British Speedway Forum

Really enjoyed the second meeting after the shambles from Rybnik. Good first effort from Gorzow without NKI against easily the strongest side again. When Zmarzlik gets going I think Gorzow will have a decent season. I thought Thomsen acquitted himself well and Wozniak as ever is a strong road block if he can gate. KK just same old frustrating KK. Leszno again going to be tough to beat. Emil and Piotr so strong with great backup (generally) from Kolodziej and then the bundles of improvement still to come from Kubera, Kurtz and Smektala. Personally don't mind there being no crowd as I'm only really interested in the quality of racing. Anyone saying this is on a similar level to Britain needs to give their head a considerable shake.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Presume these long gaps between races are to give the crowd time to get plenty of food and drink?:rolleyes:

As with Sky/BT meetings here in the past, there are gaps for commercial breaks, interviews and studio discussions, none of which are included in the clean feed for obvious reasons. 

As you said, Dave could do with a co- commentator to bounce discussions off of.

36 minutes ago, mikebv said:

One thing that is noticeable over the past few days of watching, is just how important that crowd participation is..

There has been some great racing from the likes of Woofy and Smarzlik which, with a big crowd in attendance, would have 'raised the roof' of the stadium..

However, with no one there to watch, even that incredible standard of racing can become a bit 'meh'....

Hopefully members of the BSPL are watching, and some of them may see the similarity between those swathes of empty seats on show and how many parts of their stadiums resemble the same when British Speedway is shown live..

Maybe, when racing and normality returns, they will do all they can, and use any means necessary, to pack out their stadiums when on live TV.

Hopefully to paint the sport in a positive light to any watching non, or lapsed, speedway fans..

I always thought the promoters missed a trick when Sky first started to show live speedway, when they could have allowed fans in for free or a nominal fee, to get crowd levels up and make a spectacle for the cameras.

You could cover the loss in takings by attracting a match sponsor and allow them basically free reign to plug their business in return. Give them hospitality, give them plenty of exposure to the live crowd and allow them a couple of spots on the TV, take part in the coin toss / award the rider of the night in front of the cameras, so they get their money's worth.

Keep the newbies entertained between races with quizzes giving away free tickets to future matches to get them back again, plenty of interviews with riders / managers / crowd. 

It might work, who knows. It's worth a try surely?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

I always thought the promoters missed a trick when Sky first started to show live speedway, when they could have allowed fans in for free or a nominal fee, to get crowd levels up and make a spectacle for the cameras.

You could cover the loss in takings by attracting a match sponsor and allow them basically free reign to plug their business in return. Give them hospitality, give them plenty of exposure to the live crowd and allow them a couple of spots on the TV, take part in the coin toss / award the rider of the night in front of the cameras, so they get their money's worth.

Keep the newbies entertained between races with quizzes giving away free tickets to future matches to get them back again, plenty of interviews with riders / managers / crowd. 

It might work, who knows. It's worth a try surely?

Sky strictly controlled what could and what could not be advertised. One of the rules was that you couldn’t bring a new sponsor in just for a tv meeting. Or even plug an existing one too much.
I seem to recall a discussions between the floor manager and the Poole promoter about the number and visibility of the A-frames on the centre green.

Maybe Discovery/Eurosport will be less demanding. 

• Like 1

Anybody that is hoping to record tomorrow’s meetings on Sky, be mindful that currently the listing still shows that the match isn’t on. It may get updated tomorrow or you may need to just record what is on at the time and hope for the best!

Tonight we have the re scheduled round 1 match Czestochowa v Grudziadz Programme starts 7pm UK time 1st race 7.30pm Eleven Sport 1 and Premier Sport  1( 7.30)

Links

http://www.maniak.tv/mk1

http://www.drhtv.com.pl/drhtv-1.html

https://daddylive.live/embed/stream-71.php

Downloadable score chart Czestochowa  https://wetransfer.com/downloads/8612e4a7820f5c8e4e2b006c58fa8aa720200612065602/1541f9?fbclid=IwAR1qrZ7cXWBMQ_7XuSZRiIwqQAc9ADr8q6AWMmqInLfdXcahd4qfoSc6ZQ4     pages 6 and 7

Edited by racers and royals
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Najjer said:

Anybody that is hoping to record tomorrow’s meetings on Sky, be mindful that currently the listing still shows that the match isn’t on. It may get updated tomorrow or you may need to just record what is on at the time and hope for the best!

SKY planner updated - live 7.30pm Premier Sport 1

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Sky strictly controlled what could and what could not be advertised. One of the rules was that you couldn’t bring a new sponsor in just for a tv meeting. Or even plug an existing one too much.
I seem to recall a discussions between the floor manager and the Poole promoter about the number and visibility of the A-frames on the centre green.

Maybe Discovery/Eurosport will be less demanding. 

Ah i see, i did wonder if something like that was in place, as tv companies often want to protect their own sponsors. Cheers for that.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, emilali said:

Really enjoyed the second meeting after the shambles from Rybnik. Good first effort from Gorzow without NKI against easily the strongest side again. When Zmarzlik gets going I think Gorzow will have a decent season. I thought Thomsen acquitted himself well and Wozniak as ever is a strong road block if he can gate. KK just same old frustrating KK. Leszno again going to be tough to beat. Emil and Piotr so strong with great backup (generally) from Kolodziej and then the bundles of improvement still to come from Kubera, Kurtz and Smektala. Personally don't mind there being no crowd as I'm only really interested in the quality of racing. Anyone saying this is on a similar level to Britain needs to give their head a considerable shake.

The quality of racing and general meeting progression, well as a man who attends BV each week.....it was worse.

And I also believe, so far this weekend, that I have seen better meetings run in more timely fashion across the UK. 

