British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lurcher

highest avg rider

18 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Which is another reason I've always maintained Hans was even more impressive in 1987. He was riding for a struggling team, still recorded a 11.73 BL average, which would have been 11.87 but for a seized engine at Hackney in late October.

PS Two T/S rides for Nielsen for Oxford in the 1986 BL - at Cradley Heath and Reading. Oxford still won the two meetings 45-33 and 43-35.

Few could deny the Hans was probably the best in the World in1987.He did also finish up World Champion that year.

43 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Few could deny the Hans was probably the best in the World in1987.He did also finish up World Champion that year.

Anyone would be hard pressed to find a clearer World no1 in the late 80s as Hans Nielsen. Even though Gundersen pipped him for the World Title in 88 (he was great under pressure), Nielsen was still consistently better than Erik at that time. Gundersen seemed beatable and at times, no matter the track, Nielsen was unbeatable.

That said, in different circumstances, I would have loved to have seen Sigalos, Penhall, Carter, Lee, Sanders in the mix at that time too. The cream was notably thin at the top of world speedway then. Guys like Conny Ivarrson, Olli Tyrvainen, Troy Butler, even John Davis all made world finals, when in truth, they wouldn't have had a sniff 5-10 years prior.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Anyone would be hard pressed to find a clearer World no1 in the late 80s as Hans Nielsen. Even though Gundersen pipped him for the World Title in 88 (he was great under pressure), Nielsen was still consistently better than Erik at that time. Gundersen seemed beatable and at times, no matter the track, Nielsen was unbeatable.

That said, in different circumstances, I would have loved to have seen Sigalos, Penhall, Carter, Lee, Sanders in the mix at that time too. The cream was notably thin at the top of world speedway then. Guys like Conny Ivarrson, Olli Tyrvainen, Troy Butler, even John Davis all made world finals, when in truth, they wouldn't have had a sniff 5-10 years prior.

Your last point is totally spot on if those five named were still around that could of changed some part of history but that is how it goes.Going back to Erik one of the things that i admired about him was that he adjusted to the new tapes ruling ( something Lee never did).Erik had a nightmare with that new rule at first but conquered it which took a lot,  great rider Erik great temperment and had a great  personality to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, falcace said:

Didn’t John Davis make the world final that Michael Lee won?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tim G said:

Yes Lee beat him from the back in his last race to win the title in 1980.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim G said:

Of course and was a deserved finallist then and again in 1988.

My point is that the quality of top level opposition took a serious dip from the mid 80s onwards. John Davis reached the 1980 final in quite a tough era and fair play to him. And for many years after that didn't reach the final, because he just wasn't good enough. So when he got there again in 1988, it wasn't that he had become a better rider, it's because - for different reasons - a lot of world class riders fell by the wayside. 

Edited by falcace
  • Like 3

On 5/18/2020 at 7:37 PM, Grachan said:

That was in KO Cup matches I believe.

It also left him free towards the end of the meeting to be used as a TS if needed.

I went through my proggies and found the following (apologies for weird format, text editor issues):

Ivan Mauger At Hull With Exeter

22 May 1974, No.1, 11-4, 2nd to Beaton Ht 13, won 2nd half.

2 July 1975, No.1, 12-4, won 2nd half.

19 May 1976, No.4, 15-5, won 2nd half.  Uproar when in ht 13 following very competitive race with Bobby Beaton who fell, Ivan was not excluded, re-run 3 only, fisticuffs between Ian Thomas & Wally Mawdsley.

24 Aug 1977, No.4, postponed.

28 Sept 1977, No.3, 10+1-4, Ht4 3rd to Mitch Graham & Mike Farrell, won 2nd half.

So in addition to No.1 Ivan often rode at nos.3 & 4, not no.5 as I thought but he did ok at Hull....

Edited by martinmauger
Tidied up slightly, corrected info
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 3:02 PM, martinmauger said:

I went through my proggies and found the following (apologies for weird format, text editor issues):

19 May 1976, No.4, 15-5, won 2nd half.  Uproar when in ht 13 following very competitive race with Bobby Beaton who fell, Ivan was not excluded, re-run 3 only, fisticuffs between Ian Thomas & Wally Mawdsley.

28 Sept 1977, No.3, 10+1-4, Ht4 3rd to Mitch Graham & Mike Farrell, won 2nd half.

So in addition to No.1 Ivan often rode at nos.3 & 4, not no.5 as I thought but he did ok at Hull....

Phil Crump recorded a phenomenal 1975 average of 11.17 and 23 maximums despite riding at number five therefore programmed to meet the opposiition number one at least twice during a 13 heat fixture.

Edited by steve roberts

On 5/13/2020 at 8:31 PM, Baldyman said:

Anders Michanek,,, 11.36 is the highest I've found 

...and was favourite to win the World Championship that season after dominating both the domestic and international scene. However a pointless first ride proved costly but if GPs had been in place during that period he may well have been given a second chance which is why winning a one-off World Final was not as straight forward, or indeed easier, as some would have us believe. However both disciplines require different approaches and therefore very difficult comparing one with the other in my view.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2020 at 3:02 PM, martinmauger said:

Exeter did put Ivan at number two for tactical reasons as well.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 1:36 PM, falcace said:

In all of those remarkable Nielsen seasons it has to be remembered that he never just chased the win and would team rider whenever he had the opportunity. Not only a the best no.1 in the 80s but also the best team man. He made very average riders look like world beaters.  

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:48 AM, Triple.H. said:

Ron Preston was a rider who i thought had a big future in the sport

Ron Preston had it all. He could gate, inside, outside he was a complete rider.

He signed for Eastbourne and I didn't expect too much from him, he had a slow start and went back to America for a knee brace.

After that he was virtually unbeatable for Eastbourne, pushing both Gordon Kennett and Kelly Moran for the number one spot.

I remember going up to Reading, we never did well there, Ron dominated the meeting getting 14 for an unexpected away win.

He never rode in Europe after the season he had with Eastbourne, I think he was a world champion in waiting, that knee injury stopped it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedOx69 said:

In all of those remarkable Nielsen seasons it has to be remembered that he never just chased the win and would team rider whenever he had the opportunity. Not only a the best no.1 in the 80s but also the best team man. He made very average riders look like world beaters.  

Agree 100%.

1 hour ago, M.D said:

Ron Preston had it all. He could gate, inside, outside he was a complete rider.

He signed for Eastbourne and I didn't expect too much from him, he had a slow start and went back to America for a knee brace.

After that he was virtually unbeatable for Eastbourne, pushing both Gordon Kennett and Kelly Moran for the number one spot.

I remember going up to Reading, we never did well there, Ron dominated the meeting getting 14 for an unexpected away win.

He never rode in Europe after the season he had with Eastbourne, I think he was a world champion in waiting, that knee injury stopped it.

A crying shame that Eastbourne didn't achieve any success with such an outstanding heat leader trio. Paul Woods gave good support but beyond that a very weak tail. Of course by the following season all three had left Arlington!

12 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...and was favourite to win the World Championship that season after dominating both the domestic and international scene. However a pointless first ride proved costly but if GPs had been in place during that period he may well have been given a second chance which is why winning a one-off World Final was not as straight forward, or indeed easier, as some would have us believe. However both disciplines require different approaches and therefore very difficult comparing one with the other in my view.

I think the GP series is EASIER to win if you are the best rider in the world (maybe even top 2) because it reduces elements of luck, or the impact of one bad ride.

For anyone else, the one off world final was easier to win, as it required doing just enough to get through qualifying rounds, then 5 good rides on the big night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1