British Speedway Forum

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

Are the numbers of track staff reduced or have to work different to normal because of Coronavirus rules ? 

In heat two of the first match yesterday it certainly looked like their wasn't many medics around..

That lad in his first crash was lying there completely unattended for a long time and even then, the person who turned up first wasn't one of the medical team..

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Well, I've watched my first 3 PPV matches on Premier Sport and I must say, while I'm more than happy to have some "Live" Speedway to watch, I'm less than happy with the coverage. It reminds me very much of how Eurosport used to be, bordering on amateurish, I wonder if this will be the shape of things to come when/if the British League gets underway on that channel.

I know the commentator is active on here so I'll not be too critical but he really needs a co-commentator to work with as even just reading tweets out during the breaks leaves him with nowhere to go other than silence. You'd think that Premier Sport would have taken in enough extra subscription money to warrant a co-commentator. I also realise there were no adverts in any of the matches over the weekend, so surely that's even more reason for a co-commentator. The commentator doesn't seem to have done his homework on the intricacies of the Polish League either, with lack of knowledge of the helmet covers, league points, tacticals, rider numbering (what's that all about!!) etc.

He's certainly more knowledgeable than that 5-1er, 3-3er guy they were using last year for some matches but I do feel he doesn't inject much excitement into his commentary, sounds more like a cricket commentary... but that's just my personal preference/opinion.

Missing heat 1 of the 1st match yesterday while they're playing promos is amateurish and unforgivable.

Having watched some of the Free Sport output last year I've become well used to not seeing the last few heats of a meeting, so I was well prepared for it and recorded the whole channel for the night!

As things stand I can't see myself renewing my subscription beyond this season should live British Speedway resume next year.

To be honest I don’t think the commentator is doing a bad job of it. No complaints from me. 

However what isn’t acceptable is charging people to sign up to the channel to then miss heats out and programme not starting when it says it should. As you say it takes you back to the Eurosport days when you never actually knew whether you were actually going to see any speedway at all because they had cycling or tennis repeats on. At least 2 of the meetings so far have either missed a race or started late. 

• Like 1

Have there been any team changes from Friday's scheduled running of tonight's match?

29 minutes ago, Dave Goddard said:

Have there been any team changes from Friday's scheduled running of tonight's match?

Can`t be 100% sure, but i would say no- however it will be around 6pm UK time before i can say definitely  no.:)

Edited by racers and royals

19 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Any news on what happened to Batchelor yesterday?

Nothing. Batchelor hasn`t posted on social media for ages and Rybnik`s report of the meeting doesn`t say anything.

There is the bit on Sportowefakty that talks about Miedzinski by the team manager

"  I analyzed a lot. The experience and equipment at his disposal allows him to go - said Kędziora before the match in nSport +"

Edited by racers and royals

12 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Nothing. Batchelor hasn`t posted on social media for ages and Rybnik`s report of the meeting doesn`t say anything.

There is the bit on Sportowefakty that talks about Miedzinski by the team manager

"  I analyzed a lot. The experience and equipment at his disposal allows him to go - said Kędziora before the match in nSport +"

It does suggest a behind the scenes row. Odd for Sportowe Fakty not to sensationalise it. 

14 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I think I’m right in saying that Miedzinski had a racesuit and bike covers all made up too, so essentially making him part of Rybnik’s squad I suppose as a ‘double upper’ using British terms? As oppose to just a ‘guest’.

Maybe they just fancied him more than Batchelor. Bizarre choice after giving him 2 rides only.

Edited by Najjer

Just now, RobMcCaffery said:

It does suggest a behind the scenes row. Odd for Sportowe Fakty not to sensationalise it. 

Yes because if he did want to use Miedzinski he could have replaced Szczepaniak.

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Early days of course but pretty underwhelmed with what I’ve seen so far, team strengths seem to vary considerably particularly at reserve. Some better racing at Gorzow but generally it’s been quite FTG thus far. Add to that Premier Sports/Sky not being able to get their act together with the recordings, both meeting yesterday missed several heats. Glad it’s free and I’m not paying! 

Great to see Robert looking so fast and aggressive, long may that continue. 

You are right this year about the team strengths, but the problem is with two sides, I feel. Lublin gambled on only small changes to their promoted side last year and it paid off. Having Pawel Miesiac progress from second tier second string to Ekstraliga heat leader after investing in machinery did help. The progress seemed to have reversed in his absence on Friday but Wroclaw are a very strong side with Drabik's progress and Chugunov filling his place at reserve. 

Rybnik haven't been able to strengthen their promoted side to anywhere near the required level. 

The match at Gorzow was far more typical of Polish speedway. Don't be put off buy those first two matches or you will miss a lot of great speedway, but do allow for the fact that it is very different over there and a lot of familiar comforts won't be there. The racing should make up for it. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Yes because if he did want to use Miedzinski he could have replaced Szczepaniak.

Something tells me Miedzinski won't be getting a second chance....Will Batchelor? There's too much money at stake to allow Rybnik to flounder all season. 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Well, I've watched my first 3 PPV matches on Premier Sport and I must say, while I'm more than happy to have some "Live" Speedway to watch, I'm less than happy with the coverage. It reminds me very much of how Eurosport used to be, bordering on amateurish, I wonder if this will be the shape of things to come when/if the British League gets underway on that channel.

I know the commentator is active on here so I'll not be too critical but he really needs a co-commentator to work with as even just reading tweets out during the breaks leaves him with nowhere to go other than silence. You'd think that Premier Sport would have taken in enough extra subscription money to warrant a co-commentator. I also realise there were no adverts in any of the matches over the weekend, so surely that's even more reason for a co-commentator. The commentator doesn't seem to have done his homework on the intricacies of the Polish League either, with lack of knowledge of the helmet covers, league points, tacticals, rider numbering (what's that all about!!) etc.

He's certainly more knowledgeable than that 5-1er, 3-3er guy they were using last year for some matches but I do feel he doesn't inject much excitement into his commentary, sounds more like a cricket commentary... but that's just my personal preference/opinion.

Missing heat 1 of the 1st match yesterday while they're playing promos is amateurish and unforgivable.

Having watched some of the Free Sport output last year I've become well used to not seeing the last few heats of a meeting, so I was well prepared for it and recorded the whole channel for the night!

As things stand I can't see myself renewing my subscription beyond this season should live British Speedway resume next year.

Without the crowd there definitely does need to be an injection of enthusiasm by the commentator to keep the races 'interesting' and that isn't his natural style. (Unlike some).:o

It must though be very hard to have 'reading out tweets' as your default go to process to fill dead air and I think he does a fair old job overall given the logistics of following the racing like we do, via a screen..

Especially with so much of the dead air due to zero adverts,..

Presumably they do have them but all will be in Polish so they just show replays of races on the Premier feed?.

And having watched plenty of NSPORT and Eleven Sports they do like a long advert break, (to pay for the racing coverage I would imagine)..

Still, racing is back, and we get to watch the very best in the world, with the rest of the 'package' I am sure being tweaked as we go along, and even if it isn't, it is still great to have Speedway back..

Can't wait for the next installment tonight...

• Like 1

Just now, Fromafar said:

I like the look of the Wroclaw Team.

Things could change if Drabik can't postpone his case until after the season. Being able to replace his points scoring at reserve was essential and thanks to a passport they have.

• Like 1