British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lurcher

highest avg rider

44 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I'm pretty sure I remember Jimmy Nilsen beating him a couple of times. I remember the Carl Blackbird meeting. Didn't he beat Hans more than once? A remarkable meeting for Carl.

It shows how good Hans was, though, when you remember times he was actually beaten.

All his stars were aligned that night! If I remember he beat Hans three (?) times including the Golden Helmet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I'm pretty sure I remember Jimmy Nilsen beating him a couple of times. I remember the Carl Blackbird meeting. Didn't he beat Hans more than once? A remarkable meeting for Carl.

It shows how good Hans was, though, when you remember times he was actually beaten.

Remember Blackbird beating him in the helmet he did beat him three times ??.  I  have a picture of Hans/Carl talking afterwards laughing and joking no bitterness from Hans he took defeat on the chin.

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...when the centre green (for want of a better term) was dire Sid. It was like a rubbish tip due to a Sunday Market and for a season when Banger Racing took place at Cowley...bits of car bodies all over the place!

I can remember those shed huts over the far side that sold memorabilia i was always spending shedloads there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Remember Blackbird beating him in the helmet he did beat him three times ??.  I  have a picture of Hans/Carl talking afterwards laughing and joking no bitterness from Hans he took defeat on the chin.

I think twice in the match and once in the Golden Helmet...all very surreal!

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Blackbird, Mark Courtney, Mel Taylor were all three riders who should of achieved more.

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Blackbird, Mark Courtney, Mel Taylor were all three riders who should of achieved more.

I particularly remember when a 16 year old Mel Taylor came onto the scene. There was a lot of talk of him being a star of the future.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I came back to the sport in 88 when the Aces moved to Kirky Lane and watched the first few matches as many riders (probably the majority), found the track somewhat tricky and more than a good few were 'all shapes' on occasions..

He smashed the track record in his first ride..

I remember he rode down the straights with his front wheel slightly off the ground for virtually the whole straight, before bringing it down to execute a perfect turn, never once locking up or finding unwanted drive, but riding every bend as if on rails..

One of those WOW moments some riders can give you..

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Actually, three, because of the Gold Sash.

Just put together the content for Issue 2 of the Oxford mag... but I think I might include a piece on Hans' BL record from 1984-1992 in the next issue.  In some years they are staggering - the 11.83 in  '86 and 11.73 in '87 (would have been 11.87 but for an e/f). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Melvyn Taylor was a favourite of mine...got stick from the Cowley faithfull when unbeknown to them was having a traumatic time with a seriusly ill wife.

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

Actually, three, because of the Gold Sash.

Just put together the content for Issue 2 of the Oxford mag... but I think I might include a piece on Hans' BL record from 1984-1992 in the next issue.  In some years they are staggering - the 11.83 in  '86 and 11.73 in '87 (would have been 11.87 but for an e/f). 

I acquired issue one...are the mags likely to be monthly and what's the best source to but them from Rob?

Edited by steve roberts

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I can remember those shed huts over the far side that sold memorabilia i was always spending shedloads there.

...or the shop above the pits tunnel?

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember that. And a food bar in the stand at the back straight.

21 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I acquired issue one...are the mags likely to be monthly and what's the best source to but them from Rob?

The Curtis Sport website.  Although don't look for Issue 2 quite yet - give it a week or so.  Yeah, hopefully monthly!

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I never really used that shop Steve don't know why, usually headed straight over the other side.I remember watching the Carter semi final meeting in 84 coming out of bend two for the only time.

Few differences with the older riders and those from last couple of decades.

Bonus points were included then and now not been for quite a few years, what year did that change?

With the older 13 heat format the top riders didn't face each other that often, seem to remember the number 1's only raced each other once in heat 1? Where as with the 15 heat format they face each other more often usually 3 times each meeting.

Gate positions, team mates could choose gate position each heat, what year did that change?