British Speedway Forum

50 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I won't watch Polish speedway as i feel they are trying to dictate to others.They seem to be trying to ruin speedway in other countries to benefit themselves.

I’m watching it cos I got Premier Sports for free for three months. I’ve no great interest in any team or who wins but just fancied sone speedway.

Hopefully subsequent matches are better than the one on Friday evening which was pretty poor. 

51 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I won't watch Polish speedway as i feel they are trying to dictate to others.They seem to be trying to ruin speedway in other countries to benefit themselves.

Missing some good speedway,but that’s your prerogative.:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Named as 14 for Rybnik Przemyslaw Giera is injured so a replacement will be named an hour before the match i suspect.

Kacper Klosok 17 years old ( league debut) replaces Giera

Edited by racers and royals

Hopefully it will again be on YouTube Fridays was excellent quality Pity the racing didn’t match it 

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

Speedway in Britain doesn’t need any external help on that score. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Watching Polish Sports, they do seem to follow Handball and Volleyball in numbers, with some of those players being well known nationally. .

Their football leagues have no teams averaging over 20000 each season and several in the top league average less than 5000 a game. 

This means that most of Poland's top footballers ply their trade outside of the country to gain higher salaries..

Speedway on the other hand, brings 'world stars' to their towns...

And they also of course have loads of 'world class' riders from their own country to follow, which must make a positive difference to the level of national media coverage they recieve...

Plus running at weekend isn't a bad idea for a sport. Opening your doors when people can get there in numbers is always a plus point...

(Although this weekends crowds didn't seem too good)...;)

They run at the weekend because they can. We can’t do that here without impacting rider availability. We are bottom of the professional speedway scene.

Either we work with that, or scrape it all back and make the sport here non professional. 

I can guarantee the last one would see the sport fold here.

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Happens in all sports. The bests leagues dictate to get richer. It’s just business.

I wouldn’t let that impact your decision making, you’ll miss out on some good speedway.

Not forgetting several British clubs are unable to race at weekends 'cos their stadia are also used for other sports!!

21 minutes ago, Haza said:

Hopefully it will again be on YouTube Fridays was excellent quality Pity the racing didn’t match it 

Just be glad we've actually got some live sport after the last few months.

• Like 1

I may have missed an announcement on this elsewhere  - our friend Dave Goddard posted something maybe? - but is Premier Sports showing the rearranged Czestochowa v Grudziadz match tomorrow night do we know?

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Poland should be pleased with themselves.   How can you blame them for looking after themselves.   They lead the way on crowds, pay, TV coverage.   Rather than be upset other countries should attept to match.     

Watch some Polish speedway its very good.   Cutting your own nose off by missing out.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Watching Polish Sports, they do seem to follow Handball and Volleyball in numbers, with some of those players being well known nationally. .

Their football leagues have no teams averaging over 20000 each season and several in the top league average less than 5000 a game. 

This means that most of Poland's top footballers ply their trade outside of the country to gain higher salaries..

Speedway on the other hand, brings 'world stars' to their towns...

And they also of course have loads of 'world class' riders from their own country to follow, which must make a positive difference to the level of national media coverage they recieve...

Plus running at weekend isn't a bad idea for a sport. Opening your doors when people can get there in numbers is always a plus point...

(Although this weekends crowds didn't seem too good)...;)

You're right about Handball and Volleyball Mike.

The last time I was at Wroclaw coach station there were two huge posters on one of the walls. One was Maciej Janowski, but I didn't recognise the other.  On asking someone they told me his name (must say I can't remember it) but I do remember being told he was a handball player and he was 'very famous'.

And in a hotel I once stayed in Poznan,  the foyer had photos of both the Poznan football team and the Poznan volleyball team.

And Poznan has lots of interest  in rowing with the Lake Malta complex which, I believe, has hosted World and European Rowing Championships. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BarracudaAce said:

You're right about Handball and Volleyball Mike.

The last time I was at Wroclaw coach station there were two huge posters on one of the walls. One was Maciej Janowski, but I didn't recognise the other.  On asking someone they told me his name (must say I can't remember it) but I do remember being told he was a handball player and he was 'very famous'.

And in a hotel I once stayed in Poznan,  the foyer had photos of both the Poznan football team and the Poznan volleyball team.

And Poznan has lots of interest  in rowing with the Lake Malta complex which, I believe, has hosted World and European Rowing Championships. 

Womens Basketball is pretty big in Bydgoszcz ;)

2 hours ago, Mark said:

This goes off the Polish topic, sorry, but why do you not get value at Somerset ?  

No probs - we moved up to the top tier and in my opinion, especially the 2nd season we were there, it was the best season of speedway I’ve watched. We had such an exciting team with Doyle, Wright, Holder etc it was what I had come to expect from Somerset. 

I completely get the sums didn’t add up and they had to drop back down to make it viable but once you’ve been watching that for a few years, to drop back down, pay the same price and a few uninspiring teams in my view since, plus a change in circumstances in my current life just made it no longer value for money and viable for myself anyway. I get and understand the decision, but doesn’t mean I have to go along with it.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 2