British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Without the crowd there definitely does need to be an injection of enthusiasm by the commentator to keep the races 'interesting' and that isn't his natural style. (Unlike some).:o

It must though be very hard to have 'reading out tweets' as your default go to process to fill dead air and I think he does a fair old job overall given the logistics of following the racing like we do, via a screen..

Especially with so much of the dead air due to zero adverts,..

Presumably they do have them but all will be in Polish so they just show replays of races on the Premier feed?.

And having watched plenty of NSPORT and Eleven Sports they do like a long advert break, (to pay for the racing coverage I would imagine)..

Still, racing is back, and we get to watch the very best in the world, with the rest of the 'package' I am sure being tweaked as we go along, and even if it isn't, it is still great to have Speedway back..

Can't wait for the next installment tonight...

I sympathise greatly with Dave having to fill in those large gaps without live action. At least it's better than in Sweden where he only had a locked-off wide-angled picture to support him during the many breaks. It's a shane that the interviews conducted in English couldn't be included on the international feed but then there are long sequences as the presenter translates from English. 

Premier Sports are obviously working to a very tight budget. Thankfully Dave has the resourcefulness to make it work. There is only so much that you can do and bear in mind I think this is is first foray into Polish speedway with his stock car commitments having clashed with Premier's previous Polish coverage. It's hard enough commentating remotely off a screen without having huge gaps to fill...alone. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Something tells me Miedzinski won't be getting a second chance....Will Batchelor? There's too much money at stake to allow Rybnik to flounder all season. 

The Rybnik punters are calling for Siergiej Logaczov to be given a chance- decent on his day- Problem for Rybnik is another Pole is needed  to go with Woryna in the top 5- maybe Lambert will remain at 8 but used from the get go.

It's going to take more than Logachev though, isn't it?

Heat 7 at Gorzow was brilliant.   No quarter asked or given and the commentator sounded like he was giving birth with excitement.

Bartoz could have binned it but to be credit stayed on the bike and still got the win.

• Like 3

Just now, RobMcCaffery said:

It's going to take more than Logachev though, isn't it?

Getting Geira back at 6/7 should help, however they are weak and very much the whipping boys. Obviously Hancock`s retirement didn`t help them.

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Heat 7 at Gorzow was brilliant.   No quarter asked or given and the commentator sounded like he was giving birth with excitement.

Bartoz could have binned it but to be credit stayed on the bike and still got the win.

Good enough to watch again 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mark said:

And his reaction after the race too was an indicator of a high level of maturity...

(Of course it may have helped that he won. .:D)

Polish commentators make more noise than any team of two.     It adds to the speedway.

Great commentary that Polish version.  Didn't need to know what they were saying. :t:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acef said:

The quality of racing and general meeting progression, well as a man who attends BV each week.....it was worse.

And I also believe, so far this weekend, that I have seen better meetings run in more timely fashion across the UK. 

Equally imo, anyone who fails to see that should also ‘give their head a considerable shake’.

You are lucky then if you get to watch BV every week as its the best track in this country by a million miles. However, for me, I prefer watching the worlds best riders riding at 110% every week in Poland not just seeing journeymen going through the motions or James Sargent breaking the tapes 4 times per meeting. Would be boring if everyone liked and wanted the same thing I suppose. 

Can I assume you didn't enjoy heat 7 from Gorzow ?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, emilali said:

You are lucky then if you get to watch BV every week as its the best track in this country by a million miles. However, for me, I prefer watching the worlds best riders riding at 110% every week in Poland not just seeing journeymen going through the motions or James Sargent breaking the tapes 4 times per meeting. Would be boring if everyone liked and wanted the same thing I suppose. 

Can I assume you didn't enjoy heat 7 from Gorzow ?

I think you have somewhat misunderstood what I have said. The general package in Poland is so much better, I absolutely don’t dispute that. As a tv experience with full crowds or being in Poland watching, which I have, it is an entirely different experience. A better one.

However that shouldn’t discredit what we have here. If you remove everything by the side and just concentrate on the actual speedway, there are tracks and certain meetings in the UK which offer entertainment to the equal. Belle Vue is an excellent track, one of the best in the world, but so is Peterborough. So is Somerset. So is Scunthorpe. So is Glasgow. Kings Lynn has great potential but is unfortunately prepared for his main money stream, stock cars. Poole is also a great shape and I have seen some brilliant speedway there, it’s just badly prepped.

Your above post is a good summary of exactly what is wrong with the British fan. This need to divide and conquer is a really sad state of affairs. It removes ones ability to enjoy something which can be good because everyone else says you can’t.

