

Many thanks...fascinating stats!

Very interesting. 

Agree also that you cant compare the stats from the GP era as the fields are stronger, and the semi-final/final format means top riders meet each other even more (up to 3 times a meeting). 

1 hour ago, waiheke1 said:

Very interesting. 

Agree also that you cant compare the stats from the GP era as the fields are stronger, and the semi-final/final format means top riders meet each other even more (up to 3 times a meeting). 

Strange... I keep reading on the BSF how much easier it is in the GP's, and how the riders are crap compared to the old days...

I always enjoy your threads BL65 (before anybody gets their nose out of joint- I enjoy many others also) I would have to say though that there should be an asterisk next to Fred Williams name-as he rode all his rides on his home track- I wonder how many others would have surpassed his stats if they could also just have ridden on their home tracks also e.g. Fundin at Norwich, Moore at Wimbledon, Craven at Belle Vue., Nigel Boocock at Coventry?? Also thinking about it some more shouldn't Jack Young be on that list somewhere.

58 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Also thinking about it some more shouldn't Jack Young be on that list somewhere.

Jack Young averaged 2.00 and is 25th= with Torbjorn Harrysson, Shawn Moran, Gote Nordin and Simon Wigg.  Two ex-Wasps there.

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Kelly must be somewhere between 11th and 16th on your list (33/15=2.20)?

12= with Jan O. Pedersen.

• Thanks 1

11 Lionel Van Praag 2.21
12= Kelly Moran, Jan O. Pedersen, Malcolm Simmons 2.20
15= Bengt Jansson, Olle Nygren 2.16
17 Bjorn Knutson 2.13
18= Kenny Carter, Tommy Knudsen, Michael Lee, Cordy Milne 2.07
22 Ronnie Moore 2.06
23 John Louis 2.05
24 Sam Ermolenko 2.04
25= Torbjorn Harryson, Shawn Moran, Gote Nordin, Simon Wigg, Jack Young 2.00
30 Per Jonsson 1.97

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I always enjoy your threads BL65 (before anybody gets their nose out of joint- I enjoy many others also) I would have to say though that there should be an asterisk next to Fred Williams name-as he rode all his rides on his home track- I wonder how many others would have surpassed his stats if they could also just have ridden on their home tracks also e.g. Fundin at Norwich, Moore at Wimbledon, Craven at Belle Vue., Nigel Boocock at Coventry?? Also thinking about it some more shouldn't Jack Young be on that list somewhere.

But Freddie  Williams had to get through to Wembley  through  the qualifying rounds on away track as well

16 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

But Freddie  Williams had to get through to Wembley  through  the qualifying rounds on away track as well

And ?

No doubt he was one of the top riders, so shouldn't have had problems getting through in the top 16. That is a totally different thing to winning on his home track......apples and pears

• Like 1

You are right Mike but so did the other 15- I would not dispute that Fred qualified fair and square (like the others) but fact is 14 of the other 15 were riding away from home unlike Fred- Same thing in 1953. Also in 1952 Fred finished second on his home track and at third was Bob Oakley -another Wembley rider in his only WF appearance who by no means was one of their top stars.  Again home track advantage . BTW the 1952 win of Jack Young  of West Ham shows his greatness in overcoming the 2 Wembley riders, again just think how manty times Ove for example would have won if the WF had been held on his home track of Norwich.

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

You are right Mike but so did the other 15- I would not dispute that Fred qualified fair and square (like the others) but fact is 14 of the other 15 were riding away from home unlike Fred- Same thing in 1953. Also in 1952 Fred finished second on his home track and at third was Bob Oakley -another Wembley rider in his only WF appearance who by no means was one of their top stars.  Again home track advantage . BTW the 1952 win of Jack Young  of West Ham shows his greatness in overcoming the 2 Wembley riders, again just think how manty times Ove for example would have won if the WF had been held on his home track of Norwich.

Or if the world final was held only at belle vue - would kenny carter be a double world champ, mighty Mort a world champ...