British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Is you club having a good lockdown/Covid-19 crisis?

As the sun continues to shine down on the non-existent 2020 speedway season, I have been thinking about which clubs are having a good 'war' [I use the term very advisedly and am well aware of people grieving as well as the financial impact].

The danger for speedway clubs is that they would hibernate after the authorities (rightly) put a block on speedway and other sports. 

Many of you will know my two teams are Eastbourne - because I live close by the track - and King's Lynn where my teenage and tearaway days were spent.

From the PR/media standpoint you would think the Eagles were in the top division and the Stars languishing near the bottom of the NDL.

Eastbourne's media team appears to me have not slept a wink. I'm sure there is more social media posting and website updates than if we are racing.

There have been some very creative stuff coming out of the Eagles nest - loved the Ultimate Eagle. Congratulations to David Norris on winning - personally I would have put money on it being ?Gordon Kennett but then Floppy was loved by fans.

This affiliates idea Eastbourne launched on Monday is smart. Looks like if I want something from Wickes website I access through the Eagles website = a few bob for the club I support. Smart work guys.

Also great to see the merchandise launch. I will be buying some new clobber -- and that will also help my team.

How's your team doing? 

Not looking to score points here. Clubs need to share ideas and a good way is through this site.

That's why I am delighted to see Peterborough looking for their all-time 1-7, just as Eastbourne did. It's a good idea, so go ahead and use it - that's my view.

Long time since I lived within a few miles of the Showground and it was once a regular haunt. 

Jamie Habbin anyone??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good thread actually. I have seen my team, Belle Vue do a hour recording with a couple of riders.My 2nd lot, Kent did a name the new mascot competition. What i prefer doing is watching full old meetings. Isle of Wight have been the best for that. Seen a few Edinburgh, Redcar, Somerset, Poole and your lot, Eastbourne. One v Oxford. Clubs must do as much as they can to satisfy their supporters and keep themselves in peoples minds. The basics are easy, The Clubs who are doing the regular, Season delay programmes. A GREAT IDEA. Them that are doing the merch launch. Yeah some good stuff on your clubs site there Richard. How about getting yourself that NHS top ?. All i can say is i am thankful for this forum, the re-run vids and the Star every week.

• Like 2

Having typed Jamie Habbin's name in my original post, all I can hear in my brain is the Pink Panther music (his 'signature' tune at Alwalton).

• Haha 1

Absolutely nothing from the league champions Leicester... as usual

51 minutes ago, iainb said:

Absolutely nothing from the league champions Leicester... as usual

Apart from (but not limited to)

4 issues of the lockdown magazine,

2 competitions,

132 tweets,

79 Facebook posts

Fans social media Q&A sesions with both the Lions & Cubs Managers,

12 news stories on their own website

Posting of individual races across SM platforms.

This doesnt read like "Absolutely nothing". And for the purpose of emphasis,  over the first 54 days of lockdown this means that the club has released on average "4.28 releases"  each day. But dont let facts stand in the way of a mindless post on social media.

17 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

As the sun continues to shine down on the non-existent 2020 speedway season, I have been thinking about which clubs are having a good 'war' [I use the term very advisedly and am well aware of people grieving as well as the financial impact].

The danger for speedway clubs is that they would hibernate after the authorities (rightly) put a block on speedway and other sports. 

Many of you will know my two teams are Eastbourne - because I live close by the track - and King's Lynn where my teenage and tearaway days were spent.

From the PR/media standpoint you would think the Eagles were in the top division and the Stars languishing near the bottom of the NDL.

Eastbourne's media team appears to me have not slept a wink. I'm sure there is more social media posting and website updates than if we are racing.

There have been some very creative stuff coming out of the Eagles nest - loved the Ultimate Eagle. Congratulations to David Norris on winning - personally I would have put money on it being ?Gordon Kennett but then Floppy was loved by fans.

This affiliates idea Eastbourne launched on Monday is smart. Looks like if I want something from Wickes website I access through the Eagles website = a few bob for the club I support. Smart work guys.

Also great to see the merchandise launch. I will be buying some new clobber -- and that will also help my team.

How's your team doing? 

Not looking to score points here. Clubs need to share ideas and a good way is through this site.

That's why I am delighted to see Peterborough looking for their all-time 1-7, just as Eastbourne did. It's a good idea, so go ahead and use it - that's my view.

Long time since I lived within a few miles of the Showground and it was once a regular haunt. 

Jamie Habbin anyone??

I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised by Lynn’s social media presence, they’ve popped up in my timelines more than I thought they might. 

No idea what Eastie are doing other than your comments as I don’t follow them but I would say as a general point that bombarding people with too much stuff could work the other way and might turn into white noise eventually. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

Apart from (but not limited to)

4 issues of the lockdown magazine,

2 competitions,

132 tweets,

79 Facebook posts

Fans social media Q&A sesions with both the Lions & Cubs Managers,

12 news stories on their own website

Posting of individual races across SM platforms.

