British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lurcher

highest avg rider

Good for the stattos but a bit boring really, where is the jeopardy when these 11+ riders were in their races? 

thanks for all the replies.  I came to the sport in the 1990 so most are a bit before my time, but would have loved to have seen some of the riders mentioned in full flight.

• Like 1

I remember I Mauger from time to time leaving his fuel tap closed and losing power on bends 1/2, after turning it back on he would chase the other riders and often still beat them.

• Like 1

Hans Nielsen is the only rider I know of to manage a perfect 12.00 league average away from home during an entire season. He dropped a few races at home, though, bless him.

It was 1986. He finished with a league average of 11.83.

From what I remember, that year there was a small league and the League Cup took up half the season. His average in that was lower so it drops below Ivan's. In league alone, though, I'm pretty sure Hans in 1986 wins it.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 2:01 PM, mikebv said:

To be fair there does need to be the balance to the equation that many of the 'massive' averages were gained with no fixed gate positions, and the No1 usually picked the best every time, and usually only four rides a night with no 'best riders in the last race' which can impact massively averages nowadays..

But even so, running a high 11 plus average was some achievement given that virtually all the best riders in the World rode here at the time and the heat leaders still rode often against each other..

All the more remarkable that Hans achieved an average of 11.03 in 1988 and 10.91 in 1989 when both those criterias were in operation. Just demonstates the force he was during the eighties.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

All the more remarkable that Hans achieved an average of 11.03 in 1988 and 10.91 in 1989 when both those criterias were in operation. Just demonstates the force he was during the eighties.

Agreed, although the big hitting Heat 13 wasn't in place for 88 and 89.

The other riders to achieve 11+ averages since no fixed gates and nominated riders races in place.

Ermolenko in 1993 with 11.12... this was a season where heat leaders didn't race reserves. 11 team league.
Crump in 2006 - 11.21  .. 11 team league (Heat 13 in operation)
Adams in 2008 - 11.04 ... 9 team league (Heat 13 in operation)

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

Hans Nielsen is the only rider I know of to manage a perfect 12.00 league average away from home during an entire season. He dropped a few races at home, though, bless him.

It was 1986. He finished with a league average of 11.83.

From what I remember, that year there was a small league and the League Cup took up half the season. His average in that was lower so it drops below Ivan's. In league alone, though, I'm pretty sure Hans in 1986 wins it.

From my memory Gundersen, Knudsen, Thorp, Blackbird,Shirra/Holloway, Ermolenko,were amongst only a few who beat him on merit at Cowley.His battles with Erik and Tommy were pretty special when prepared right Cowley was a half decent racetrack was never really a fan of it up until about 1984.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

From my memory Gundersen, Knudsen, Thorp, Blackbird,Shirra/Holloway, were amongst only a few who beat him on merit at Cowley.His battles with Erik and Tommy were pretty special when prepared right Cowley was a half decent racetrack was never really a fan of it up until about 1984.

Wasnt the deal that Nielsen put together with Oxford included a clause where he could "reshape" the track?!? Or is my memory playing mind games.?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W9 Lion said:

Wasnt the deal that Nielsen put together with Oxford included a clause where he could "reshape" the track?!? Or is my memory playing mind games.?

Good point Lion,    Steve Roberts could probably tell us the track certainly got better in my view.My first visit there was in the 1973 Supporters club trophy and then it looked a little run down but in the Nielsen era when the track was good with the new restaurant open it was a terrific night out.Then apart from Wimbledon which had an aura about it Oxford with that new restaurant was probably one of the most comfortable nights out at a league meeting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Agreed, although the big hitting Heat 13 wasn't in place for 88 and 89.

The other riders to achieve 11+ averages since no fixed gates and nominated riders races in place.

Ermolenko in 1993 with 11.12... this was a season where heat leaders didn't race reserves. 11 team league.
Crump in 2006 - 11.21  .. 11 team league (Heat 13 in operation)
Adams in 2008 - 11.04 ... 9 team league (Heat 13 in operation)

Remind me what the 'big hitting heat 13" was as I've totally forgotten? I'm assuming that number one's were pitted against each other?

20 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

From my memory Gundersen, Knudsen, Thorp, Blackbird,Shirra/Holloway, Ermolenko,were amongst only a few who beat him on merit at Cowley.His battles with Erik and Tommy were pretty special when prepared right Cowley was a half decent racetrack was never really a fan of it up until about 1984.

Hans when he signed for "The Cheetahs" in 1984 had the bends re-shaped to allow more passing opportunities going in and coming out of the bends...although he fence would come up very quickly on the exits as the track narrowed!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

I've just seen your post!

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Remind me what the 'big hitting heat 13" was as I've totally forgotten? I'm assuming that number one's were pitted against each other?

Top two from each side in vast majority of cases.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Good point Lion,    Steve Roberts could probably tell us the track certainly got better in my view.My first visit there was in the 1973 Supporters club trophy and then it looked a little run down but in the Nielsen era when the track was good with the new restaurant open it was a terrific night out.Then apart from Wimbledon which had an aura about it Oxford with that new restaurant was probably one of the most comfortable nights out at a league meeting.

...when the centre green (for want of a better term) was dire Sid. It was like a rubbish tip due to a Sunday Market and for a season when Banger Racing took place at Cowley...bits of car bodies all over the place!

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I'm pretty sure I remember Jimmy Nilsen beating him a couple of times. I remember the Carl Blackbird meeting. Didn't he beat Hans more than once? A remarkable meeting for Carl.

It shows how good Hans was, though, when you remember times he was actually beaten.