British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, Dave Goddard said:

As I've said on social media, I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who watched along and stuck with me through what's been a tough and really confusing season, and I'm sorry my commentary wasn't much good for a lot of it. I am pretty certain about half of the Polish meetings were postponed and rearranged for various oddball reasons which led to a somewhat farcical season at times, and that plus not being at trackside and having only limited information (particularly from Sweden) made for a trying experience. Thanks to all who have offered words of encouragement and have messaged in during broadcasts, and thanks to everyone who tuned in at any time. Congratulations to Unia Leszno and Masarna on their league wins.

No one is perfect and we should never expect that on live comms.   The meetings I saw were good, well done.   The occasional moments of confusion added to the meeting.  :D

3 hours ago, Dave Goddard said:

As I've said on social media, I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who watched along and stuck with me through what's been a tough and really confusing season, and I'm sorry my commentary wasn't much good for a lot of it. I am pretty certain about half of the Polish meetings were postponed and rearranged for various oddball reasons which led to a somewhat farcical season at times, and that plus not being at trackside and having only limited information (particularly from Sweden) made for a trying experience. Thanks to all who have offered words of encouragement and have messaged in during broadcasts, and thanks to everyone who tuned in at any time. Congratulations to Unia Leszno and Masarna on their league wins.

Dave, you did fine, exceptionally in view of the lack of information available to you. Don't be discouraged, your style is engaging and thankfully lacking in hype. You have the knowledge, experience and enthusiasm for your subject that makes your commentary excellent company for a few hours. 

I've got a few stock car meetings on my Tivo to work through as well. As someone who tackled both speedway and stock car commentary I'm envious that you can be equally commanding in both sports.

When it comes to commentary there's a lot of jealousy out there. 

It's been a tricky year. Enjoy your break and I look forward to hearing from you next spring. I do hope the bits of information I passed on were helpful. 

It's good to have someone on the mic who speaks the same language as the supporter.

Thanlks,

Rob. 

• Like 1

Rafal Karczmarz confirmed for Gorzow. Which should complete the 2021 septet.

Bartek Zmarzlik, Martin Vaculik, Anders Thomsen, Szymon Wozniak, Rafal Karczmarz (U24), Jasinski & Nowacki as the juniors.

9 hours ago, Dave Goddard said:

Been great to watch so much Speedway Dave..

Commentary fine and any 'confusion' when faced with changes you had no access to was always met with the right amount of self depreciation and humour...

Not been the most fantastic racing ever in the Polish and Swedish leagues, which could possibly be down to a lack of crowds in Poland, and less quality on show than usual in Sweden, but overall there has been more than enough to keep the viewers interested...

Well done on putting a fair old shift in too with all the rearranged, short notice fixture changes, meaning some weeks it seemed there was racing every night and sometimes twice a night during those weeks..

As said previously on here, in an ideal world you would have a co commentator to share some of the commentary, as it must be very difficult to be the only one constantly talking for a couple of hours..

Overall though, for me, I have enjoyed the summers racing, and the broadcasts that showed it, and considering 'no Speedway' could have been a possibility, ironically I don't think I have ever watched more...!

Keep up the good work, and here's to next year and more of the same..

• Like 3

My top 20 riders in The PEL were as follows:-

01-A.Laguta-Grudiadz-1080

02-B.Zmarzlik-Gorzow-1070

03-E.Sayfutdinov-Lesno-1020

04-G.Laguta-Lublin-1000

05-M.Vaculik-Zielna Gora-950

06-L.Madsen-Czestochowa-945

07-A.Thomsen-Gorzow-940

08-M.Janowski-Wroclaw-935

09-T.Woffinden-Wroclaw-920

10-N.Pedersen-Grudiadz-910

11-R.Lambert-Rybnik-890

12-M.Zagar-Lublin-840

13-J.Holder-Gorzow-830

14-P.Pawlicki-Lesno-825

15-K.Bjerre-Grudziadz-820

16-F.Lindgren-Czestcchowa-800

17-J.Hampel-Lublin-785

18-M.Michelsen-Lublin-780

19-P.Dudek-Zielna Gora-775

20-C.Holder-Wroclaw-750

Not knowing where the offers came from, I wasn't sure where to put this post, but thought this was the best place even though it was probably lower leagues in Poland.

COOK TURNED DOWN POLISH OFFERS (speedwaygp.com)

Wow! Just Wow!

I guess I might be reading this differently from what Craig intended, but it reads like he was made offers but decided that he couldn't guarantee easy points and money so found it easy to turn down because it's a bit difficult to get up to speed on Polish tracks when he is used to British ones.

This is a man who has previously qualified for the GP series. I read this as an admission that he has found his level and he has no interest in considering a push to get into the top level now, which seems a bit sad to me. He preferred to have a year of no racing than going out and challenging himself, trying to develop new skills and move up in the speedway World.

5 hours ago, HenryW said:

Not knowing where the offers came from, I wasn't sure where to put this post, but thought this was the best place even though it was probably lower leagues in Poland.

Wow! Just Wow!

I guess I might be reading this differently from what Craig intended, but it reads like he was made offers but decided that he couldn't guarantee easy points and money so found it easy to turn down because it's a bit difficult to get up to speed on Polish tracks when he is used to British ones.

This is a man who has previously qualified for the GP series. I read this as an admission that he has found his level and he has no interest in considering a push to get into the top level now, which seems a bit sad to me. He preferred to have a year of no racing than going out and challenging himself, trying to develop new skills and move up in the speedway World.

After taking a year out to work on his mental approach, his new mental approach seems to be exactly the same as his old mental approach :lol:

5 hours ago, HenryW said:

Wow! Just Wow!

That’s Cook though,he has mental issues hovering over him.His main one is that he is not as good as he thinks he is.There is always something to make an excuse about.

Lot of things to consider here. The full story was in the Speedway Star last week, the extract linked just seems to pick and choose items. Firstly he would be separated from his family for a time. Hasn't he just got a young child? Jason Doyle says in this weeks Star he and Troy Batchelor really struggled living in Poland this year as well. Then if Craig Cook didn't have any machinery out there, that could be another expense. Plus I'm sure he's had some bad experiences out there before about signing, then not being used after lying out money on transport and equipment. Maybe once bitten...?

Easy to sit back and just blame a lack of ambition, but often more to it than that.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Lot of things to consider here. The full story was in the Speedway Star last week, the extract linked just seems to pick and choose items. Firstly he would be separated from his family for a time. Hasn't he just got a young child? Jason Doyle says in this weeks Star he and Troy Batchelor really struggled living in Poland this year as well. Then if Craig Cook didn't have any machinery out there, that could be another expense. Plus I'm sure he's had some bad experiences out there before about signing, then not being used after lying out money on transport and equipment. Maybe once bitten...?

Easy to sit back and just blame a lack of ambition, but often more to it than that.

Think the pressure of the sport gets to him quite a lot of the time ,so maybe the break will help.I think he has probably realised his level.Never mentioned if he had employment this year.

• Like 1