This doesnt read like "Absolutely nothing". And for the purpose of emphasis,  over the first 54 days of lockdown this means that the club has released on average "4.28 releases"  each day. But dont let facts stand in the way of a mindless post on social media.

OK, to be fair, not "absolutely nothing"... just no increase compared to normal, like many other clubs have. The club has yet to really acknowledge they won the league for goodness sake. As for the Twitter, I wouldn't know as they blocked me last year when I was asking them why it was taking so long to run a meeting with a massive rain cloud heading towards the stadium... 132 tweets in 54 days, Donald Trump does that in a day :rofl:

How do you think it compares to Eastbourne?

Edited by iainb

23 minutes ago, iainb said:

132 tweets in 54 days, Donald Trump does that in a day :rofl:

Id suggest that's no recommendation.:P

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Id suggest that's no recommendation.:P

He's given me some of the best entertainment during lock down with his white house press conferences :rofl:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

OK, to be fair, not "absolutely nothing"... just no increase compared to normal, like many other clubs have. The club has yet to really acknowledge they won the league for goodness sake. As for the Twitter, I wouldn't know as they blocked me last year when I was asking them why it was taking so long to run a meeting with a massive rain cloud heading towards the stadium... 132 tweets in 54 days, Donald Trump does that in a day :rofl:

How do you think it compares to Eastbourne?

Against the same period last year. Twitter is over 300% up and Facebook has doubled. They didn't do the special print publications or the Q&A sessions. So again, "no increase against normal" is just a lie.

Secondly the club have made trophies available for Supporters Club events. What else would you like them to do?

Moving onto the slow running meeting can you remember which one please? Also what would you do differently to speed things up?

Finally with regards to comparisons against Eastbourne we have more twitter and facebook post so I would say favourably.

48 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

Against the same period last year. Twitter is over 300% up and Facebook has doubled. They didn't do the special print publications or the Q&A sessions. So again, "no increase against normal" is just a lie.

Secondly the club have made trophies available for Supporters Club events. What else would you like them to do?

Moving onto the slow running meeting can you remember which one please? Also what would you do differently to speed things up?

Finally with regards to comparisons against Eastbourne we have more twitter and facebook post so I would say favourably.

300% means nothing... 300% of not much is still not much

I'm not a member of the supporters club... the only thing I've seen of the trophy is a photo on the website. The majority of fans will never see the team that won it parade it, very poor!

Like I said, I'm blocked from Lions twitter and I'm not on Facebook anymore, my go to place is the website, that like I've mentioned in the past doesn't even mention we're champions.

How many meetings have you shown on your YouTube channel from the 15 or so years that would be available of video coverage? Do you have a YouTube channel? I've just set one up, check it out, it's dead easy to do.

There were 3 memorable, for the wrong reasons, meetings last year vs Redcar 29/6, vs Sheffield & Stoke 4/8, Glasgow & Cradley 17/8

I'm not going to get into what I would have done differently on here as it's all been discussed within those match threads and you'll probably just say it was force majeure

Believe me I'm not just criticising for criticism's sake, If I thought it was any good I would say so, Eastbourne have been excellent with their Eagles TV as has Edinburgh's EMTV and SpeedwayGB. Poole made a few meetings available to view. Berwick also. In fact the whole of Leicester's output leaves a lot to be desired... Glasgow is the gold standard.

Just sticking out the odd Tweet and Facebook post seems a bit lazy by comparison... anyway the original question was Is my club having a good lock down... I'd have to say NO!

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Ian in response to you last post.

1 If you think percentages are meaningless then the facts are 41 increasing to 132 over the same period shows increased activity. So not the same.

2. You don't have to be a member to attend the Supporters Club events. So you could have gone to the end of season party where riders were paraded alongside trophies. As an aside you should consider joing the Club as they do alot of excellent work behing the scenes.

3. How do you suggest trophies are paraded when they were won in the final week of the season and we have not had a home meeting since?

4. The clubs official website does mention winning the leagues, cup & shield. Both in the news and the roll of honour. If that is your go to place for information I am surprised you missed it.

5. I am an individual, who works in publishing & in the past, in broadcast media so I do not feel the need to have a youtube channel. Having said that I do hope yours is successful and that you are not in breach of Copyright permission (generally 70 year) from any pre-recorded race content that you have uploaded onto your channel.

6. Track work is carried out in most meetings during the meeting.This is no different at Leicester If you are taking about generally slow running of meetings at Leicester my experience is that they tend to be quicker than most of the away track I visted last year.

Edited by W9 Lion

11 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

I agree... there's no answer is there?

:rofl:

King's Lynn the No. 1 infection hotspot in the East of England - thus "beating"  Ipswich and Peterbotough and Mildenhall. Not really something to brag about really is it?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

King's Lynn the No. 1 infection hotspot in the East of England - thus "beating"  Ipswich and Peterbotough and Mildenhall. Not really something to brag about really is it?

More difficult to suitably sanitise the extra fingers and minimise the spread......;):P

• Haha 5