Can you assume I didn’t enjoy heat 7? Absolutely not, because it was one hell of a race and I said as much in this very thread.

Stop being so down on the positive elements of British Speedway. A large chunk is indeed a mess, but parts are still excellent and I feel for those who cannot see the wood for the trees.

Edit: Throw in Swindon as well, which is a cracking little track now. Really nice shape to it, rides like a bigger track and is well prepared. I’d have no issue riding that every week. 

Edited by acef
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Are the numbers of track staff reduced or have to work different to normal because of Coronavirus rules ? 

Couldn’t tell you Mark. It may well have had something to do with it.

Its not normally as bad as that in Poland and I suspect no crowds was probably the bigger influencer. It was quite dusty in Gorzow being fairly warm so can understand the need to grade. That said I’ve been to roasting hot bank holiday fixtures at the NSS, mid day, where the track was just brilliant with no dust, great racing and all wrapped up in around an hour to get back down to Wolves.

5 minutes ago, acef said:

I think you have somewhat misunderstood what I have said. The general package in Poland is so much better, I absolutely don’t dispute that. As a tv experience with full crowds or being in Poland watching, which I have, it is an entirely different experience. A better one.

However that shouldn’t discredit what we have here. If you remove everything by the side and just concentrate on the actual speedway, there are tracks and certain meetings in the UK which offer entertainment to the equal. Belle Vue is an excellent track, one of the best in the world, but so is Peterborough. So is Somerset. So is Scunthorpe. So is Glasgow. Kings Lynn has great potential but is unfortunately prepared for his main money stream, stock cars. Poole is also a great shape and I have seen some brilliant speedway there, it’s badly prepped.

Your above post is a good summary of exactly what is wrong with the British fan. This need to divide and conquer is a really sad state of affairs. It removes ones ability to enjoy something which can be good because everyone else says you can’t.

Can you assume I didn’t enjoy heat 7? Absolutely not, because it was one hell of a race and I said as much in this very thread.

Stop being so down on the positive elements of British Speedway. A large chunk is indeed a mess, but parts are still excellent and I feel for those who cannot see the wood for the trees.

I fully understood what you said. You said 'The quality of racing and general meeting progression, well as a man who attends BV each week.....it was worse'. 

Whilst I agree the meeting from Rybnik was rubbish (alot to do with the weakness of their team) the Gorzow meeting for the first of the campaign was excellent. You"d never get to see BZ and Pawlicki going head to head like that in the UK and as I said that's what I like. 

In this country the promoters generally just take fans for mugs. Unannounced riders missing or riders that cant be bothered or just shouldnt even be riding speedway in the first place. Also, look how weak the product here is now. The elite league is just a glorified premier league these days but tracks charge £17-20 for the privilege of watching and expect fans to be grateful.

The only track I've paid to go and watch in the UK in the last 5 years has been BV which is fantastic so I do understand why you enjoy watching speedway there every week. 

1 minute ago, emilali said:

I fully understood what you said. You said 'The quality of racing and general meeting progression, well as a man who attends BV each week.....it was worse'. 

Whilst I agree the meeting from Rybnik was rubbish (alot to do with the weakness of their team) the Gorzow meeting for the first of the campaign was excellent. You"d never get to see BZ and Pawlicki going head to head like that in the UK and as I said that's what I like. 

In this country the promoters generally just take fans for mugs. Unannounced riders missing or riders that cant be bothered or just shouldnt even be riding speedway in the first place. Also, look how weak the product here is now. The elite league is just a glorified premier league these days but tracks charge £17-20 for the privilege of watching and expect fans to be grateful.

The only track I've paid to go and watch in the UK in the last 5 years has been BV which is fantastic so I do understand why you enjoy watching speedway there every week. 

What does it matter who the people are in providing such quality entertainment?

Im not really arsed if the race is between two top polish riders or two top British riders. If the end result is excellent racing, why does that even enter your debate? It makes no sense to me.

Im well aware of what the product offers in England and I have acknowledged this. What I’m asking you to do is remove the fluff and just focus on the quality of racing. That is my argument here and you don’t seem to be doing that.

I have listed a number of UK tracks that produce good quality speedway so I can’t buy into the thought train that ‘we’d never see it here’, because we do. Clearly. I’m not interested in the who, I’m interested in the what.

The quality of the actual speedway racing really isn’t much different as I see it. Yes, there are rap tracks in the UK, not going to argue that. My point is there are also good ones.

Think I've caught up with everything now.  Zmarzlik definitely didn't have his gating gloves on and the Leszno points accumulating machine continues sadly.  Lambert was impressive for Rybnik but they are in for a long season.