British Speedway Forum

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

Poland could do with attracting more followers of 50+ years of age..

It's a funny feeling at my age...I'm under 60, so in Britain I leave a speedway stadium feeling like the new kid on the block. Yet when I leave a Polish stadium I feel like I'm the oldest swinger in town.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yes all makes perfect sense, somebody should show Emil this as he's spelling his own name incorrectly on his own website and socials and Antonio, surely if that's how they spell their name that's how they spell their name... it's like my name is actually Raymond Luxury-Yacht but pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove :D

Only 2 of the 8 rounds are at Gorzow though... he's not shown much elsewhere

Hmm... remains to be seen if this will actually happen, can see a few teams who may think the likes of Holder, Lidsey & Lambert will be riding on false averages after having particularly good years while some other riders haven't even turned a wheel.

I know this sounds crazy now but this is Speedway we're talking about but I can imagine a time in the future where riders riding on dual passports will be doubling up for multiple countries

SSmarzlik hasn't shown much away from Gorzow this year for me, he's up there in the stats, but only because he's unbeatable around his home track

Be doubtful if Lidsey,Lambert& Holder will bother with GB next year IMO given their progress in Poland.IMO.

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Be doubtful if Lidsey,Lambert& Holder will bother with GB next year IMO given their progress in Poland.IMO.

We'll see... if they don't there goes the same 1-7's as this year. If they have been given a signing on fee for the 2020 season, they may not want to pay this back and that maybe a reasonfor them to stay

1 minute ago, iainb said:

We'll see... if they don't there goes the same 1-7's as this year. If they have been given a signing on fee for the 2020 season, they may not want to pay this back and that maybe a reasonfor them to stay

Think a lot depend if things returned to normality in the sport( hard to say).Polish money might rise again which might also influence their decisions.

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Think a lot depend if things returned to normality in the sport( hard to say).Polish money might rise again which might also influence their decisions.

BSPL seem pretty confident that it'll be the same 1-7's next year though... I can see this one turning sour, we know there's no loyalty in the game

48 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

It's a funny feeling at my age...I'm under 60, so in Britain I leave a speedway stadium feeling like the new kid on the block. Yet when I leave a Polish stadium I feel like I'm the oldest swinger in town.

When I was a regular at the tracks as a 40 something male, I was often the only one there who didnt "remember when this was all fields"....:D

The Extraleague have just announced TV matches for round 13- all UK times

Friday September 4th Grudziadz v Lublin Eleven Sports 1 start time 5pm

Friday September 4th Czestochowa v Rybnik Eleven Sports 1 start time 7.30pm

Sunday September 6th Wroclaw v Gorzow N Sport start time 3.30pm

Sunday September 6th Zielona Gora v Leszno N Sport start time 6.15pm

Friday`s teams

Czestochowa v Gorzow

Czestochowa

9 Holta

10 Doyle

11 Lindgren

12 Przedpelski

13 Madsen

14 Swidnicki

15 Miskowiak

Gorzow 

1 Wozniak

2 Kasprzak

3 Thomsen

4 Zmarzlik

5 NKI- R/R(ZZ)

6 Karczmarz

7 Jasinski

Leszno v Grudziadz

Leszno 

9 Sayfutdinov

10 Kolodziej

11 Smektala

12 Lidsey

13 Piotr Pawlicki

14 Szlauderbach

15 Kubera

Grudziadz

1 Pedersen

2 Buczkowski

3 Bjerre

4 Prem Pawlicki

5 A Laguta

6 Lotarski

7 Zielinski

Edited by racers and royals

12 hours ago, HenryW said:

Sorry R+R, wildly drifting off topic on a well maintained thread, but it's a subject that interests me ;)

Виктор would be the Russian equivalent of Victor/Wiktor.

Latvian is the only official language in Latvia, something that has caused some problems/criticisms from the Russian speaking population in the South.
From his online presence, it seems that the rider in question spells his name Andžejs Lebedevs, but the most visible and prominent thing on the back of his kevlars recently has just been "AnJ" ;)

Most transliterators I have used have taken a name starting with H to the cyrilic Х, which fits with the way that you pronounce the names of Cities like Ха́рьков or Хаба́ровск...And yet in English those get turned into Kharkov and Khabarovsk...I've never really understood how/why the "K" got involved there :unsure:

I always enjoy seeing an online transliteration of a name that has gone from latin to cyrilic and back again but using different rules in each direction. You can end up with some strange results...

