British Speedway Forum
Happy Hunter

Behind closed doors?

7 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

VIEWING figures for televised speedway meetings between 80 and 100 thousand

given that people have paid subscriptions for more content than speedway you couldn't expect those figures for a pay per view but even if you got 50% at £5 per event (c20 heat individual, 4TT, pairs etc) you're into £200k income. I'm no expert on the costs of running a meeting but I can't imagine £200k wouldn't cover it.

alas I think the window of opportunity has passed and now our screens will be filled with millionaires who didn't want to entertain us when we needed them to.  whilst our under paid speedway riders who I'm sure would have jumped at the chance to entertain are still sat twiddling their thumbs earning nothing for another six weeks at least.

we've all been let down during this pandemic but you do have to feel for the riders.  

• Like 1

I think you are right that the opportunity is passed. The sad thing is that, as far as I can see, no one even bothered to do the sums to find out if my original suggestions were feasible. Like you I have no idea what it costs to put a meeting on but Philip's figures suggested that there is an audience for live speedway and even old meetings can get nearly 3k viewers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

I think you are right that the opportunity is passed. The sad thing is that, as far as I can see, no one even bothered to do the sums to find out if my original suggestions were feasible. Like you I have no idea what it costs to put a meeting on but Philip's figures suggested that there is an audience for live speedway and even old meetings can get nearly 3k viewers.

Eastbourne put together a cost/benefit analysis and said they felt the paying audience would not be sufficient to run meetings.

11 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Eastbourne put together a cost/benefit analysis and said they felt the paying audience would not be sufficient to run meetings.

yes I wouldn't pay to stream an Eastbourne meeting unless it was against the Diamonds.  There is no way each track could have run meetings and relied on streaming revenue.  Those receipts would be far lower than gate receipts and other income that a normal meeting would generate.  But with a little creative thinking arranging one meeting per week featuring a number of teams (albeit scratch line ups due to the lack of riders) either pairs, individual or 4TT might have attracted viewing figures of the scale previous TV matches had.  Then you start to look like having a viable product. Not ideal but might have got the sport some much needed exposure at a time when sports channels must have been desperate for live content.

22 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Think they are right ,unless the riders took Substantial pay cut. Even then I doubt it would be viable for British League Speedway.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 9:07 AM, Happy Hunter said:

A streamed meeting! Whatever next! https://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.38333