Equally imo, anyone who fails to see that should also ‘give their head a considerable shake’.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HenryW said:

As with Sky/BT meetings here in the past, there are gaps for commercial breaks, interviews and studio discussions, none of which are included in the clean feed for obvious reasons. 

As you said, Dave could do with a co- commentator to bounce discussions off of.

I watched the Polish stream and whilst I didn’t understand a word of it, the gaps in racing still felt considerably longer.

Britain has it right with the re run rule and riders not being allowed back into the pits. Yesterday that had a huge impact on the flow of the meeting in Rybnik.

The 2nd meeting was better, but there was still far too many grading breaks and they went on too long.

Im only pointing out what I see, because if this was here, we’d be getting slandered from our own and the hypocrisy needs highlighting. In fact we get some people suggesting heads need shaking for daring to point out what was blindingly obvious.

This is no comparison, however, because Poland are miles ahead in so many other aspects, but that doesn’t mean we can’t point out the failings when they happen because Christ knows we’d do it here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Agree ,but I think in Poland the refs seem to like to see them level for about the 1st 10 mtrs or they call them back.

I’m hoping that was just a bit of rustiness. I watched pretty much all of last seasons Extraleague and I can’t recall a set of meetings with so many pull backs.

Perhaps something has changed in the off season and referees are being asked to officiate with more severity.

Early days of course but pretty underwhelmed with what I’ve seen so far, team strengths seem to vary considerably particularly at reserve. Some better racing at Gorzow but generally it’s been quite FTG thus far. Add to that Premier Sports/Sky not being able to get their act together with the recordings, both meeting yesterday missed several heats. Glad it’s free and I’m not paying! 

Great to see Robert looking so fast and aggressive, long may that continue. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Najjer said:

I recorded this afternoons match and just watched it back now. Sadly the first heat was missed and then because of the delays during the meeting, the recording cut off 4 heats from the end. A bit of a shame but have a word if you can ;) 

14 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

The commentators knowledge of speedway is minimal to say the least .  

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

Presume these long gaps between races are to give the crowd time to get plenty of food and drink?:rolleyes:

Seriously though, Dave G is doing a very good job at keeping things flowing but he could do with a co commentator to fill in some of the 'dead air' by discussing the racing..

Scott Nicholls would be worth a seat next to him..

Edit: Two meters apart obviously....

Well, I've watched my first 3 PPV matches on Premier Sport and I must say, while I'm more than happy to have some "Live" Speedway to watch, I'm less than happy with the coverage. It reminds me very much of how Eurosport used to be, bordering on amateurish, I wonder if this will be the shape of things to come when/if the British League gets underway on that channel.

I know the commentator is active on here so I'll not be too critical but he really needs a co-commentator to work with as even just reading tweets out during the breaks leaves him with nowhere to go other than silence. You'd think that Premier Sport would have taken in enough extra subscription money to warrant a co-commentator. I also realise there were no adverts in any of the matches over the weekend, so surely that's even more reason for a co-commentator. The commentator doesn't seem to have done his homework on the intricacies of the Polish League either, with lack of knowledge of the helmet covers, league points, tacticals, rider numbering (what's that all about!!) etc.

He's certainly more knowledgeable than that 5-1er, 3-3er guy they were using last year for some matches but I do feel he doesn't inject much excitement into his commentary, sounds more like a cricket commentary... but that's just my personal preference/opinion.

Missing heat 1 of the 1st match yesterday while they're playing promos is amateurish and unforgivable.

Having watched some of the Free Sport output last year I've become well used to not seeing the last few heats of a meeting, so I was well prepared for it and recorded the whole channel for the night!

As things stand I can't see myself renewing my subscription beyond this season should live British Speedway resume next year.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

For those watching on Premier sport i mentioned the other day that they are switching between channel 1 and 2 with the odd Freesports thrown in for good measure. this is the latest scheduling i can see. Not sure why 2 of the best matches in the rounds( Sunday 2nd matches) are not live !!!

Monday June 15th Czestochowa v Grudziadz programme starts 7pm 1st race  7.30pm Eleven Sport 1 and Premier Sport 1

Friday June 19th Grudziadz v Rybnik programme starts 4.30pm 1st race  5pm Eleven Sport 1 and  Free Sports

Friday June 19th Leszno v Wroclaw programme starts 7.15pm 1st race  7.30pm Eleven Sport 1 and Premier Sport 1

Sunday June 21st Lublin v Gorzow programme starts 3pm 1st race 3.30pm N Sport and premier Sport 2 

Sunday June 21st Zielona Gora v Czestochowa programme starts 5.45pm 1st race 6.15pm N Sport and premier Sport  1( delayed ?) 12.45am Monday ??

Friday June 26th  Leszno v Lublin programme starts 4.30pm 1st race 5pm Eleven Sport 1 and Freesports

Friday June 26th Zielona Gora v Grudziadz programme starts 7.15pm 1st race 7.30pm eleven Sport 1 and Premier Sport 2 

Sunday June 28th Rybnik v Gorzow programme starts 3pm 1st race 3.30pm N Sport and Premier Sport 2

Sunday June 28th Czestochowa v Wroclaw  programme starts 5.45pm 1st race 6.15pm N Sport and Premier Sport( delayed )  ???

Edited by racers and royals

2 hours ago, acef said:

The quality of racing and general meeting progression, well as a man who attends BV each week.....it was worse.

And I also believe, so far this weekend, that I have seen better meetings run in more timely fashion across the UK. 

Equally imo, anyone who fails to see that should also ‘give their head a considerable shake’.

Are the numbers of track staff reduced or have to work different to normal because of Coronavirus rules ?