A simple example is the main speedway City of Russia, Тольятти, which depending on the transliterator used will probably give you Tolyatti, Toljatti or some other similar variant.
The City was named after Palmiro Togliatti, so it should really come back to Togliatti, but the transliteration rules going in each direction pretty much make it impossible for that to happen.

That's always been a translation that amused me...
It ultimately makes sense, but the alternative meaning in English makes it amusing...

Probably the more relevant question about those letters is why English still has them. They are completely worthless and could be replaced by others in almost all cases where they are used.

Anyway, to get back on topic, the current top 4 in the Ekstraliga seem like they should stay the top 4 for the playoffs if my predictions for results in the last 4 rounds are accurate.

Given the fact that I regularly lose when betting on speedway, it's probably safe to say my predictions are worthless :rofl:

Many thanks Henry. Always good to encounter intelligent life. I had chosen to avoid terms such as 'diacritical marks' to avoid head explosions. The translation from Latin to Cyrillic and back reminds me of the fun to be had from translating a block of English text into another language in Google Translate and back. The results can be excellent for breaking the ice at parties. 

I do recall Lebedev being on his 2019 kevlars. Obviously time's moved on. 

I believe the survival of letters such as q, x and z in English is to maintain the sales of Scrabble. 

Regarding the Ekstaliga, Leszno and Zielona Gora look certainties.

Lublin have tough home matches against Czestochowa and Zielona Gora but aways at Rybnik and Grudziadz. If their spirit and Zagar's form hold the cherry picker hires should continue to the end of September...

Czestochowa have Rybnik and Gorzow at home but Leszno and Lublin away. If they can reverse their latest run they still stand a good chance. 

Wroclaw only have one home match left, against Gorzow so it's their away matches that will determine their chances. These are at Grudziadz, Rybnilk and Zielona Gora so there are points there to be taken. 

Gorzow's last place was a false position given their lack of home matches. Their last aways are Czestochowa and Wroclaw. I don't see them ,making it even if they're on a winning run at home. 

Likewise Grudziadz have a tough final four, Lublin and Wroclaw at home and Leszno and Gorzow away. I don't see them making it either.

I go for Leszno, Zielona Gora, Lublin and Wroclaw, depending on those winnable away matches. Even Zielona have had their 'moments' at home. 

I also don't win at gambling, mainly because all I go in for is the National Lottery. Seen too many wealthy bookies ;)

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Wery good idea..

Vell said..

;)

I was just answering a question....

Apologies, discussion closed on my side. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

Please would someone kindly explain to me how a rider can be in both heats 14 & 15. I thought it was when a team was 6 points behind then a tactical could be used but apparently not. In the Gorzow/Lublin match on 9/8/20 Laguta was used in both races when his team were only 4 points in arrears going into heat 15.

22 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Please would someone kindly explain to me how a rider can be in both heats 14 & 15. I thought it was when a team was 6 points behind then a tactical could be used but apparently not. In the Gorzow/Lublin match on 9/8/20 Laguta was used in both races when his team were only 4 points in arrears going into heat 15.

8 down not 4 down https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/relacja/104564/moje-bermudy-stal-gorzow-motor-lublin

Edit nominated as his own ride in 15 and tac sub in 14- Nominations are done before heat 14 for both 14 and 15.

Edited by racers and royals

On 8/17/2020 at 11:46 PM, Falubaz said:

Actually looking at Slavic languages most of them use Cyrillic. We don't coz of Christianisation of Poland. In 966 Poland officially overthrew paganism and became Catholic and to stress it out even more our King decided that we should use Roman alphabet instead. 

Besides although we are missing v, x and q we have ą, ć, ę, ł, ó, ś, ź and ż. Additionally we have clusters of few letters that are pronounced like a single sound for example: dż, drz, dzi, sz, cz etc. so if you don't know the rules you might get overwhelmed by all those consonants :)

This is from classic Polish comedy and it shows how speakers of germanic languages can struggle :)

That's nothing compared to Hungarian ;)

A UK Sky News reporter once disgraced herself by reporting from Red Square in Moscow that the Russians used the Acrylic script. 

Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, parts of former Yugoslavia all use Latin, although the Magyars are not Slavic. 

Definitely last post on this although how can how you write and pronounce Polish riders' names actually be off-topic?  ;)

Edited by RobMcCaffery

On 8/18/2020 at 5:21 PM, racers and royals said:

8 down not 4 down https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/relacja/104564/moje-bermudy-stal-gorzow-motor-lublin

Edit nominated as his own ride in 15 and tac sub in 14- Nominations are done before heat 14 for both 14 and 15.

Thank you for your info. Still think it's unfair to use a TS when you are only 4 points behind.